We would be MUCH better without Bannan

28 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

This. 

I am a massive Bannan fan however the pace way which we got the ball forward tonight compared to Bannan doing pirouettes was amazing. 

Exactly this. We looked for forward passes. Didn’t keep going looking behind for someone. It was fast too. It didn’t work a lot of the time, but at least we got it forward quickly and tried to make things happen.

Big Bannan fan also, but he slows the tempo down too much. Our chances tonight came from early balls into the box when the defence wasn’t set. 

Said in another thread the other day. It’s much harder to defend when your facing your goal. Gregory could have had a couple tonight from early crosses and Patterson got the winner from a good early ball in.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, graz gp said:

Will DM have the bottle to leave Bannan on the bench Saturday. I think he should, and go with the same team, injuries allowed. uto

He will stand or fall by his decisions, we've had a great result tonight against one of the better teams in this league,  he would be foolish to change it but ultimately it's his job to lose.

• Like 1

Not drawing comparisons, just interesting. Listening to the Tifo podcast talking about Kane, over compensating, doing to much at times and seeing that as essentially not having faith in your team mates to do their jobs. I'm overall a Bannan fan but I definitely think there are times when you can see this happening. He obviously has an earned superiority as well which see's him taking set pieces, again to the detriment of the collective, maybe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

He will stand or fall by his decisions, we've had a great result tonight against one of the better teams in this league,  he would be foolish to change it but ultimately it's his job to lose.

Never change a winning team, football 101 init??? 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Not drawing comparisons, just interesting. Listening to the Tifo podcast talking about Kane, over compensating, doing to much at times and seeing that as essentially not having faith in your team mates to do their jobs. I'm overall a Bannan fan but I definitely think there are times when you can see this happening. He obviously has an earned superiority as well which see's him taking set pieces, again to the detriment of the collective, maybe.

Hi again Morepork, I think you aimed that at me, so I'll take it.

I agree with what you say, no man is an island and no man's a team, I'm glad we can play and win without him, and sometimes yes being dropped may give you time to heal/rest and think about your performances. I'd argue having that asset on the bench tonight will have effected their thinking and subs, I wouldn't want to play against a hungry fit bannan after 60-70mins who's trying to prove a point.

My original comment as you know was tongue in cheek.

A team is not just about one player and the over reliance on Bannan recently is frightening and as quite frankly cost us points. How we set up with him in the side makes us slower as he wants to dictate slower pace of the game.

There was times last night where the ball was in the final third after 2/3 direct passes either into the striker or down the wings, something we haven't seen with Bannan in the side....without stating this obvious the final third is where we can hurt teams, not on the half way line watching one man turn himself inside out waiting to find a diagonal ball. last night was proof that we can operate without Bannan. 

Wing looked a little lost in the middle of the park to be honest and i don't think this is his best position but last night is food for thought for the Darren Moore.

• Like 5

If our players are running forward and working hard as they were last night Bannan doesn't need to do "silly pirouettes" to hold onto the ball. The team has never worked harder this season, how exactly does that relate to Bannan and him slowing the game down? Utter nonsense. Wing's passing last night was shambolic considering he's supposed to be a playmaking attacking midfielder, over and over he either passed to them or just hoofed the ball to nobody. Anyone who says we should keep Wing in ahead of Bannan obviously didn't watch the match last night.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Shadowl said:

Hi again Morepork, I think you aimed that at me, so I'll take it.

I agree with what you say, no man is an island and no man's a team, I'm glad we can play and win without him, and sometimes yes being dropped may give you time to heal/rest and think about your performances. I'd argue having that asset on the bench tonight will have effected their thinking and subs, I wouldn't want to play against a hungry fit bannan after 60-70mins who's trying to prove a point.

My original comment as you know was tongue in cheek.

Hey matey, 

No, not aimed at you. I'd only read Blue and whites post to be honest and I'd literally just finished listening to that pod whilst decorating......it just made me think of Baz, arguably more talented than the majority of his team mates and I could see the parallels with what they were saying about Kane. 

• Like 2

Just now, Paul.. said:

If our players are running forward and working hard as they were last night Bannan doesn't need to do "silly pirouettes" to hold onto the ball. The team has never worked harder this season, how exactly does that relate to Bannan and him slowing the game down? Utter nonsense. Wing's passing last night was shambolic considering he's supposed to be a playmaking attacking midfielder, over and over he either passed to them or just hoofed the ball to nobody. Anyone who says we should keep Wing in ahead of Bannan obviously didn't watch the match last night.

Wing did not have a great game last night but we still moved the ball quicker without Bannan.

• Like 6

Just now, NOT jack whitham said:

Wing did not have a great game last night but we still moved the ball quicker without Bannan.

Which was down to the workrate and movement of the team last night, not down to Bannan not playing. As soon as the ball is on the way to him he's looking around to see who to pass to, the problem is in recent weeks there's been nobody in space, nobody running, nobody working hard to make something happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Guest Willow Owl
58 minutes ago, Paul.. said:

Great post Paul, Nailed it. 

1 hour ago, Paul.. said:

Give over there as been numerous times were one of our players has been running forward or stood in space and Bannan as do a silly turn back on himself. If you cannot see the difference in the recent performances and last night then there is no hope for you mate.

The work rate with Bannan out of the side last night was a massive improvement....maybe just maybe the players felt more comfortable been themselves without a 5ft 3in Scotsman berating them every 4 minutes. 

Wing was the worst player in our team last night admittedly but for me that CM role isn't what he does or what he's about. Its similar to playing Reach there in previous seasons.

• Like 1