ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs 🇮🇹 ITALY - EUROS FINAL - Official Matchday Thread ⚽️

5 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

Got to love Owlstalk.

England reach the final for the first time ever, with a squad who's average age was 24 and only lose on pens, to a very good Italy side who not only have been the best team in the competition, they are also unbeaten in 34. And people on here still complain.

I have watched England fail for quite a long time, so I for one am proud of this England team. Even though we wasn't great and we might not agree with the decision or penalties. But ask yourself could you step up against Donarumma and be confident of scoring, I know I wouldn't be.

Oh well, back to moaning about Wednesday tomorrow.

Excellent post.

• Like 1

Just now, Rev Owl said:

I agree. Sadly. It just keeps happening to us.

Qatar of all places to have a World Cup even in Nov/Dec could still be a climatically challenging Tournement for the European Sides.Expect a South American Side to win there.England well do very well to make the SF Stage.

• Like 1

Well. That’s that. Italy were the side of the tournament to be honest. They beat Belgium, Spain and us. I am proud we held them to a draw. 
As to the pens. If you keeper saves two and you don’t win the shootout then fairs fair. The opposition deserve to win. 
Congrats to Italy because they deserved to win. Well done to England on getting us this far and giving me a bit of joy for a few weeks. 
Better things are to come!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Buck Rogers said:

Hate to say it but if Wilder was manager, we wouldn't have let off the gas when we had them on the ropes and wrong would've gone for the kill.

Would've won it at half time if he was im charge.

We wouldn’t have got to the final mate 

• Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

Think Southgate has got his tactics mainly spot on throughout the tournament...italy were simply better on the ball, skill, tactics , nous...They have been like it for most of the time ive watched football.....Hard luck england....maybe Southgate should have gone for it earlier...buts hindsight....He was a couple of kicks off in the end..We have had far worse

• Like 2

Agree southgate negative/anti-football man but he sounds great, 1 semi and a final, yet still bottled it in the end with negative tactics imo

It can get you so far if lucky ( he's luckiest manager i've ever known getting that job with those players after getting sacked for failing at boro) but when his luck runs out he looks very average vs good sides/managers.

No winner in prem league (pep, klopp etc) tries to hold on most of match and bring best players on too late. (Similar vs croatia 2018 too)

541 at home holding on for most the match, then saka on not grealish and only after reacting to italy goal, not by being proactive.

The 532 formation vs germany was a 50/50 game until grealish on, denmark we were better when saka off for grealish yet saka on not grealish tonight, hes just not positive enough, dont think grealish started 1 game and him, shaw, sterling best players imo.

Will stick with him and maybe get quarters/semis next world cup due to wealth of talent, but he's not got that flair/positivity/ability to be a WINNER imo, steady, likeable etc fair enough

• Thanks 2

Southgate got it bang on to play Trippier and got flak for it

Two minutes in Trippier with the assist 

And his presence on the pitch nullified an amazing Italian side for much of the time he was on

Southgate called that right tactically 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The stuff on the players who missed social media is a whole new level of horrific 

Never seen it as bad

I’m not on Twitter but with the amount of pondlife that frequent it, sadly I’m not surprised.

Just now, Ash77 said:

Agree southgate negative/anti-football man but he sounds great, 1 semi and a final, yet still bottled it in the end with negative tactics imo

It can get you so far if lucky ( he's luckiest manager i've ever known getting that job with those players after getting sacked for failing at boro) but when his luck runs out he looks very average vs good sides/managers.

No winner in prem league (pep, klopp etc) tries to hold on most of match and bring best players on too late. (Similar vs croatia 2018 too)

541 at home holding on for most the match, then saka on not grealish and only after reacting to italy goal, not by being proactive.

The 532 formation vs germany was a 50/50 game until grealish on, denmark we were better when saka off for grealish yet saka on not grealish tonight, hes just not positive enough, dont think grealish started 1 game and him, shaw, sterling best players imo.

Will stick with him and maybe get quarters/semis next world cup due to wealth of talent, but he's not got that flair/positivity/ability to be a WINNER imo, steady, likeable etc fair enough

Get to bed and sleep it off 

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Grealish should have come on earlier...wasted second half....Italy deserved it'......Simply far more professional....I honestly thought Sterling had a shocker

TBF our starting line up just handed the momentum to Italy

We couldn't get any sort of possession - it was horrendous

Sterling needed support and there was none - and that was our choice

He was continually crowded out because the Italians had nothing else to worry about

It was a sh*t starting line up and despite our early goal it was our undoing

Southgate worried so much about them he forgot that we actually have some decent players that could harm them so decided to cut our nose off to spite the face

I'm gutted and fuming

Good luck if anybody thinks England getting to latter stages of tournaments is the norm

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

Got to love Owlstalk.

England reach the final for the first time ever, with a squad who's average age was 24 and only lose on pens, to a very good Italy side who not only have been the best team in the competition, they are also unbeaten in 34. And people on here still complain.

I have watched England fail for quite a long time, so I for one am proud of this England team. Even though we wasn't great and we might not agree with the decision or penalties. But ask yourself could you step up against Donarumma and be confident of scoring, I know I wouldn't be.

Oh well, back to moaning about Wednesday tomorrow.

im so glad theres chipper smily people on owlstalk that can turn off horrible dissapoint like a light switch.  Just what i wanted to read. Works both ways.

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Think Southgate has got his tactics mainly spot on throughout the tournament...italy were simply better on the ball, skill, tactics , nous...They have been like it for most of the time ive watched football.....Hard luck england....maybe Southgate should have gone for it earlier...buts hindsight....He was a couple of kicks off in the end..We have had far worse

At least we've next year's World Cup to look forward to, and that we will have another good crack at winning another major trophy Fingers crossed.

• Love 1