Goalkeeping Situation - Dawson / Wildsmith

Dawson and Wildsmith have always been crap. 

Nothing to do with coaching, they’re just not good enough to play as a number one for us. 

The only reason they got as much rope as they did is the old academy graduates tag.

To anyone able to view impartially it was clear they were well short of the required standard in the Championship, especially Wildsmith

• Like 5

if i was a manager of a league 2 club looking for promotion would i sign either of these on loan from us? the answer would be no , 1 of them at best would be a back up keeper / neither have progressed if anything they have gone backwards. both in my book are 1 mistake from getting loads of flack from the stands , dawsons last game in front of crowds he suffered a load of abuse at brentford and wildsmith is possibly even worse.

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Always felt that Dawson was marginally the better of the two. Is more vocal and has the physique to command his area better. Sadly though neither have progressed and seem prone to serious lapses of concentration. We do leak soft goals with either but whether it’s down to coaching is hard to judge. Not sure about the Andy Rhodes factor, perhaps it’s more to do with payment of wages and the general mood in the camp. 

Either way we do need a new Keeper if we’re serious about putting a team together capable of promotion any time soon. Too many times we’ve seen heads drop when we concede a single goal and with our lack of proven strikers to score a few  to get back on terms this must be a priority.

payment of wages? is that there excuse for having butter fingers? no way

• Like 1

It’s a shame but they are both utter rubbish goalkeepers. I’m sure at one stage it looked like one or the other might make it but sometimes players just don’t improve. I’d honestly be surprised if either of them makes it back into the Championship with any other club. Stranger things have happened of course but I just don’t think they can be coached into shape. New keeper needed ASAP I’m afraid. 

Both Dawson and Wildsmith appear to very much be confidence type players, but each in a different way. Dawson appears at times to be very self confident in his abilities, which means the big holes in his game never actually get addressed by him. Wildsmith on the other hand just seems to drain of any and all ability he has as soon as he makes an error. Can literally watch his confidence desert him in a game after a goal goes in.

Both at times seem to lack the basics of goalkeeping. Positioning, kicking, communication, coming for crosses. These shouldnt be issues that still need addressing in any keeper at 25 and 26 years old. They technically coming into the begining of their peak years at this age and still the basics are missing or not being done.

Sadly they aint kids no more and the time for them being ones for the future etc, has been and gone for them both. New number 1 for me and we just keep whichever of these 2 is paid the least for a backup/bench warmer. 

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
4 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

Both have been given chances by various managers and neither have proved themselves

But now we have a new coach so lets hope he can craete a change of fortune. I can see Dawson being the back up keeper with Wildsmith going out on loan

And who is goin to be ringin us up everyday to take wildsmith on loan..a keeper we judge notgood enough for league 1...so many people on here say players need to go on loan..SOMEBODY HAS TO WANT OUR RUBBISH...stop sayin ‘send them out on loan’

3 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Dawson and Wildsmith have always been crap. 

Nothing to do with coaching, they’re just not good enough to play as a number one for us. 

The only reason they got as much rope as they did is the old academy graduates tag.

To anyone able to view impartially it was clear they were well short of the required standard in the Championship, especially Wildsmith

Even so, if they have both gone backwards since Rhodes left that tells you we have a major problem in the coaching department that needs to be addressed.

Not defending either of the keepers here, just saying that we have a deeper rooted problem in this area.

Gianluigi Donnarumma is an Italian professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for the Italy national team. Currently a free agent, he most recently played for Serie A club Milan.wonder if he'd fancy Fleetwood Town away on a cold December night 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Even so, if they have both gone backwards since Rhodes left that tells you we have a major problem in the coaching department that needs to be addressed.

Not defending either of the keepers here, just saying that we have a deeper rooted problem in this area.

☺️

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE

One is a chocolate fireguard

The other is a road cone

If we play the season with either of these pair in goal we’ll need to score 3/4 goals a game to stand a chance of winning if not relegation again 

Awful awful keepers 

13 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

If they're making mistakes, they're going to make exactly  the same mistakesin League 1.

The goals must be smaller in league 1, nothing else can make sense of the claim that these 2 goalies would somehow be ok.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

What worries me is that if our keepers have gone backwards since we lost Andy Rhodes, then obviously there has to be a huge question mark over that aspect of the coaching set up. Needs to be addressed first and foremost otherwise GK is going to be a major problem for us no matter who is between the sticks.

I would imagine that’s the reason we’ve just appointed a new goalkeeping coach.

• Thanks 1

I'd be more inclined to keep Dawson over Wildsmith - think his time is up here, Dawson has a short chance to improve under Basso now and try and seize his chance but I'd absolutely be looking to sign an established stopper at this level

I would have suggested Jordan Archer but he's signed for QPR or Boro is it?

There's a few others that probably have more experience in goal but I don't know what they are are like ..

Paolo Gazziniga

Marcus Bettinelli

Orjan Nyland

Kristoffer Nordfelt

Jamal Blackman

Ryan Allsop

Luke Daniels

Daniel Rogers

Jonathon Mitchell

12 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I'd be more inclined to keep Dawson over Wildsmith - think his time is up here, Dawson has a short chance to improve under Basso now and try and seize his chance but I'd absolutely be looking to sign an established stopper at this level

I would have suggested Jordan Archer but he's signed for QPR or Boro is it?

There's a few others that probably have more experience in goal but I don't know what they are are like ..

Paolo Gazziniga

Marcus Bettinelli

Orjan Nyland

Kristoffer Nordfelt

Jamal Blackman

Ryan Allsop

Luke Daniels

Daniel Rogers

Jonathon Mitchell

Daniels and Blackman would be good shouts to be fair.

Think Blackman made a few blunders last season and lost his place for Rotherham, but definitely a more imposing and dominant stature than our two.