LEWIS GIBSON

Guest LondonOwl313
23 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

The problem with Palmer is that hes at best a solid and unspectacular RB, whos asked more often than not to play a wingback type role.

Wingbacks nowadays need to be end to end fast, able to defend, able to beat a man, and they need to offer and provide a level of threat and assists. 

While Palmer is usually okay at defending, hes not super fast, his positioning can be suss at times and he provides little to no threat or assists across a season. If we play this season with a flat back 4 with minimal overlapping from the back, Palmer is fine by me. If we play with overlapping wingbacks though, as many expect, Palmer either needs to up his game or move over. 

Good squad player, but not really a first choice wingback for me at least. Hope he proves me.wrong, but dont fancy more than 2 assists from him tops this year. 

He’ll be second choice behind Hunt anyway on the right hand side.. can’t see him being left back when we have Brown, Johnson and now Gibson who can play there and are left footed. So think Palmer will be on the bench mostly.. or moving on as some were linking him with Forest but not seen anything more on that 

11 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

He’ll be second choice behind Hunt anyway on the right hand side.. can’t see him being left back when we have Brown, Johnson and now Gibson who can play there and are left footed. So think Palmer will be on the bench mostly.. or moving on as some were linking him with Forest but not seen anything more on that 

I wouldn't write Palmer off just yet. It's been tried many times before and 12 years and 300** games later he's still here.

A great servant to the club, long may it continue.

** All competitions. Ranks him 29th in the all time appearance list just 1 behind Peter Swan.

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 7

Guest LondonOwl313
11 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

I wouldn't write Palmer off just yet. It's been tried many times before and 12 years and 300** games later he's still here.

A great servant to the club, long may it continue.

** All competitions. Ranks him 29th in the all time appearance list just 1 behind Peter Swan.

I think he’ll stay but lose his place in the side.. Hunt is definitely first choice right back, we saw that in 2015-18. Left back he has a chance because Gibson hasn’t signed yet, Johnson is probably more of a midfielder and Brown is unproven.. but it’s not his natural side and he can’t cross  with his weaker foot

Guest Kagoshimaowl
8 hours ago, malek said:

One of those players I would have been happy with last season in League above. 

Only one? Hard to please

5 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I think he’ll stay but lose his place in the side.. Hunt is definitely first choice right back, we saw that in 2015-18. Left back he has a chance because Gibson hasn’t signed yet, Johnson is probably more of a midfielder and Brown is unproven.. but it’s not his natural side and he can’t cross  with his weaker foot

It’s a fifty plus game season and full back in an attacking side is a position where you use a lot of energy. I imagine there’ll be a fair amount of rotation with Hunt playing 30 or so games there and Palmer the other 20. 

• Like 3