Goalkeeping Situation - Dawson / Wildsmith

They are just not very good. I’m not buying in to the claim that they have became like this as a result of Andy Rhodes leaving either; they can’t even do the basics well.

Once we eventually get rid, they will be lucky to remain in league football.

• Like 1

They’ve both been given opportunities, but neither has consistently impressed enough to make the position their own.

Both seem to have regressed and lost some confidence. Also, the defenders in front of them don’t seem to have confidence in them either - and that’s an important “must have” IMHO.

Yes, sadly, we do need a new No 1 

Guest Therealrealist
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Nobody has suggested that?

That’s why I asked tho...Dawson and pressman have nothin in common wotsoever..apart from both local lads

8 minutes ago, Think tank said:

Dawson caught out at his near post for the Barnsley goal. We really cannot afford to waste any more time with these two as our goalkeepers.

Problem is I don’t know if we can afford to bring another keeper in. We’re paying Dawson and Wildsmith 15k a week combined which will be more than any other league 1 club are paying their two keepers

Problem with having a poor keeper is the damage isn't just limited to conceding goals. The defence's heads will be the first to drop, quickly followed by the rest of the team. I mean, who's going to run around trying to score a goal when he knows his goalie will just let one through his legs anyway.😀

45 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Dawson just let a soft one in. Too busy counting his wages apparently

What do we do with him? 

Try agree a severance package and pay him off or leave him picking up nearly 10k a week until 2024?

His wages are going to be a drain on the club for another 3 years. He must be the highest paid keeper in league 1 by a distance

2 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

What do we do with him? 

Try agree a severance package and pay him off or leave him picking up nearly 10k a week until 2024?

His wages are going to be a drain on the club for another 3 years. He must be the highest paid keeper in league 1 by a distance

Move either Dawson or Wildsmith out to the person who will fund the highest wage %

One of them is fine for the bench and covering the odd game. As a #1 they are both way off

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Move either Dawson or Wildsmith out to the person who will fund the highest wage %

One of them is fine for the bench and covering the odd game. As a #1 they are both way off

Think we’d struggle to find any club willing to pay Dawson more than 1k a week 

Neither are up to it.

Dawson was done after the Rotherham debacle and Wildsmith has never really convinced.

Very few keepers are perfect, but these two have too many notable flaws to their game.

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, pat blondeau said:

Problem is I don’t know if we can afford to bring another keeper in. We’re paying Dawson and Wildsmith 15k a week combined which will be more than any other league 1 club are paying their two keepers

He should just take out another loan against the ground and pay them both up then sign a new keeper