George Byers incoming

2 minutes ago, Bleeder said:

This all day long.

BB's had loads of stick but had to do the work of 2 all last season. He's had some very limited players around him and his form has struggled for that.

We often tried to play passing football while only player we had on the pitch who is really comfortable on the ball and knows how to play passing football was Bannan. 

Strangly Bannan got lot of stick while trying to do too much trying hard to compensate for lack of quality around him. 

• Like 9

With the interest in Byers, it does look like we could be going with a conventional 4-3-3 next season. No point in buying more central midfielders if we are only playing 2 in there.

Could someone confirm what our formation was like last night? Was it a conventional 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1? Ta

7 hours ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Don’t know much about Byers

But considering we’re broke, you’d assume we won’t carry both him and Bannan

Probably best for all that we get a bit of coin in Bannan and he gets to play at a higher level for his last few years

We need a fresh approach

Totally agree,BB is a class act,everyone agree's on that,but in recent seasons I have tired of everything going through him,and than endless sideways and back passes that lead to nothing.he has at time i feel also struggled with form....

He goes honourably,but we could really do with saving on his reported salary,and you wonder if the team can move forward,with him remaining..Too much baggage? history? Just needs to move on,get a fresh challenge...& let us do the same.

• Like 3

You have to look who BB has had alongside him midfield this last two seasons and the tactics that the managers have employed. Instead of getting rid perhaps we are looking at bringing someone in to compliment him. The best midfield in my time was Palmer and Sheridan. But neither were as good without the other. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

He's only 21 remember - 

Fair point,  just seems to be treading water with no progression. Would love to be proved wrong but cannot see him making it at this level or above. 

32 minutes ago, Plonk said:

You have to look who BB has had alongside him midfield this last two seasons and the tactics that the managers have employed. Instead of getting rid perhaps we are looking at bringing someone in to compliment him. The best midfield in my time was Palmer and Sheridan. But neither were as good without the other. 

Not as good without each other? Loads times they played alongside other players? Wilson harkes Jones Hyde ? They were both very good players who could do it in other teams, agree both at their best with each other though 

Guest Willow Owl
35 minutes ago, Plonk said:

I think the tactics of the last couple of managers have stifled BB attacking capabilities. Under Moore I can see a much more attacking style which will suit BB. Agree with you, how can getting rid of your best player benefit the side.

BB struggles when people (forwards - I know we don't have any) don't make those forward runs. Remember that chipped pass he put through for Joao at Hillsborough and he just guided his header over the keeper. Wonderful (I forget who it was against).

2 hours ago, Bigblueowl said:

Man city didn't want him to leave but he's rubbish ffs!

The kids got power, touch, pace, strength, aggression! Not sure what else people are expecting from a young lad at this stage in his career? Experience is the only thing he lacks! 

Yeah.

Man City wanted to keep him but he decided to sign for a struggling Championship side's development squad instead.

That's exactly what happened.

38 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Also agree Bannan gone from playing with lee Lopez ff Wallace to playing with inferior players last few seasons which sometimes resulted in Bannan trying to force things and dropping deeper and deeper under frustration 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BridportOwl said:

BB struggles when people (forwards - I know we don't have any) don't make those forward runs. Remember that chipped pass he put through for Joao at Hillsborough and he just guided his header over the keeper. Wonderful (I forget who it was against).

Preston 

• Like 1

If Byers is truly on his way here I feel it must be some form of exchange deal involving Bannan. Our central midfield with Bannan, Luongo, Wing, Byers, Adeniran, FDB and Hunt is looking crowded compared to other areas of the team. It seems the time is right to allow Bannan a fresh start which in turn gives Moore a chance to improve the tempo of our play. 

Even if Bannan stays our transition from defence to attack through midfield needs to be more direct. Hutchinson is our only central defender capable of bringing the ball out of defence with an eye for a telling pass. He is vocal and far less prone to picking up needless cards playing in defence. Seems the obvious choice to me and why not a club captain in Dunkley and on field captain Hutchinson. 

4 minutes ago, Swingin' Sixties said:

If Byers is a target, do you think that Swansea will make a decision (a) after the new manager is appointed and (b) once he has assessed his playing strength?

Not many clubs wait till managers tell them to move on or bring in players anymore. 

4 minutes ago, Swingin' Sixties said:

If Byers is a target, do you think that Swansea will make a decision (a) after the new manager is appointed and (b) once he has assessed his playing strength?

Bit late for that they have given him permission to talk to us.

10 hours ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Don’t know much about Byers

But considering we’re broke, you’d assume we won’t carry both him and Bannan

Probably best for all that we get a bit of coin in Bannan and he gets to play at a higher level for his last few years

We need a fresh approach

Dont know much about history

• Haha 2