ENGLAND vs SCOTLAND - Official Matchday Thread

6 hours ago, new zealand owl said:

Not many positives there.

I actually don't mind Southgate but his blind faith in sterling is worrying. I just don't rate him at all. Impact player at best. I was going to comment on his performance against Croatia which wasn't great in my view but it seemed the rest of the world didn't agree.

The fear now is an over reliance on the return of Henderson and maguire just for their experience and leadership when they are miles off being match fit 

Pickford and stones were good and thats about it.

Yes Southgate is a very good man. I’d vote for him to be the next PM.  But a decent football manager? There’s not much evidence in that yet.

Listening to Sven yesterday he was saying how the England job is the number 1 managerial job in world football.  And Gareth Southgate has it, doesn’t quite make sense does it.  A bit like why is Solksjaer manager of Man Utd.  Some strange times we live in where non confrontational people have top jobs maybe due to their personality rather than their actual ability to do their job.    

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Guest whowantstoberich

That was Scotland’s final, that was all there ambition for the whole tournament to draw against England. So what? We still go through it’s not worth expending all out energy on them

It’s always been the same with England. We always think we are better than what we are. Yes, we should be playing better but even at our best, there are better teams in this tournament and that is the facts.

There are too many players who are woefully out of form too - Kane, sterling and Rachford for starters. 

• Like 1

Having slept on it the biggest difference from the performance on Sunday and last nights was Philips. He didn’t get around the pitch as much and subsequently influence the game in the same way but I suppose you have to credit Scotland for squeezing the space more than Croatia did.

The full-backs were changed in order to have more of an impact going forward as Southgate expected us to have more of the ball. Neither Shaw and particularly James did much going forward. Totally bemused as to why Chilwell finds himself out of favour at the moment as I think he’s the best full-back we’ve got particularly going forward.

Rice will get pilloried by the experts but why? He does the job he’s asked to do which is screen the back four and pass it nice and simple and he does it very well. His performance last night was no different from his performance on Sunday’s.

Stones and Mings are holding their own as a defensive pairing. I wouldn’t bring Maguire back for Tuesday as I feel any changes need to be made further up the pitch.

I’d drop Foden and play Grealish in the front three. I’d start Rashford but I’m not sure whether I’d drop Sterling or Kane. I’m not sure if DCL is good enough yet but in time he might prove to be?

Either way I think a draw on Tuesday is more likely than a win given how we are currently being set-up to play?

Agree about 2 dm's, especially average ones that can't pass forward.

Defence fine, rest needs ripping up, but hes not brave or adventurous enough and happy just for a clean sheet or draw, still amazed he got job on back of no achievement bar taking boro down with a win ratio under 30%

Foden henderson mount

Sancho kane grealish

He has that available and serves up 3 shots on target in 3 games vs inferior teams, so sad.

Why are Chilwell and Sancho getting in the team?

I think Shaw and James were disappointing last night, rarely went forward and kept going backwards. 

I like Sterling but how did Southgate think taking Foden off was a better option? Sterling seems untouchable to bring off currently. 

Kane looks knackered.

57 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Yes Southgate is a very good man. I’d vote for him to be the next PM.  But a decent football manager? There’s not much evidence in that yet.

A thoroughly decent and intelligent man. But a bang average manager who just happens to have access to some great players. If he was a Premier League manager he'd struggle to qualify for European competition with one of the top teams, and he would finish two thirds of the way down the table with any other team.

I'm not sure that England were any worse than normal yesterday; it's just that playing Scotland the expectations were high and they failed to live up to them. Against most teams of that quality we would probably have contrived a modest win, but the Scots were hugely motivated and clearly up for it.

There are some valid observations about how, in the great scheme of things, it was a pragmatic game plan; one point closer to qualification, no injuries, job done etc, etc. My problem is that England, under Gareth Southgate, are simply so cautious and pedestrian. Not just yesterday, but always. You can get away with that against a mid-ranking European national team where with significantly better possesion we'll eventually find a way through, but against a decent team I think we're going to be shown up. And I just don't think Gareth Southgate has the tactical nous to change things around when Plan A isn't working.

Another tournament where we've relied on the big names and not picked the players in form. Kane, Sterling are out of form and even though he got the winner, Sterling hasnt offered much else. 

Still think we should have found a place for Lingard who was probably the most in form English player in the second half of the season in the Premier League

Would have liked to have seen Bellingham and Sancho in the 2nd half too. 

Guest Grandad
20 minutes ago, Jim said:

Having slept on it the biggest difference from the performance on Sunday and last nights was Philips. He didn’t get around the pitch as much and subsequently influence the game in the same way but I suppose you have to credit Scotland for squeezing the space more than Croatia did.

The full-backs were changed in order to have more of an impact going forward as Southgate expected us to have more of the ball. Neither Shaw and particularly James did much going forward. Totally bemused as to why Chilwell finds himself out of favour at the moment as I think he’s the best full-back we’ve got particularly going forward.

Rice will get pilloried by the experts but why? He does the job he’s asked to do which is screen the back four and pass it nice and simple and he does it very well. His performance last night was no different from his performance on Sunday’s.

Stones and Mings are holding their own as a defensive pairing. I wouldn’t bring Maguire back for Tuesday as I feel any changes need to be made further up the pitch.

I’d drop Foden and play Grealish in the front three. I’d start Rashford but I’m not sure whether I’d drop Sterling or Kane. I’m not sure if DCL is good enough yet but in time he might prove to be?

Either way I think a draw on Tuesday is more likely than a win given how we are currently being set-up to play?

Genuinely can't understand anybody that would play Sterling rather than Foden

Starting with 2 defensive midfielders was ridiculous. 

James was completely anonymous.

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Genuinely can't understand anybody that would play Sterling rather than Foden

Starting with 2 defensive midfielders was ridiculous. 

James was completely anonymous.

I don’t think Foden’s done much so far. I thought this tournament might have come too soon for him and I’ve seen nothing to change my mind. In fact Bellingham at 17 has shown more at this level so far than Foden has.

That said is Southgate playing Foden in the right position, I’m not sure? But he will prove to be a great player for England as several of this squad will be but it’ll be under a different manager IMO. Maybe Lampard or Gerrard?

• Like 1

I am in a minority of one here, but I enjoyed the game.

End to end football, no quarter asked or given, shot's at both end's and save's, excitement for 90 min's, both team's could have won.

My type of football

Not that boring, slow, to me to you crap I have had the misfortune to witness so far.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

I wasn’t surprised at all by how the game went. Scotland played with intensity I expected them to and England looked a bit poor but weren’t that much worse than normal. Often the performance is a bit slow and tired looking but a moment of brilliance or even fortune gets England over the line. Having your captain and main goal threat looking so poor is a big problem, particularly when your manager seems reluctant to sub him. 
For me I’d have liked Kane, Sterling and Mount off on the hour mark and Rashford, Calvert Lewin and Graylish on. Might not have made a  difference but would have given Scotland something to think about!

Final comment- corners. WTF was that about!? Failed to clear the first man 3 or 4 times! Like watching Izzy Brown take them!!

9 minutes ago, Jim said:

but it’ll be under a different manager IMO. Maybe Lampard or Gerrard?

I think Gerrard has the most potential to break through as a top flight and eventually England manager. I like Lampard but he tried to step up a level way before he was ready which has ended up setting him back. 

1 hour ago, whowantstoberich said:

England were the better side on reflection even tho not up to there best. 

However if that was must win I’m 100% certain we would have won that, it was more important to stay in control and ensure we got at least the point than it was too go all out attack.

Really?  I thought Scotland were the better side - if they didn’t obsess so much about stopping England winning they would be disappointed not to win themselves last night, rather than celebrating a draw.  Can see England losing to Czech Republic and certainly won’t get beyond last 16.

Disappointing performance after all the hype. Certainly wont be talked about in 25 years time like the Gazza game

4 points should see us qualify, cant finish lower than 3rd now so job done

With some fresh faces and a much improved display v Czechs, we’ll be back on the positive vibe, at least for another week ! 

The moment this England team come up against a top side they'll be out of the tournament. Absolutely convinced of that. 

Appreciate that teams who win these tournaments don't often start like a house on fire (look at Portugal in 2016), but you would like to see some encouraging signs in these early stages. 

All I see is a team playing nothing football, with little to no inclination as to how to manufacture quality chances against pretty mediocre opposition. Let's also be right that the defence is not brilliant and on another night Scotland  - with their bang average strike force - may well have scored. 

• Like 2