ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs 🇮🇹 ITALY - EUROS FINAL - Official Matchday Thread ⚽️

7 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

Exactly right. They had no feel for this game or atmosphere. They were completely cold.

As for Saka being kicker 5. He's barely played international football. Not mature enough to handle this pressure

That’s the most frustrating thing. I said to my gf when he brought MR and JS on, “we’ll lose the shoot out now.”  Penalties aren’t about who has the most skill. It’s luck and psychology. 

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

Italy much the better team, but those 3 penalties especially Rashfords where pathetic. Also some bad management from Southgate, should have changed things much sooner, and having the 2 subs come on so late and more or less the first thing they have to do is take a penalty, terrible. 

Thought the same about bringing them on so late.  No time to settle the nerves.

Said it all along that Italy  would be the team to beat they were just on higher level and whatever Southgate would have done the outcome would have been the same.

• Like 1

Obviously gutted but the best the did win. 

I can't stand the posters berating Southgate and his choices. Think they need to look at their attitudes to life the miserable ********. He just got us the furthest we've been in 55 years and working with a very young side.

Bring on the world cup, with a matured English squad.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
7 minutes ago, poite said:

And the Irish. They will be loving it too. 

Until August when they all start pretending they are from Manchester and Liverpool again 

True. But not all of us. I’m in a pub Belfast, and put some of the bitter c**ts right 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇬🇧

Italy deserved to win. Sadly they played too well and and were all over the pitch in the right place every time.  

I disagreed with the England substitutions at the time but not going to criticise Southgate as he deserves respect in my opinion.  

Bring on the owls v Alfreton 

• Like 3

Just now, sexpistol said:

For people saying Southgate was wrong to put Rashford and Sancho on for pens so late? A lot of captain Hindsight’s on here. Many teams do this.

The crime was to leave changes so late when we clearly needed impetus on the pitch. 

Win the game before penalties.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Raminpeace said:

Fair result in the end.

england too cautious and lost the initiative.

Failed to use the creative subs and paid the price.

9 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

This.... Southgate was outplayed by Mancini I'm afraid.

Agree with both comments.  England ultimately second best despite some good individual performances.  Southgate is great in front of the media but too negative for my liking and I question his tactical nous.  I wouldn’t trust him to get the most out of the talented players at his disposal.

• Like 3

Guest OwlPastie
5 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Whilst you are entitled to your opinion, to suggest Southgate should go is either being a contrarian or your post screams of look at me look at me.

In two major events, we have reached a SF and a final which we lost on penalties. He is our second most successful manager ever.

Finals are won by being brave, as much as being talented. Southgate isn't brave.