ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs 🇮🇹 ITALY - EUROS FINAL - Official Matchday Thread ⚽️

1 minute ago, scram said:

TBF our starting line up just handed the momentum to Italy

We couldn't get any sort of possession - it was horrendous

Sterling needed support and there was none - and that was our choice

He was continually crowded out because the Italians had nothing else to worry about

It was a sh*t starting line up and despite our early goal it was our undoing

Southgate worried so much about them he forgot that we actually have some decent players that could harm them so decided to cut our nose off to spite the face

I'm gutted and fuming

Good luck if anybody thinks England getting to latter stages of tournaments is the norm

A SF and a final in the last two suggests it might be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The stuff on the players who missed social media is a whole new level of horrific 

Never seen it as bad

I don't do social media (apart from here) so won't see it and the players shouldn't if they have any sense, just ignore it and the morons.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

I'm not sure we'll agree but I'm not sure I agree with you. We have played against distinctly average sides (including Germany who are a shadow of their former self) and mostly labored against them. 

With the array of attacking talent on hand I'm just not sure 4 5 1 is the way to go.

We've just drawn in the euro final mate,OK the penalties went wrong but cut him some slack. Im proud of em

• Like 2
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, 0742 said:

Southgate is a loser. Always has been.

We got to the final despite him, not because of him. The guy should show some balls for once and resign first thing in the morning.

The fact Sancho got so few minutes during this tournament tells you all you need to know.

Reyt lol

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Southgate got it bang on to play Trippier and got flak for it

Two minutes in Trippier with the assist 

And his presence on the pitch nullified an amazing Italian side for much of the time he was on

Southgate called that right tactically 

I think amazing is a bit of an exaggeration. They are a decent team and organised as all Italian teams are but they certainly aren’t amazing.

Was a relatively weak tournament overall I feel. Germany, Spain nowhere near as strong as they have been in the past, Belgium are talented but seem to lack the game management when it matters and suffered from injury's.

Doubt we will get another chance as good as that in what was essentially a home tournament for us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

A SF and a final in the last two suggests it might be.

Fill yer boots

Heard if all before

We could just as easily play a decent team in the groups/knock outs

We've had 2 extremely fortuitous runs 0- i can accept us losing on pens to Italy in  the final - but losing to mediocre \\\\\croatia in a WC Semi?

No way

• Like 3

What a gutting shame. Great effort lads… but for me Southgate could

have been more proactive in the second half when we started to run out of gas. They made changes and it worked - we just didn’t react - Grealish hasn’t put a foot wrong and Southgate just doesn’t trust him - but it needed 3 or 4 changes - should never let it get to Pens. Great try lads done us proud.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Nah.

England are actually competitive at the top level and not footballing dinosaurs any more.

That's a massive improvement on where they have been for my entire life.

I do agree with that.

I'm just disappointed that we didn't get over the line.

I just want to be the one jumping up and down and cheering when we lift the trophy. 

As an Owl and an England fan it's been a long time.

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

I hope so.

He's made mistakes tonight but he seems open minded enough to analyse them and move forward.

Bitterly disappointed but it's been a cracking tournament.

Agreed, Given what the people of Italy have had to go through in the last 18 months, this has to be a massive boost to them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vulva said:

They’ve been great all tournament and didn’t deserve that. Sat back a bit, and invited Italy on, but they are a very good side. Just hugely disappointing as all stars had aligned, and I honestly don’t think we will ever get a better chance to win something than that. The World Cup will be a farce, and suit the countries from warmer climates, and the next Euros will see a far stronger Germany, France et al.  

And as with some comments already on here about penalty takers, Southgate etc, sit back and watch the absolute worst of football fans unleashed on social media over the next few days. We are about to witness a whole new level of absolute weapon. Italy hadn’t lifted the trophy before some had started. Idiots.  

Great post