ENGLAND vs SCOTLAND - Official Matchday Thread

2 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Can’t be bothered with England either way ….Would rather Wednesday got promoted.. than England winning the Euros/ World Cup 

Think you might be waiting a while on both of those. 

Just now, Asio otus said:

England were very poor, but Scotland celebrating when i cant see them getting more than a draw against Croatia therefore going home. England won't be far behind either.

England v Scotland is a bit like Wednesday v Rotherham...though we tend to do quite bad against Rotherham so. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The moment this England team come up against a top side they'll be out of the tournament. Absolutely convinced of that. 

Appreciate that teams who win these tournaments don't often start like a house on fire (look at Portugal in 2016), but you would like to see some encouraging signs in these early stages. 

All I see is a team playing nothing football, with little to no inclination as to how to manufacture quality chances against pretty mediocre opposition. Let's also be right that the defence is not brilliant and on another night Scotland  - with their bang average strike force - may well have scored. 

This ^^^^^^^

We were probably saved by the fact that Scotland carried limited goal threat. With clinical finishing, they would have scored a couple. And that's my concern going forward. England get away with their plodding style against mediocre opposition, but they won't against a decent national side. I genuinely fear we won't get beyond the last 16.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The moment this England team come up against a top side they'll be out of the tournament. Absolutely convinced of that. 

Appreciate that teams who win these tournaments don't often start like a house on fire (look at Portugal in 2016), but you would like to see some encouraging signs in these early stages. 

All I see is a team playing nothing football, with little to no inclination as to how to manufacture quality chances against pretty mediocre opposition. Let's also be right that the defence is not brilliant and on another night Scotland  - with their bang average strike force - may well have scored. 

Tend to agree. Southgate tends to set the team up to stop conceding goals, and generally they do. The constant back passing between the deep midfield pair and back three is mind-numbing. I can't recollect a forward pass made by James.

Beating cannon fodder in friendlies and qualifying 2/3-0 throughout the season is meaningless - it's beating the top teams in finals that counts. We don't do this and for all the resources in the EPL, England come up short time after time.

Seems the excuse is that Kane is tired after a long season. 

3 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

This ^^^^^^^

We were probably saved by the fact that Scotland carried limited goal threat. With clinical finishing, they would have scored a couple. And that's my concern going forward. England get away with their plodding style against mediocre opposition, but they won't against a decent national side. I genuinely fear we won't get beyond the last 16.

Exactly. 

Just imagine the likes of Mbappe, Ronaldo etc., against this lot. 

They'll get torn a new one. 

Just now, Animis said:

Tend to agree. Southgate tends to set the team up to stop conceding goals, and generally they do. The constant back passing between the deep midfield pair and back three is mind-numbing. I can't recollect a forward pass made by James.

Beating cannon fodder in friendlies and qualifying 2/3-0 throughout the season is meaningless - it's beating the top teams in finals that counts. We don't do this and for all the resources in the EPL, England come up short time after time.

Yep. 

Tbf to Kane, we aren't exactly creating much in the way of chances for him. He does look leggy though to me and it's pretty apparent that the numerous ankle injuries have meant he's lost a yard of pace (not that he was exactly explosive anyway). 

I don't normally watch England games but I watched last night, it was like watching a first half in our second season under Carlos. Loads of passing it along the back line, then the ball to a winger who is already covered because the ball took so long to reach him, then back to a defender to go across the back line and to the other winger, again and again.

No midfielder finding space between the lines to open things up, they were all static, nobody making an angle.

Pedestrian and predictable. Even so I think England had the better chances, one header hit the post and a penalty turned down that should have been given. A draw was probably fair but England shaded it. With the players we had on the pitch it should have been 3 nil at least so a moral victory for Scotland, they over achieved, England underachieved.

• Thanks 1

Guest whowantstoberich

I’d rest sterling now a couple matches, he’s always better when he’s been dropped and comes back with a point to prove 

Guest Hornsby

So called top English players when not surrounded by club colleagues from abroad are crap.

Mings mint though 

Guest LondonOwl313
56 minutes ago, Animis said:

If we had Guardiola, Klopp or Tuchel as manager we’d have enough to go close to winning it I think. But we have a bloke who got Middlesbrough relegated and has no other experience, he’s only in post because he’s politically correct and says the ‘right’ things to the media 

The performance last night didn’t surprise me in the slightest. It’s what England do by and large bar the odd fleeting good performance. We are too slow, cautions, ponderous with no cutting edge. 

We have some good players but coming into this tournament it didn’t feel right. We have a number of players coming back from injuries, we also a number who are woefully out of form and we don’t know our best team or system. 

Gareth has to make wholesale changes for the Czech game. Rest a number but also give players an opportunity to stake a claim by putting in a 9/10 performance and bring some confidence into this side. 

But like a number of earlier posters have said, I think once we come up against a good side, we are out. 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Yep. 

Tbf to Kane, we aren't exactly creating much in the way of chances for him. He does look leggy though to me and it's pretty apparent that the numerous ankle injuries have meant he's lost a yard of pace (not that he was exactly explosive anyway). 

He looks very leggy.  But he's still a world class finisher so get him to do his work in the box. 

If he drops deep then its vital a runner gets beyond him into the space

It happened once when Foden got through but was offside (and he miscontrolled the ball)

Sterling looks like he's wearing high heels but on the wrong feet - his control yesterday was atrocious for a top player. 

Southgate needs to be brave - as Robson was in Italia 90 - and just admit it's a sh*tshow and change things

If a few big egos get bruised then tough but that team is not set up to win the big prizes

I said it last night and although there was a lot of emotion and fury I stand by the fact I could fully see the Scotland gameplan. 

I had no idea what England were trying to achieve

It was awful

If swap Southgate for Clarke in a heartbeat

Completely schooled Southgate last night

Edited by scram
  • Like 2

Those two friendlies we had seem like a complete waste now.

He pretty much used them as an excuse to play backup players and people who weren't even going to the tournament.

Surely, it would have made sense to play his first team in one of the halves? All a bit bizarre.

Edited by SiJ

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Yep. 

Kane is the same every finals - looks knackered before he even starts and ambles around like he is wading through treacle.

Both him and Sterling should be out - the latter just continues to flatter to deceive, very much like the side itself.  

Southgate isn’t the man to get the best out of this side either which isn’t helping - such a limited manager and it shows in our play.

Scotland were ok but same old issues, running out of ideas and quality final third - think Croatia will shepherd them out.

A decent side will put us to bed - Italy to win the whole thing.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Kane is the same every finals - looks knackered before he even starts and ambles around like he is wading through treacle.

Both him and Sterling should be out - the latter just continues to flatter to deceive, very much like the side itself.  

Southgate isn’t the man to get the best out of this side either which isn’t helping - such a limited manager and it shows in our play.

Scotland were ok but same old issues, running out of ideas and quality final third - think Croatia will shepherd them out.

A decent side will put us to bed - Italy to win the whole thing.

Kane got the golden boot at the last finals so he can’t have been that bad.

He’s off form but he’s our best player by a mile, the only world class player we have so would expect him to play in every big game. Probably would rest him vs the Czechs

Scotland played well and were up for it.

England did the Sheffield Wednesday thing where they couldn't be bothered to give it their all because just showing up ought to be good enough. The same attitude that quite rightly sent us down.

Plus Southgate on the tactics metre hardly registered a 1 out of 10.

35 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Kane got the golden boot at the last finals so he can’t have been that bad.

He’s off form but he’s our best player by a mile, the only world class player we have so would expect him to play in every big game. Probably would rest him vs the Czechs

He scored a few pens in the WC if I recall but looked shattered in the knockouts.

he needs resting, fine but if picked needs to show a lot more than he did last night.