What exactly is wrong with Sheffield Wednesday?

37 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

chansiri

It feels like we've had a few months of relief which has given some people hope. Common sense would suggest that you can't undo years of disastrous ownership in such a short time plus some free transfers. The fear is, normal service will be resumed in the next half a dozen games if there isn't an upturn in our on field performances. The soundbites we've heard from players over the last couple of weeks about performances not being good enough or acceptable feels like deja vu. The mentality/character void also feels eerily familiar. 

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sadly I think that although we're a famous old established team it's down to us not being an established PL team.

We don't have a big shiny trophy cabinet and a big shiny stadium to attract the type of serious owners with money and intelligence who employ the quality directors in shiny suits to do the business.

Basically we're not shiny enough.

13 hours ago, Michaeltheowl said:

I’m very concerned about the big picture here, not just at present but on a timescale that runs over decades.

We seem keen enough to blame the covid, the 6 point deduction, etc, for Wednesday’s present woes, but to be honest we’d be blind if we failed to detect  some serious, long term, underlying problem here.

The covid has only been with us for 20 months, and has affected every club, not just Wednesday, but almost none of the other clubs have failed to pay their players and slid down the league into a position wholly disproportionate to Wednesday’s true station.

How do we account for the difference between them and us?

The 6-points deduction is another straw that we cling to. But promotion class clubs routinely pull 30 or even 40 points above the relegation zone! Routinely! Every season!

To them, 6 points is nothing. It only requires an extra 2 ... two... wins, over forty-six games!

But in a disturbing contrast with these promotion- deserving clubs, Wednesday couldn’t do it.

And how do we account for that?

Nor does luck come into it. Arsenal has been in the top flight for 100 years. Everton for 70. Good boardroom management is just that.. good management. They know what they’re doing!!

We can’t blame the lack of a fan base either. Ours is a Premier League level fan base!

So what on earth is wrong? We haven’t seen the Premiership for 20 years! 
What is wrong, in my humble opinion, is in the boardroom. They handle the finances, they recruit the team managers,  and on a historical timescale Wednesday has consistently failed to build a team far more important than the one on the pitch... the Chairman and Directors who control the whole smash.

Any company will succeed if it is consistently run by polished experts who know what they’re doing. But if not, it will decline and fail.

And that, in a nutshell, is the difference between  the Arsenals and Evertons of this world, and Sheffield Wednesday.

Manchester United for example, has a team of directors which includes men like Bobby Charlton, working together with polished executives who know how to run a football company, and are just as good at that as Charlton was on the pitch. They look on their club as a serious entity, not a toy to be owned by a rich kid somewhere as his plaything.

Wednesday’s chairman, by contrast, is very good at canning tuna fish.

I’d like to hear your views.

We are just a biggish but historically fairly badly run club. Mediocrity is our fate. I now embrace and cherish the club for what she is. It’s like loving your smelly old dog who’s now ancient, hasn’t got any teeth and shîts on the kitchen floor….

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We've struggled to adapt to the modern game post PL formation. 

Pre PL, When the top 20 or so clubs used to be on a fairly even wicket, we could compete with a good manager Wilko, BFR etc. However, we stood still in the late 90s and with some poor off-the-field decisions, which ensured we fell out of the PL without a whimper. Of course in the Wednesday way it was the last season of no parachute payments.

Since 2000, I've seen 4 decent seasons in 20, with 2 of them in the third tier. It's frightening really and I always feel that football's moved on without us.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

From what I can see we are somewhat cursed and seem to make wrong decisions at pivotal times

Stuff like joining the alliance instead of football league

To be fair, this wasn't our decision. We applied to join the FL, but were rejected. 

• Like 1

So many things have gone wrong, so many bad decisions and sadly too many to list.

I guess it's a combination of so so many fuckups and missed opportunities over the years which have landed us where we are.

Could've been so different if somebody had realised a certain Frenchman was decent on grass.

And if we'd signed Lombardo, Rasiak and Chris Greenacre.

14 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

I think what is wrong with Wednesday is having fans like you, when it's hot and sunny "boo hoo, it's too hot" and when it rains "boo hoo, I miss the sun" that in a nutshell explains it

Yeah right blame the fans keep clapping

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Michaeltheowl said:

I’m very concerned about the big picture here, not just at present but on a timescale that runs over decades.

We seem keen enough to blame the covid, the 6 point deduction, etc, for Wednesday’s present woes, but to be honest we’d be blind if we failed to detect  some serious, long term, underlying problem here.

The covid has only been with us for 20 months, and has affected every club, not just Wednesday, but almost none of the other clubs have failed to pay their players and slid down the league into a position wholly disproportionate to Wednesday’s true station.

How do we account for the difference between them and us?

The 6-points deduction is another straw that we cling to. But promotion class clubs routinely pull 30 or even 40 points above the relegation zone! Routinely! Every season!

To them, 6 points is nothing. It only requires an extra 2 ... two... wins, over forty-six games!

But in a disturbing contrast with these promotion- deserving clubs, Wednesday couldn’t do it.

And how do we account for that?

Nor does luck come into it. Arsenal has been in the top flight for 100 years. Everton for 70. Good boardroom management is just that.. good management. They know what they’re doing!!

We can’t blame the lack of a fan base either. Ours is a Premier League level fan base!

So what on earth is wrong? We haven’t seen the Premiership for 20 years! 
What is wrong, in my humble opinion, is in the boardroom. They handle the finances, they recruit the team managers,  and on a historical timescale Wednesday has consistently failed to build a team far more important than the one on the pitch... the Chairman and Directors who control the whole smash.

Any company will succeed if it is consistently run by polished experts who know what they’re doing. But if not, it will decline and fail.

And that, in a nutshell, is the difference between  the Arsenals and Evertons of this world, and Sheffield Wednesday.

Manchester United for example, has a team of directors which includes men like Bobby Charlton, working together with polished executives who know how to run a football company, and are just as good at that as Charlton was on the pitch. They look on their club as a serious entity, not a toy to be owned by a rich kid somewhere as his plaything.

Wednesday’s chairman, by contrast, is very good at canning tuna fish.

I’d like to hear your views.

Effectively the big problem with SWFC over the last 7 years is one man who does not know what he is doing.

You wouldn't put someone who couldn't drive in charge of a bus full of kids.

But we freely give people with money a free reign to do what they want with a community asset that SWFC once was. There are so many issues at all levels of the club that a competent experienced footballing business man could sort, but instead our owner surrounds himself with yes men and women instead of the right men and women to run the club.

We will continue to stumble from one disaster to the next until proper leadership is in place in all areas.

Team management at all age level, marketing management, sponsorship management, day to day running of the club etc. 

We should not be losing £15-20m a season and going backwards.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

If we win our game in hand we are in the playoffs and it's still only September

IF….,what Spartans after raising an Army after Thymopyle said to the Persians when told if we beat you we will raze Greece to the ground. IF… such a small word but massive to the Club and fanbase

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

In last 25 years they has only been Milan Manderic who has been in charge who left the club in a better state than he found it.

Really did he really?

3 minutes ago, parajack said:

IF….,what Spartans after raising an Army after Thymopyle said to the Persians when told if we beat you we will raze Greece to the ground. IF… such a small word but massive to the Club and fanbase

Good grief where to start with thislol

Edited by soldierboyblue
  • Like 1