ENGLAND vs SCOTLAND - Official Matchday Thread

17 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Southgates little pets Mount and Sterling seem undroppable......foden wasnt brilliant but was much better than those two,,,,,and got the hook ....AGAIN

It appears that way. 

Surprised Sancho hasn't been given a run in the team.  He's had a phenomenal season at Dortmund.   

2 creative talents in Sancho and Grealish, both sat on the bench.  

• Like 1

It’s international tournament football, we should never be surprised that it leaves you feeling deflated……..

I felt our mentality was poor vs the fired up Scots. To them we will always be the auld enemy, our boys didn’t seem to understand that.

Tactically I didn’t like how we set up especially first half when KP was going walkabout and leaving a gaping hole behind him that DR didn’t look comfortable covering. Also KP so many poor touch’s.

HK, you could see he was a mile off the pace after 5 mins,. Obvs you aren’t taking him off in the first half but he needed to be off a HT. Likewise with RS.

We made no real effort to get in behind their defence, our play was sluggish and lacklustre. On the rare occasion we did have players looking to break the lines the pass delivery wasn’t quick enough.

I have no real expectation of the national team but it’s still frustrating seeing players under perform for their country.

5 minutes ago, Morepork said:

It’s international tournament football, we should never be surprised that it leaves you feeling deflated……..

I felt our mentality was poor vs the fired up Scots. To them we will always be the auld enemy, our boys didn’t seem to understand that.

Tactically I didn’t like how we set up especially first half when KP was going walkabout and leaving a gaping hole behind him that DR didn’t look comfortable covering. Also KP so many poor touch’s.

HK, you could see he was a mile off the pace after 5 mins,. Obvs you aren’t taking him off in the first half but he needed to be off a HT. Likewise with RS.

We made no real effort to get in behind their defence, our play was sluggish and lacklustre. On the rare occasion we did have players looking to break the lines the pass delivery wasn’t quick enough.

I have no real expectation of the national team but it’s still frustrating seeing players under perform for their country.

Looking solid at the back and making a few runs from midfield doesn't cut it anymore.

Southgate has made the men's team look like the women's team.

He's an absolute menace.

• Like 2

Not many positives there.

I actually don't mind Southgate but his blind faith in sterling is worrying. I just don't rate him at all. Impact player at best. I was going to comment on his performance against Croatia which wasn't great in my view but it seemed the rest of the world didn't agree.

The fear now is an over reliance on the return of Henderson and maguire just for their experience and leadership when they are miles off being match fit 

Pickford and stones were good and thats about it.

12 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

Not many positives there.

I actually don't mind Southgate but his blind faith in sterling is worrying. I just don't rate him at all. Impact player at best. I was going to comment on his performance against Croatia which wasn't great in my view but it seemed the rest of the world didn't agree.

The fear now is an over reliance on the return of Henderson and maguire just for their experience and leadership when they are miles off being match fit 

Pickford and stones were good and thats about it.

Agree with all of that. Sterling out of form, Kane out of form as well. Rashford was also out of sorts at the end of the season. Chuck Maguire and Henderson in there and it’ll only go one way as I see it.

Let’s see some form players like Sancho and Bellingham.

Experience etc is a vital component but it does not trump form IMO.

• Like 3

That was absolutely atrocious

Can you imagine France or Italy or Germany or Holland or Portugal or Spain or bloody Azerbijan playing like that against Scotland

Stones hits the bar, Marshall saves from Mount. That was it.

Them fans should ask for their money back

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Can you imagine France or Italy or Germany or Holland or Portugal or Spain or bloody Azerbijan playing like that against Scotland

We've got some decent players in the England squad, pity we've got a L1 manager in charge.

• Like 3

Guest whowantstoberich
5 minutes ago, Brissy-owl said:

Yep, Ian Wright played it well too , souness just thought scotland were brilliant 😂

England were the better side on reflection even tho not up to there best. 

However if that was must win I’m 100% certain we would have won that, it was more important to stay in control and ensure we got at least the point than it was too go all out attack.

Guest whowantstoberich
3 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Yes coz top teams never draw 😂. It was a derby when all said and done and one where we only needed a point. We came out of it with no injuries and a clean sheet. Job done and I think we will get at least to the semis