We would be MUCH better without Bannan

36 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

We won without Bannan so it’s an easier case to make. But if you think about it we only won because of a fluke own goal. With Bannan on the pitch and the extra energy we had last night we could have score three or four….

Alternatively Bannan starts and we fail to get a second goal due to our build-up play becoming much slower?

Look - in terms of ability, Bannan is the probably the best player in the squad. Few players at this level possess his range of passing. But his tendency to sit deep and dictate a slow tempo is at times absolutely infuriating, and probably the main reason why despite all plaudits showered on him by pundits and fans, no other club has shown any real interest in signing him.

Edited by SquirrelSlingshot
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SquirrelSlingshot said:

Look - in terms of ability, Bannan is the probably the best player in the squad. Few players at this level possess his range of passing. But his tendency to sit deep and dictate a slow tempo is at times absolutely infuriating, and probably the main reason why despite all plaudits showered on him by pundits and fans, no other club has shown any real interest in signing him.

AAAGGHHHH I'm getting pulled across to the Better without Bannan crew again

FFS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, SquirrelSlingshot said:

Alternatively Bannan starts and we fail to get a second goal due to our build-up play becoming much slower?

Maybe your right. Maybe I’m right. Maybe it’s somewhere between the two. Looking forward to Saturday to hopefully find out!

2 hours ago, Paul.. said:

If our players are running forward and working hard as they were last night Bannan doesn't need to do "silly pirouettes" to hold onto the ball. The team has never worked harder this season, how exactly does that relate to Bannan and him slowing the game down? Utter nonsense. Wing's passing last night was shambolic considering he's supposed to be a playmaking attacking midfielder, over and over he either passed to them or just hoofed the ball to nobody. Anyone who says we should keep Wing in ahead of Bannan obviously didn't watch the match last night.

Bannan slows the pace down - looks to play it backwards - At least we had 3 midfielders who's intention was a forward attacking pass. We have had several managers and the style of football has always been based around bannan so it has basically changed very little and where has that style got us? LEAGUE 1

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

Last night was a faster tempo and was end to end. Was that because Bannan wasn’t playing? We’ll not find out because he’ll be back in the team on Saturday. 

If we use Barry and it's slower, would that be enough to justify leaving him out in future games?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

We won without Bannan so it’s an easier case to make. But if you think about it we only won because of a fluke own goal. With Bannan on the pitch and the extra energy we had last night we could have score three or four….

We should have scored 3 or 4 last night 

Despite the saviour not being on the pitch..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AndersonOWL said:

Bannan slows the pace down - looks to play it backwards - At least we had 3 midfielders who's intention was a forward attacking pass. We have had several managers and the style of football has always been based around bannan so it has basically changed very little and where has that style got us? LEAGUE 1

Or maybe he's such a big character and player for the team the other players look to him more than they should, so they don't try things for themselves, which they were forced to last night

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morepork said:

Hey matey, 

No, not aimed at you. I'd only read Blue and whites post to be honest and I'd literally just finished listening to that pod whilst decorating......it just made me think of Baz, arguably more talented than the majority of his team mates and I could see the parallels with what they were saying about Kane. 

Sorry I got defensive as I thought I was reading a post in my own thread and got confused, my apologies

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Give over there as been numerous times were one of our players has been running forward or stood in space and Bannan as do a silly turn back on himself. If you cannot see the difference in the recent performances and last night then there is no hope for you mate.

The work rate with Bannan out of the side last night was a massive improvement....maybe just maybe the players felt more comfortable been themselves without a 5ft 3in Scotsman berating them every 4 minutes. 

Wing was the worst player in our team last night admittedly but for me that CM role isn't what he does or what he's about. Its similar to playing Reach there in previous seasons.

well said - Bannan demands the ball to then pass it backwards - I like the directness of last night - actually an exciting match for one

• Like 3

Notwithstanding the win, we weren't that convincing, lets not get carried away. Solid in the first half, but created nothing. Had a good 30 minute spell in the second half and should have scored more, but hanging on the for last 10-15 minutes.

Same could be said for many other games, with (or without) Bannan. No point cutting our noses off to spite our face, won plenty of games with Bannan too.

Wigan were basic, but can see why they've been effective against the opposition they've played. Apart from Rotherham who they played early doors, when form throughout the league  hit and miss, the only 'top' (in the sense you'd expect them to be challenging for promotion) opposition they've played were Sunderland and lost twice. Excellent win though, taking nothing away from our performance, but counts for little unless we build on it, irrespective who plays on Saturday.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AndersonOWL said:

well said - Bannan demands the ball to then pass it backwards - I like the directness of last night - actually an exciting match for one

The directness had nothing to do with Bannan not playing it was a change of tactics from Moore , 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1