ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs 🇮🇹 ITALY - EUROS FINAL - Official Matchday Thread ⚽️

Well, that was better than I expected prior to the tournament. Yes, we're all upset we didn't win but I personally thought the team was a refreshing change as there appears to be nobody with their head stuck up their backsides like we've had previously.

Bit gutted for the lad who missed the last pen, why was he allowed to take it. To be honest, if i'd have been Jordan Pickford i'd have been knocking him out of the way.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Semi final then a final.

It's progression and I'm sure they'll all learn from it... especially Southgate.

Listening to his post match interview, I'm not sure Southgate will be leading us in the World Cup. He also took responsibility for the penalties, saying he chose the takers and the order they took them.

6 minutes ago, 83owl said:

I think amazing is a bit of an exaggeration. They are a decent team and organised as all Italian teams are but they certainly aren’t amazing.

Was a relatively weak tournament overall I feel. Germany, Spain nowhere near as strong as they have been in the past, Belgium are talented but seem to lack the game management when it matters and suffered from injury's.

Doubt we will get another chance as good as that in what was essentially a home tournament for us.

I find our achievement being written off and dismissed as ‘a weak tournament’ bad form to be honest 

Theres school kids gone to bed tonight with their whole worlds changed and with them inspired to succeed and with a whole team of inspirational figures to look up to 

And none of em have gone to bed slating Southgate OR the players that missed penalties 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, scram said:

TBF our starting line up just handed the momentum to Italy

We couldn't get any sort of possession - it was horrendous

Sterling needed support and there was none - and that was our choice

He was continually crowded out because the Italians had nothing else to worry about

It was a sh*t starting line up and despite our early goal it was our undoing

Southgate worried so much about them he forgot that we actually have some decent players that could harm them so decided to cut our nose off to spite the face

I'm gutted and fuming

Good luck if anybody thinks England getting to latter stages of tournaments is the norm

How would you have set up. I would've left Saka out and used Rashford but I thought it was smart to have Trippier in working down the right with Walker. They play well together. Plus Trippier has a good set piece on him.

Shaw was excellent and Stones Maguire have a good partnership

Mounts a terrier and hassles opponents. Thought his 1st half was good. Bit he tailed off as he tends to do. Sancho can come in

TBH not a big fan of Grealish as a starter. He needs more international exposure to find the space he needs 

• Like 1

Just now, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Listening to his post match interview, I'm not sure Southgate will be leading us in the World Cup. He also took responsibility for the penalties, saying he chose the takers and the order they took them.

His whole interview sounded like the FA had someone else lined up ready to take over and that he’d just been standing in

Knowing our luck all these Southgate haters posting their hate will get their way and he will get relieved of his duties, Jay Bothroyd will be unveiled as his replacement and he will call up Wayne Rooney and Peter Crouch back to the side up front 

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

What was said?

I was in the garden and a bit of hay fever caught up with me.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

He's taking the pressure off the players. And nowt wrong with that given what happens on social media

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, scram said:

He won't move forward

hasn't the gift of the WC semi against a nothing Croatia taught anybody anything?

Same old same old

So disappointing he reverted to this failed crap

It’s as different as it could have been compared to what we had before Southgate 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I find out achievement being written off and dismissed as ‘a weak tournament’ bad form to be honest 

You think this German team is as strong as recent ones?

You think this winning Italian team would beat the prime Spanish team with iniesta, xavi etc?

I certainly don’t.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, edmontonowl said:

How would you have set up. I would've left Saka out and used Rashford but I thought it was smart to have Trippier in working down the right with Walker. They play well together. Plus Trippier has a good set piece on him.

Shaw was excellent and Stones Maguire have a good partnership

Mounts a terrier and hassles opponents. Thought his 1st half was good. Bit he tailed off as he tends to do. Sancho can come in

TBH not a big fan of Grealish as a starter. He needs more international exposure to find the space he needs 

I said before the game

The front 4 needed a ball carrier - in trying to nullify Italy Southgate actually stifled us

Just shades of the last WC but without ha1ving to play anybody of note

i'm so f\8cking angry over this shyte

21 minutes ago, Buck Rogers said:

Hate to say it but if Wilder was manager, we wouldn't have let off the gas when we had them on the ropes and wrong would've gone for the kill.

Would've won it at half time if he was im charge.

Wilder?.....Chris wilder?........last seasons Sheffield United chris wilder? Lol

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

You think this German team is as strong as recent ones?

You think this winning Italian team would beat the prime Spanish team with iniesta, xavi etc?

I certainly don’t.

We will just get our team and hop back in time in the Tardis to play them then shall we ffs

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, scram said:

I said before the game

The front 4 needed a ball carrier - in trying to nullify Italy Southgate actually stifled us

Just shades of the last WC but without ha1ving to play anybody of note

i'm so f\8cking angry over this shyte

We nearly won the Euros

We only didn’t because of a penalty save 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

I do agree with that.

I'm just disappointed that we didn't get over the line.

I just want to be the one jumping up and down and cheering when we lift the trophy. 

As an Owl and an England fan it's been a long time.

Never mind.  

There's always the Papa John's.

• Haha 2