Reading - Points Deduction

Guest Jack the Hat
Just now, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

It's not right so though is it?

Just the inevitable consequence of a broken system that was only adopted in the first place because the EPL strong armed the EFL to adopt the rules that skew massively in protecting the status quo.

Agree. It's not right. As long as failure payments exist in the premier league, champ teams should be under no spending restrictions otherwise all it will do is create a revolving door for teams relegated.

Why are clubs getting the opportunity to negotiate their punishment with the EFL?

Is this partly as a result of the EFL being heavy handed with our initial 12-point deduction which went down by 50% on appeal? Of course, by the time we got 6 points back we had already endured a summer of nobody worth their salt wanting to join a club on minus 12 points. Maybe it wouldn't have made much of a difference anyway, but maybe if we had originally been deducted 6 points before the start of the season we might have found 1 or 2 better players that could have earned us a few points more last season. 

That's so 2019....we were getting points deductions for overspending way before it was fashionable. Now everyone is copying us!

(or maybe FFP isn't fit for purpose as many people suggested several years ago :ph34r:)

Edited by striker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What a ridiculous set of circumstances, we could be left in a situation where just 1 relegation place is going to be decided on the pitch this season.

I get the whole “don’t break FFP don’t get a deduction” but it’s just making the league table farcical, we could be left in a position where 4 Championship sides in the space of 3 seasons have been relegated due to points deduction.

It just ruins the whole competition as a spectacle.

Edited by TrickyTrev
  • Like 5

It's a mockery when Teams willing to spend money in the Championship and below are punished but the top teams such as Man City can splash 100m on a player with no consequences.

Limitations are needed throughout all of football, wage limits and transfer limits, a equal playing field, there shouldn't be a difference between Burnley and Man City just because of the income of the club but this has to start from the top downwards, not from the bottom up like they are trying.

Problem is the premier league won't want it, the FA won't want it, they want English football to be the dominate force in world football they want the big TV deals and their product shown all over the globe.

Sadly it's all down to money and the people at the top are making money selling a product.

The gap between the Premier and Championship is ever growing, and all it's leading too is more money in the championship to go for broke to get to the big time because the money is astronomical.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

It's not right so though is it?

Just the inevitable consequence of a broken system that was only adopted in the first place because the EPL strong armed the EFL to adopt the rules that skew massively in protecting the status quo.

£40m wage bill in the Championship, rightly so I'm afraid. 

41 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

champ teams should be under no spending restrictions otherwise all it will do is create a revolving door for teams relegated.

I need this one explaining to me

I don't understand what you mean
Are you saying spending restrictions force clubs to be spending more?

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Readings last accounts showed a wage to income ratio of 211%!!!

UEFA guidelines for sustainability is 70%

Combined losses of over £120m over the last 3 seasons.

if anyone deserves a points deduction it’s Reading 

They had a wage bill of £40m in ONE YEAR. 

17 minutes ago, Goose said:

I agree with this, but at the same time no debt should be left with the club. Every team must break even at the end of the year, so if an owner wants to put £5, 10, 20 million in they can, but the debts with them not the club.

I agree to a point but it would need to go further… for me the wage bill must be less than the turnover of the club by some way. That way if the wealthy owner leaves the club can still support itself.

we were crippled by more than just rediculous spending on transfer fees… the wages is what did for us in the end as it did when we fell out the Prem all those years ago.

failure payments need to go though. 

• Like 1