Goalkeeping Situation - Dawson / Wildsmith

6 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Ideally get one of them out on loan , and have other as back up to whoever , good freebies out there include :

luke Daniels - former Scunthorpe, Brentford , wba , very experienced 

Age 33

Frank fielding -  former millwall , derby , Bristol city ; 

age 33

Jamaal Blackman :plenty of loan spells in efl ; at leeds ; Sheff u , rotherham amongst others 

age 27 

Marcus betteneli : ex Fulham 

age 29

Blackman would be absolutely ideal! A great age, pedigree, great experience in the Championship, League 1 and 2, and an imposing presence....and like you said, obviously isn't afraid to leave Landon Town and come to Yorkshire too! A player to build a team around.

But, he's used to overly inflated Chelsea youth wages, and that's why I dont think we'll be interested unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong.

The longer we go with our two though, does make me think whether Moore has just brought in Basso to try and remedy the issue, as he's probably not got the budget to stretch to bringing in a new keeper! Dawson and Wildsmiths pre-season form is even worse than we were all expecting though, so it must be apparent now to Moore...unless, if Basso is telling Moore that they're is something there with these two and to not do anything yet...don't know.

Another thing, how come we've not had a bloody keeper on trial in these pre-season games? Yes, a striker as well, but the longer this goes on the more worried I am about the new season.

I used to think Dawson was the better of the to, now I'd say Wildsmith is slightly better but still not good enough.

When Dawson makes a bad mistake early on he has occasionally fallen to pieces, as against Rotherham (lost 3-0 all down to his errors) and Brentford just before first lockdown (lost 5-0).

Wildsmith would do well trying to emulate David Seaman rather than copy his hairstyle.

10 hours ago, Ian said:

Are you kidding...parry shots away?...christ there'd be a meltdown on here if any of our keepers parry a shot away (unless it was Westwood)

Despite the fact that the Euro's was full of the worlds best doing exactly that

Dawson parries straight back to the forward tho...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Is that meaning we have to get him out first to get new keeper in ? Hopefully not 

It will most likely mean they’ve told his agent he can look for a new club and they will grant a a free transfer to get him off the wage bill.

Given our current finances I would expect a lot of future incomings will be dependent on someone coming off the wage bill to make space for them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

It will most likely mean they’ve told his agent he can look for a new club and they will grant a a free transfer to get him off the wage bill.

Given our current finances I would expect a lot of future incomings will be dependent on someone coming off the wage bill to make space for them.

whilst you are probably correct surely we are saving so much money on wages now with the likes of Rhodes, Westwood, Reach leaving and the players we have bought in so far will be on so little compared to them. 

Our biggest problem for sure. Without sorting this out we're in for a frustrating season.

It's like having tweedle dum and tweedle dee in net with these two as there aren't really any positives in either. Cannot believe the rumours about Dawson's contract. Absolute madness. 

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

whilst you are probably correct surely we are saving so much money on wages now with the likes of Rhodes, Westwood, Reach leaving and the players we have bought in so far will be on so little compared to them. 

It just means our costs are lower with those off the wage bill. Our turnover will be massively down, we’ve had next to no money coming into the club for over a year, anything the club can do to cut costs further they will do.

The club won’t keep players if they can get them a move when they aren’t going to play. I’m expecting a small streamlined squad of young players for the next few years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

It just means our costs are lower with those off the wage bill. Our turnover will be massively down, we’ve had next to no money coming into the club for over a year, anything the club can do to cut costs further they will do.

The club won’t keep players if they can get them a move when they aren’t going to play. I’m expecting a small streamlined squad of young players for the next few years.

Yep agree it’s all relative. £8m less revenue for being in L1 alone too.

Dawson on approx £9k and Wildsmith £5k is a lot for L1! 

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
6 hours ago, Rogers said:

What happened to these guys, not progressed or lacking in confidence? 

A few on here where really keen on getting Westwood out for one of these 2, yet it seems every time they got a chance, they made basic errors. (And to be fair, pulled off the odd good save). 

What did people see in these two, to want them to keep the number 1 shirt? 

The way some on here went on about how bad Westwood was and how these two clowns were the future and needed to be played, I came to the conclusion that they must be related to them. 

They’re both local lads so it’s quite likely some people on here know them personally. You’d have to be blind though to think they’re better keepers than Westwood even at 36

Whenever I’ve seen Dawson or Wildsmith in goal over the last couple of seasons they’ve looked completely shot of confidence.

I still think Dawson is better than Wildsmith but there’s not much in it if I’m being honest and I think a move for either or both keepers would be beneficial to both them and the club.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, torryowl said:

They'll do well to find  wildsmith a club that will match the contract he has here ...   

I believe he only has a year left on his contract & is on about £4k a week less than Dawson.