George Byers incoming

Guest Jack the Hat
3 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Yeah. Can’t see those two along with Adeniran, Wing & Byers hanging around to sit on the bench. Which is what will happen should Byers sign. 

we'll see

It’s a 46 game season. Add in 2 games in the real cups and however many games they play now in the pretend cups there’ll be plenty of game time to go around for everyone. 

Take into account our record with injuries, and I think cover / competition for Bannan is pretty necessary. 

Edited by Random Task

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Byers is hardly a swap for Bannan.

Bannan is ever-present. Byers has had injury and form issues keeping him out of Portsmouth’s starting Xl last season. 

Hopefully it’s to strengthen rather than weaken our options. Hunt out, Byers in - that strengthens. 

I think Hunt could come again if he can bulk up a little without slowing down.

Looking at what Moore has done so far I think we are moving towards a very decent L1 squad. The addition of good proven creative players along side youth is definitely the right strategy. I don’t think Bannan will leave in this window and I think the plan is to have multiple options and a bench that can actually make a difference to the outcome of games. If Bannan or gets injured we aren’t then utterly devoid of creativity. 

Obviously all my optimism hinges on us getting a striker or two in, but my fears that no one would want to play for us after the player pay issues seem to have been unfounded. 

Guest Willow Owl
23 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I think Hunt could come again if he can bulk up a little without slowing down.

He’s been on the fringes now under last 4 managers. Should be a permanent on match day now if he’s ever going to make it. 

5 hours ago, owlinexile said:

Also, FDB is rubbish.  So there is that...

Man city didn't want him to leave but he's rubbish ffs!

The kids got power, touch, pace, strength, aggression! Not sure what else people are expecting from a young lad at this stage in his career? Experience is the only thing he lacks! 

• Like 2

I think it’s clear we will be playing with 3 central ish midfielders , 

so 2 for each position :

bazza 

luongo

adenrian

wing

byers (if it happens)

dele B

get hunt and waldock on loan 

we know injury issues of luongo , bazza 31! 32 in December could he play 90 mins 46 games (I know it’s never been an issue before) however age is a factor , 

Still need Dele to show in league games he can be a key player so don’t think he’s particularly going to demand a sterling berth .

That’s my personal view but wouldn’t be surprised if Byers coming in did mean bannan would be going 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

Man city didn't want him to leave but he's rubbish ffs!

The kids got power, touch, pace, strength, aggression! Not sure what else people are expecting from a young lad at this stage in his career? Experience is the only thing he lacks! 

Yes, City were desperate to keep him there. Bloody hell, they probably have at least 70 players we don't have any chance of signing - Dele Bashiru wasn't one of them. This year he wouldn't get into City's U-23 squad. 

He got good physical attributes, but his touch is very poor as is his passing skill and technique in general. His tactical awarenes and decision making are poor as well. But to his credit he seems to be working hard in training and started improving. 

Just now, malek said:

Yes, City were desperate to keep him there. Bloody hell, they probably have at least 70 players we don't have any chance of signing - Dele Bashiru wasn't one of them. This year he wouldn't get into City's U-23 squad. 

He got good physical attributes, but his touch is very poor as is his passing skill and technique in general. His tactical awarenes and decision making are poor as well. But to his credit he seems to be working hard in training and started improving. 

Sounds like a young Carlton Palmer.

• Like 1

Guest Smackavolley
8 minutes ago, malek said:

He's got good attributes.

Just seems to lack concentration and focus. He's a big unit but lazy.

Him and Adedoyin were both too greedy in the U23's. If the coaches have addressed that, they could do well at this level. Wouldn't discount either of them.

Gotta think that if Bannan goes then you have decent replacements in Wing and potentially Byers with the likes of Dele/Bashiru also learning his craft still for the ACM role.

Can’t help but think we need to change our style of play anyway and if Bannan goes this would be much easier to do.

Our biggest loss currently would be Windass as we were already short on numbers in the final third.

• Like 1

As good a player Bannan is we are one dimensional with him in the team.  Bannan playing deep often slows the play down.  

Sometimes you have to improve by moving on your best players and getting in a few good ones.  The big question is whether our current midfielders and new additions are good enough.  Not long before the start of the season now!

We are in desperate need of an out and out goal scorer.  That has to be a priority.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Of course the opposition want to focus on BB and stop him as he's our best player.

If that stops Wednesday it's because the other midfield players haven't been good enough. There's not been anyone capable of stepping up to the plate  and imposing themselves if BB is marked out of the game.

The nearest to Bannan in ability is Luongo but he's rarely been available.

Hopefully now we are bringing better midfielders to play alongside BB  and reduce our reliance on him being MOM every game.

This all day long.

BB's had loads of stick but had to do the work of 2 all last season. He's had some very limited players around him and his form has struggled for that.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Smackavolley said:

He's got good attributes.

Just seems to lack concentration and focus. He's a big unit but lazy.

Him and Adedoyin were both too greedy in the U23's. If the coaches have addressed that, they could do well at this level. Wouldn't discount either of them.

Completely agree. 

My concern regarding Dele Bashiru is that he came from Manchester City academy and they are famous for drilling this qualities in their graduates and players usually come out of their academy with solid tehnical and tactical basis. 

Seen fair bit of Adedoyin at Everton academy and to me he looked much better when played wide than as a classical striker. Even when he wasn't on form he created problems for opposition with his physicality and direct running but often looked dissinterested when not on a ball.