Goalkeeping Situation - Dawson / Wildsmith

So, I've been very critical of Wildsmith and Dawson in the past, and more so recently, as its become apparent that these are our two most experienced keepers now Westwood has departed. Now, as they're both local lads it's very possible that immediate family and friends of there's post on here as well, so apologies if any offence caused by myself previously....or now, in this thread, as I appreciate that can be hurtful. But, these are two professional and handsomely paid players for there trade, so they should be able to take some criticism, right?

Rumoured that Darren Moore is looking for a new keeper, which for me (and a few others) is very reassuring, as these two are far from convincing and there development has stagnated, probably since Andy Rhodes left, but if we're looking to part with just one of them, then who should it be?

For me personally, i'd rather see them both moved on, but due to Dawsons overly inflated wages I think we're lumbered with him for the foreseeable! Wildsmiths contract is up sooner, so I'm guessing it could be him moved on to try and impress a new suitor before his contract ends.

I think Dawsons got more about him to be honest, and with the new keeper coach and potentially a new keeper coming in, I think that could be the motivation that he needs to build his confidence and push on, as things have got a bit stale, and they've not really pushed one another like we thought. However, some of his performances last season were hopeless (Rotherham and Brentford spring to mind), and at times looked like he wasn't even trying to save shots, so I hope he's not already a broken man.

What surprises me the most, and I know everybody is fully entitled to their opinions, but its people saying that they are both more than good enough for League 1! Are people seriously happy to see either of these two all next season as there number 1, it's baffling!  More baffling that we've not done anything to remedy the situation sooner as a club, yes, but still surprises me that people are willing to accept one of these two just shows how low we've sunk as a club.

Interesting to see what happens either way, and just wanted to see who people think is the better of the two, or maybe whether anybody knows enough to suggest Jackson or Render coming in to push the new keeper.

Cheers, and apologies for starting another thread about these two👍

• Like 1

I was going to say we need to do all we can to sign that peacock-Farrell and keep one of Dawson/wildsmith but what’s the point I think they’ve both stagnated and we need two new keeps for a fresh new look and more competition to get into that first 11 

• Like 2

Always felt that Dawson was marginally the better of the two. Is more vocal and has the physique to command his area better. Sadly though neither have progressed and seem prone to serious lapses of concentration. We do leak soft goals with either but whether it’s down to coaching is hard to judge. Not sure about the Andy Rhodes factor, perhaps it’s more to do with payment of wages and the general mood in the camp. 

Either way we do need a new Keeper if we’re serious about putting a team together capable of promotion any time soon. Too many times we’ve seen heads drop when we concede a single goal and with our lack of proven strikers to score a few  to get back on terms this must be a priority.

• Like 1

I think Dawson is slightly better, but I think he needs to go somewhere else, maybe in League 2, on loan for a season. Neither Dawson nor Wildsmith want to be spending next season sat on the bench, as they'll just continue to go backwards.

You only have to watch the goals scored against us by Celtic to prove neither are good enough .

They just dont have the basics ,; positioning , reaction ,athleticism , bravery , speed of thought etc ..

You cant develop what's not there in the first place and they are no longer kids .

• Like 8

In my opinion both Dawson and Wildsmith have had a ‘cushy’ job for a few years now. Never really regarded as serious contenders for Westwood’s number 1 shirt they have sat back and been content to wait until such a time when Westwood got injured etc.

To be fair I blame their lack of progress quite squarely at the feet of Rhodes and Weaver. Just what have they been drilling in to them for the last 2-3 years. They have been lacking all the attributes a good keeper should have, command of his area, the skill to know when to catch or punch the ball and the vision to pick out players who are in good attacking positions linked with the ability, positioning sense and agility to be in the right place at the right time. Sadly the good signs they showed as understudies just hasn’t improved to be considered now as our club’s no.1 shot-stopper.

Sorry but regretfully they are just not good enough.

• Like 1

I thought with our financial issues that Moore may end up sticking with Dawson & Wildsmith this season. So I’m delighted to hear we are chasing quite a highly rated GK in Bailey Peacock Farrell. 

Think had we stuck with Wildsmith & Dawson we’d have just continued interchanging the 2 every time one of them drops a clanger. 

Goalkeeper could be our most important piece of business this summer. 

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

Neither are good enough at the moment.  Both have gone backwards since Andy Rhodes left.  No idea if that causal or coincidental.

What worries me is that if our keepers have gone backwards since we lost Andy Rhodes, then obviously there has to be a huge question mark over that aspect of the coaching set up. Needs to be addressed first and foremost otherwise GK is going to be a major problem for us no matter who is between the sticks.