Premier League 21/22

Everton are interested in Belgium manager Roberto Martinez returning to the club and have made initial contact with the Belgian Football Association.

Belgium are reluctant to lose the Spaniard, 48, with the World Cup in Qatar in November and believe they will retain his services.

He managed Everton from 2013 until he was sacked in 2016.

:duntmatter:

I see Burnley have requested their game against watford tomorrow due to covid and injuries

Be interesting to see what happens - especially after they ley arsenal postpone their game similarly

If not allowed Burnley will feel doubly aggrieved as this game is a rearrangement when watford were able to get the original game called off 2 hours before kick off

Compare Everton to Wolves.

The latter look to have a squad of real talent and balance and a manager who knows exactly what he is doing.  Their wide player Ait Nouri look a world beater every time I have seen him play, i had never heard of him before this season.  

Everton meanwhile have a squad which is mess, no balance, players with big names and massive salaries with little resale value.  

13 hours ago, scram said:

I see Burnley have requested their game against watford tomorrow due to covid and injuries

Be interesting to see what happens - especially after they ley arsenal postpone their game similarly

If not allowed Burnley will feel doubly aggrieved as this game is a rearrangement when watford were able to get the original game called off 2 hours before kick off

Been called off that game

Don't think Sean Dyche wanted to call it off but they only have 10 first team players available

24 minutes ago, scram said:

The PL don't really have an option now they let arsenal call their game off

It's clearly gone beyond covid now to just player unavailability for whatever reason

These might bite some of these teams on the bum.

Congestion later on in season, plus i always think better to have points rather than be adrift with games in hand. Albeit if some of these postponing teams are now active in the transfer market and play these games with better squads that wont be on.

watford called off the original game against burnley in very suspect circumstances - they had a depleted squad playing a direct relegation rival and only announced 2 hours prior to kick off they had a covid outbreak...

I think Burnley may have reciprocated somewhat with the loss of Cornet to the African nations and then the sale of Chris Wood - along with a few absentees

So it probably suits them to maybe even recruit in this window and be in a stronger position when the teams do play each other

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Compare Everton to Wolves.

The latter look to have a squad of real talent and balance and a manager who knows exactly what he is doing.  Their wide player Ait Nouri look a world beater every time I have seen him play, i had never heard of him before this season.  

Everton meanwhile have a squad which is mess, no balance, players with big names and massive salaries with little resale value.  

Everton have had a lot of injuries to be fair to them. They’ve been without DCL, Richarlison most of the season. Also lost Rodriguez and Sigurdsson in the summer. Benitez also fell out with Digne one of their better players.

For some reason they didn’t carry on investing last summer. Previously they’d signed Allan, Godfrey, Doucoure who were good signings. This year they signed Andros Townsend and Salamon Rondon - two bang average players at PL level.

Potter on being linked with other clubs. 

The mistake is often to think you are better than you are and can succeed in any environment," he added. "That is not the case.

"I am ambitious. I want to succeed. But I am no magician. I need help. To be successful as a coach, you need good people around you - staff, board, CEO, the strategy of the club, the structures around it, the players. I have got senior players here who are so helpful and supportive.

"We have a fantastic chairman who provides the clarity, vision and support for us all and allows us to get on with our work.

"Everything around the club gives you a chance as a coach

This is so relevent to us as a club. Any manager that manages Swfc has almost none of that. Or none of that in a quality capacity. That is why everyone struggles here. We have no system, plan, structure.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, scram said:

The PL don't really have an option now they let arsenal call their game off

It's clearly gone beyond covid now to just player unavailability for whatever reason

It's getting a bit farcical, some obvious ' tactical'  postponements. 

I think ' the media' are on clubs backs as well about it. It is a bit ridiculous to think that these premier league teams cannot field a side due to a lack of players and quite a few journos are trolling clubs over ot.

As it is, the season is a bit of a mess now, with some clubs playing 5 more games more than others..it seems to be tactical to ensure a top 4 or top 7 place , or to give the best chance of avoiding relegation. 

Meanwhile, Man City have just launched themselves clear at the top, so there isn't a title race either.

Not a vintage Premier League year 

46 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I think ' the media' are on clubs backs as well about it. It is a bit ridiculous to think that these premier league teams cannot field a side due to a lack of players and quite a few journos are trolling clubs over ot.

As it is, the season is a bit of a mess now, with some clubs playing 5 more games more than others..it seems to be tactical to ensure a top 4 or top 7 place , or to give the best chance of avoiding relegation. 

Meanwhile, Man City have just launched themselves clear at the top, so there isn't a title race either.

Not a vintage Premier League year 

Its why I said that the PL signs should have made it clear that all games would go ahead and any club not fulfilling a fixture concedes the match

Just nonsense now because the PL are a joke

3 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Liverpool claimed numerous positive covid tests, then backtracked and claimed they were mostly false-positives.

Someone calculated how unlikely it is to have got so many false-positives. It was astronomically unlikely.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Liverpool claimed numerous positive covid tests, then backtracked and claimed they were mostly false-positives.

Someone calculated how unlikely it is to have got so many false-positives. It was astronomically unlikely.

Got swept under the rug pretty fast didn’t it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Yes, I think Klopp dropped a clanger by blurting it out.

EFL decided not to investigate further.

Rick Parry (ex-Liverpool chief exec) in charge of the EFL these days.

Make of that what you will.

Call it a hunch, but I doubt the likes of us would have got away with it so lightly. 

The EFL kowtowing to the top dogs in the PL is nothing new. I mean Mr Parry wanted us all to sign up to operation big picture which would have absolutely consolidated their power at the top.

• Like 1