IAN KNIGHT: My leg was like wet liver after horror challenge

6A8350B9-CBD5-42AC-AECD-46BB4AEC7412.jpeg

Ian Knight was one of the most promising defenders in English football when he burst on the scene at Sheffield Wednesday only for a horror tackle that would shatter his playing career.

Good read this one 👉👉 https://talkinfitbaw.co.uk/articles/f/ian-knight-my-leg-was-like-wet-liver-after-horror-challenge

• Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, William 1867 said:

Remember it so well unfortunately.

Same 

The worst thing was how the leg break came at a dull part of the game and the crowd was silent when it happened meaning everyone heard the crunch and snap 

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

"It was obviously devastating for myself but life led me down a different path I guess.

Throughout it all Ian Knights dignity shone through

Never heard him moan once when he had every reason to be bitter

A class act destined for a top career

A cultured centre half

His comment above says it all

Alan Smith… also class

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I was in Gary Bennetts company some years ago in Chester (on the day Ians payout was announced coincidentally)  He came across as a really personable likeable bloke. We talked about the tackle and he told me how much he regretted it and how sorry he was. I know they are only words but he seemed like he really meant it. I have no doubt that Ian would have gone on to play for England had he stayed fit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Same 

The worst thing was how the leg break came at a dull part of the game and the crowd was silent when it happened meaning everyone heard the crunch and snap 

Yes, remember it well. Could hear it, just no need for that bloody tackle. Knight would have gone on to be a full international for years, he was class.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Ryan Jones was another Owl who looked to be destined for a great career but a knee injury finished his career, he went from playing in the premier league with Sheffield Wednesday being picked for his country to ending his career at 23 toworking for Norwich Union.

Probably an injury nower days a player may come back from.

• Like 1

Bennett was giving it the big un before a ball was kicked in this tie , saying how cr@p Wednesday were and what he was going to do to us , and revelling in his "Psycho" nickname.

It gives you some idea how bad the challenge was when a blunt workmate of mine said that even their mob gave him dogs abuse not long after when he played against them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

6A8350B9-CBD5-42AC-AECD-46BB4AEC7412.jpeg

Ian Knight was one of the most promising defenders in English football when he burst on the scene at Sheffield Wednesday only for a horror tackle that would shatter his playing career.

Good read this one 👉👉 https://talkinfitbaw.co.uk/articles/f/ian-knight-my-leg-was-like-wet-liver-after-horror-challenge

I remember hearing the leg break,

not kidding

4 hours ago, owlsdreamer said:

I remember hearing the leg break,

not kidding

I know, can't imagine there was anyone in the ground that night that didn't hear it, sickening.

Me and my mates were sat in South lower and more or less level with the incident. Absolute waste of a promising career. 

• Like 1

Was on the Kop that night, it was horrific.

Don't care what Bennet may have said afterwards, he  made his intentions perfectly clear before the match and ruined what would have been a brilliant career.

Both Knight and Tony Adams were the England u21 centre back pairing at the time and I genuinely believe would have ended up being the centre back pairing for the senior team for an entire decade.

I was recovering from my ACL replacement and Alan Smith had me coming into the club gym during my recovery...it was probably the worst injury hit season we had and  Ian had that awful contraption with all the pins in on... but he always came over and asked me how I was doing...top lad

• Love 3