ENGLAND vs SCOTLAND - Official Matchday Thread

6 minutes ago, Spuddy01 said:

Sterling should be nowhere near the England team! 

He's terrible, he's greedy, he can't beat a man, he's got no end product, he's the most overrated player I think I've ever seen!

My nephew who works for the FA and knows Southgate and the players, says he is one of the nicest players in the squad, always has time to speak to everyone. He's not keen on Kane though, says he is arrogant and thinks he's better than everyone else. Was also a big fan of Joe Hart when he was an England regular. Same reason, a really nice bloke.

4 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

My nephew who works for the FA and knows Southgate and the players, says he is one of the nicest players in the squad, always has time to speak to everyone. He's not keen on Kane though, says he is arrogant and thinks he's better than everyone else. Was also a big fan of Joe Hart when he was an England regular. Same reason, a really nice bloke.

Correction - my God Son, not nephew. 

3 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

That wouldn't suprise me at all, he does seem to come across as a genuine bloke. 

He's still dog meyt at football though! lol

Guest LondonOwl313
16 minutes ago, Spuddy01 said:

Sterling should be nowhere near the England team! 

He's terrible, he's greedy, he can't beat a man, he's got no end product, he's the most overrated player I think I've ever seen!

England’s Harris

1 hour ago, scram said:

He looks very leggy.  But he's still a world class finisher so get him to do his work in the box. 

If he drops deep then its vital a runner gets beyond him into the space

It happened once when Foden got through but was offside (and he miscontrolled the ball)

Sterling looks like he's wearing high heels but on the wrong feet - his control yesterday was atrocious for a top player. 

Southgate needs to be brave - as Robson was in Italia 90 - and just admit it's a sh*tshow and change things

If a few big egos get bruised then tough but that team is not set up to win the big prizes

I said it last night and although there was a lot of emotion and fury I stand by the fact I could fully see the Scotland gameplan. 

I had no idea what England were trying to achieve

It was awful

If swap Southgate for Clarke in a heartbeat

Completely schooled Southgate last night

Agree with much of this, especially the need for runners if Kane drops deeper.  That said, Kane should be discouraged from dropping deep as often as he does, needs to save his energy for the 18 yard box.  Would like to see Grealish replace Sterling and Bellingham given a run in place of Phillips.

8 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

There are too many players who are woefully out of form too - Kane, sterling and Rachford for starters. 

Agreed, and two of those have been out of form for the best part of last season. It's questionable whether they should be in the squad, but how on earth Sterling got to stay on last night when Foden was substituted is beyond me. Southgate does not get the best out of the players, nor does he know his best team IMO. 

• Like 1

Have to say the modern game has become really boring. Risk free possession football is never going to win a tournament that is essentially a knock out competition. The slow build up where players go back and sideways whilst the opposing defence holds its shape results in stalemate. We have skillfull players. Encourage them to take the risk of beating a man rather than checking back and playing safe.

Southgate is coaching the life out of this team and refuses to pick Grealish and Rashford , players who will take on an opponent, in his  starting 11. Shameful display last night against gritty but poor Scottish team.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Joe Jockstrap said:

If we accept that we are a bang average side and draw against other bang average sides we shouldn’t get disappointed.

We are quite simply not in the same stratosphere as France, Italy, Germany etc, etc.

I disagree. I think Southgate has a great squad at his disposal; one that is capable of winning something but he messed up picking four right back and no midfield playmaker for the squad. We were crying out for James Ward-Prowse in the Scotland match because our midfielders appeared incapable of finding our creative players, finding the forwards or making a forward pass - in fact, John Stones became the playmaker for a short time - that’s shocking! I suppose that Henderson is the midfielder that is capable of of being the midfield playmaker but he’s no Glen Hoddle and injured. 

• Like 1

Just now, shandypants said:

I disagree. I think Southgate has a great squad at his disposal; one that is capable of winning something but he messed up picking four right back and no midfield playmaker for the squad. We were crying out for James Ward-Prowse in the Scotland match because our midfielders appeared incapable of finding our creative players, finding the forwards or making a forward pass - in fact, John Stones became the playmaker for a short time - that’s shocking! I suppose that Henderson is the midfielder that is capable of of being the midfield playmaker but he’s no Glen Hoddle and injured. 

The selection of another defender rather than a creative player epitomises southgate tbh

I also agree that our players should not be seen as some sort of makeweights in teams surrounded by foreign maestro's

They are integral players for the same teams (or level of teams) that play for what some are claiming to be streets ahead of England

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Worksop Wednesday said:

How come there are games still on today?

I thought Scotland had won the Euros after thrashing England 0 - 0 last night ?!

Hearing Nicola's also handing over the reins to Billy G ? Any one heard owt ?

FFS !!!

If I hear someone on STV refer to him as 'Little Billy Gilmour' one more time I am liable to need a new TV.

He's a 20-year-old adult you patronising ********.

It's worse than the blunts always referring to their players as 'Sharpey' and 'Burkey' and 'Jagielka-ey'.

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

If I hear someone on STV refer to him as 'Little Billy Gilmour' one more time I am liable to need a new TV.

It's worse than the blunts always referring to their players as 'Sharpey' and 'Burkey' and 'Jagielka-ey'.

For balance 'Westy', 'Sammy' etc

Owlstalk Shop

59 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

After 20 mins Ally McCoist said Gilmour couldn't keep up with the pace of the game  (aka blowing out of his arse)

He got took off after 76 mins

So he played 'half a game' but BOSSED IT according to pundits and media - Really ?

It was a poor game, England showed no energy or enterprise. Scotland would always run and chase etc

But neither looked like scoring and quality was lacking 

To Scotland its a 'victory' not losing to England, to English media its a shocking display cos we didn't beat 'little old' Scotland, so they laud the Scots and look for a hero - oh yeah,  'Little Billy Gilmour'   

The stuff of vomit  FFS !

1 hour ago, Worksop Wednesday said:

After 20 mins Ally McCoist said Gilmour couldn't keep up with the pace of the game  (aka blowing out of his arse)

He got took off after 76 mins

So he played 'half a game' but BOSSED IT according to pundits and media - Really ?

It was a poor game, England showed no energy or enterprise. Scotland would always run and chase etc

But neither looked like scoring and quality was lacking 

To Scotland its a 'victory' not losing to England, to English media its a shocking display cos we didn't beat 'little old' Scotland, so they laud the Scots and look for a hero - oh yeah,  'Little Billy Gilmour'   

The stuff of vomit  FFS !

The English media have nothing to do with it.

Nobody likes to play up the Plucky Little Scotland card more than the Scottish media.

They have spent all week talking like they are going to get a pasting from England like they are a semi-professional team of postmen and builders rather than a solidly mid-ranking international football team with a bunch of players mostly playing for the same clubs as their English counterparts.

The reality is that given how important Scotland was to the development of football and how big a grassroots following there is here, they underperform nearly as badly as England do on the world stage and for many of the same reasons.