Goalkeeping Situation - Dawson / Wildsmith

19 minutes ago, TbagMcgraw said:

Daniels and Blackman would be good shouts to be fair.

Think Blackman made a few blunders last season and lost his place for Rotherham, but definitely a more imposing and dominant stature than our two.

Second thoughts, Blackman will be used to Chelsea wages, so doubt we'll pay that for another goalkeeper.....its gonna be a loan whoever it is, surely.

I've defended them on here before. Thought the chance for either one of them to stake a first team claim, without people clamouring to know where Westwood is, and at a lower level of football, might resurrect either of their careers.

However I'm not above admitting when I'm wrong. The closer we get to the reality of playing real football the more worried I am about it.

The club seem to agree, given that goalkeeper seems to be a priority for new signings, despite the lack of resources and being one of the only positions in the team where we already have 2-3 players. That's a damning endorsement of Wildsmith and Dawson.

Edited by sheffield_dave
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Interesting thread...

Which players have improved over the last 2 years?

Two that certainly improved have both gone to Celtic (because they had improved)...the club hasn't improved, the hospitality hasn't improved, the match day experience hasn't improved, the shop hasn't improved, the communication hasn't improved, the playing staff haven't improved...none of them in my book have improved at all over the last 2 years.

So to single out the keepers, when all around them has been abject failure...might not be too helpful at this time.

You're right...they haven't improved over the past 2 years...maybe they will under Basso...so let's give them a chance. If Moore can bring in a keeper that isn't a complete a/hole like Westwood was then they could also benefit from that.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

You're right...they haven't improved over the past 2 years...maybe they will under Basso...so let's give them a chance. If Moore can bring in a keeper that isn't a complete a/hole like Westwood was then they could also benefit from that.

Please clarify

3 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

Interesting thread...

Which players have improved over the last 2 years?

Two that certainly improved have both gone to Celtic (because they had improved)...the club hasn't improved, the hospitality hasn't improved, the match day experience hasn't improved, the shop hasn't improved, the communication hasn't improved, the playing staff haven't improved...none of them in my book have improved at all over the last 2 years.

So to single out the keepers, when all around them has been abject failure...might not be too helpful at this time.

The reason Dawson and Wildsmith are ‘getting worse’ is very simple.

Theyre playing more games.

Its so amusing people can’t see this.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I've defended them on here before. Thought the chance for either one of them to stake a first team claim, without people clamouring to know where Westwood is, and at a lower level of football, might resurrect either of their careers.

However I'm not above admitting when I'm wrong. The closer we get to the reality of playing real football the more worried I am about it.

The club seem to agree, given that goalkeeper seems to be a priority for new signings, despite the lack of resources and being one of the only positions in the team where we already have 2-3 players. That's a damning endorsement of Wildsmith and Dawson.

Fair mate - I wish more people would just admit they’d called something wrong when they do - it’s humble and a sign of class

Nice one 👍

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Fair mate - I wish more people would just admit they’d called something wrong when they do - it’s humble and a sign of class

Nice one 👍

I’m wrong about most things, this is just one of the more obvious ones!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I’m wrong about most things

You know when you see really rich people with millions and millions and they just buy what they want and live life how they like and you look at em think ‘I wonder what it’s like to be like that?’

Thats me reading that line you posted  that is

Owlstalk Shop

Both these keepers have had more than enough chance to establish themselves as first team regulars and although both have shown odd moments of promise, in the main neither have seized the opportunity that has been presented to them.

What we need is an experienced keeper to come into the club and restore some confidence into the back line like Stephen Bywater did when we signed him.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Both these keepers have had more than enough chance to establish themselves as first team regulars and although both have shown odd moments of promise, in the main neither have seized the opportunity that has been presented to them.

What we need is an experienced keeper to come into the club and restore some confidence into the back line like Stephen Bywater did when we signed him.

Yes!!

Bywater type is exactly what we need 

A huge character who can come in and walk through the doors and take control 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

On 13/07/2021 at 23:35, @owlstalk said:

Yes!!

Bywater type is exactly what we need 

A huge character who can come in and walk through the doors and take control 

He was good in terms of being vocal maybe, leading the line, bit of a character in the dressing room, but he was a poor keeper

Guest Therealrealist
30 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Yeah probably in most aspects I guess

Shame really, I thought Dawson would kick on and become a really good keeper for us like Kevin Pressman

Why? Just cus hes from the academy?

1 hour ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Both Liabilities. Just not good enough, nor consistent enough. Their awareness of their box and what's around them is utterly abysmal. 

These two fell on their feet by being with us.. Because any other club, and they would have been binned a season ago at least. 

I think. they both got lucky by having a few good games and being local the club felt they needed good PR so offered them decent contracts.
I really wanted them to do well especially being local lads as I feel the club has lost a lot of that connection over last few years.
But have to admit both of them are just not up to standard.

• Like 1

If we end up starting with one of those two then they had better hit the ground running because when the first inevitable gaff comes along they will be hammered… they know that. I expect they are hoping a new number one is signed too !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scilly owl said:

If we end up starting with one of those two then they had better hit the ground running because when the first inevitable gaff comes along they will be hammered… they know that. I expect they are hoping a new number one is signed too !!

I'd happily sit on the bench for £9k a week for the next few years as Dawson is reported to be earning.