Euro 2021

I reckon the first XI almost picks itself this year, I just hope Southgate doesn’t try and play some stupid 532 or self sabotage tactics as we’ve seen a few times under him. 

Pickford (reluctantly) 

Shaw

Stones

Maguire

Walker

Rice

Henderson

Mount

Foden

Kane

Rashford

I actually really like that team, especially with the likes of Sterling/Grealish coming off the bench, although whoever we play alongside Kane will still be a strong team. As long as Henderson & Maguire are both fit I’m quietly confident! 

My only worries are Pickford is prone to dropping a clanger & that CM 3, I think if Dean Henderson, Mount and perhaps Bellingham were a little better/ more experienced I’d be very very happy with that team - think we’ll have a really excellent team for the next WC! 

Abit sceptical of Southgate too, our WC success in 2018 was still very fortunate and we lost all 3 games vs ‘big’ teams. How he’s set us up in the qualifications and friendlies makes me wonder if he’s going to try and be too smart for his own good....playing 5 at the back is not the answer!
Weve still got that England big game mentality curse, until we beat Portugal or Croatia I’ll not get my hopes up!

I can’t see this Belgium squad coming up

short again. This is their tournament to shine for me.

Only France realistically can challenge them IMO.

It’s too soon for us. As already been said we’re weak in the goalkeeping and central defensive areas. I can’t believe Southgate has ignored Tomori’s claims, he’s been ripping it up in Milan. No he instead goes with Stones, who’s always likely to drop a b*ll**k.

No, personally I feel as good players as we have now and will have sometime in the near future, while ever Southgate’s in charge we’re likely to come up short?

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Only France realistically can challenge them IMO.

It’s too soon for us. As already been said we’re weak in the goalkeeping and central defensive areas. I can’t believe Southgate has ignored Tomori’s claims, he’s been ripping it up in Milan. No he instead goes with Stones, who’s always likely to drop a b*ll**k.

No, personally I feel as good players as we have now and will have sometime in the near future, while ever Southgate’s in charge we’re likely to come up short?

Why has he gone for White over Dunk? The Brighton fans say Dunk is better

2 hours ago, Jim said:

They do have 2 away games in their group though. In fact, since they've got Finland in St Petersburg, it could effectively be 3, if the Finns are allowed to attend. They should still go through, and even if they come 2nd that shouldn't be too much of a problem. But you never know.

On 25/05/2021 at 20:27, Night King said:

It’s really wide open which makes it very interesting. I think we’ve got a great chance off we defend well, my main concern is Southgates obvious tactical flawes but his conservative approach could help our chances here because if we keep games tight we’ve got a lot of watch winners in the final third. Portugal look strong to me but have a very difficult group. 

England don’t win tournaments. I just can’t ever see it, regardless of the quality we may have 

Edited by FreshOwl

Actually can’t wait for this now.

Love the tournament vibes. All different nations coming together & their fans who are each unique in their own ways. 

3 matches a day 

good weather, booze 

there’s not much better 

Roll on 2 weeks!!! 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

I'm gonna stick my neck out and predict one of England, Belgium, Portugal, France, Spain, Germany or Netherlands to win lol

The beauty of tournaments is that the best footballing side doesn’t always win,  usually experience wins you trophies which is why I think the Germans will do it.

I also fancy Portugal who will have a point to prove as holders and with a very strong squad 

Edited by FreshOwl

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

The beauty of tournaments is that the best footballing side doesn’t always win,  usually experience wins you trophies which is why I think the Germans will do it. I also fancy Portugal 

Yeah they always do well in tournaments even when their not at their strongest like in 2002. Portugal have some real quality too and have recent experience of winning tournaments. 

On 29/05/2021 at 13:14, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Yeah they always do well in tournaments even when their not at their strongest like in 2002. Portugal have some real quality too and have recent experience of winning tournaments. 

And I completely forgot about France, the World Cup holders. They’ll be in the final 4 I’m sure 

France, Portugal or Belgium to win it. I initially fancied Portugal above all others but I do wonder if they'll find that they can't drop Ronaldo even if he holds them back tactically. France squad looks strongest on paper but we thought that in 2016 too. With Belgium it's basically about how they deal with the pressure, they're running out of chances for this generation to realise its potential.

Germany have given themselves a chance by recalling Müller and Hummels but I still don't see it working for them, Löw seems to have lost his way a fair bit since winning the World Cup. It's not a squad that scares you in the same way that so many other German teams down the years did (cue them slaughtering everyone and winning it at a canter now).

Spain squad looks pretty weak, Holland look decent but de Boer seems to be regarded as a clown over there, Italy could be dark horses.

England to get to the QFs, maybe semis if the draw is generous. I just don't trust us to get the balance right across the tournament, I'm fearing a return to the midfield stodginess of old.

I've also got a fairly irrational but strong conviction that we'll win every group game other than the one against Scotland, and Scotland will lose every group game except the one against us. It would just be so typical wouldn't it.

46 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

France, Portugal or Belgium to win it. I initially fancied Portugal above all others but I do wonder if they'll find that they can't drop Ronaldo even if he holds them back tactically. France squad looks strongest on paper but we thought that in 2016 too. With Belgium it's basically about how they deal with the pressure, they're running out of chances for this generation to realise its potential.

Germany have given themselves a chance by recalling Müller and Hummels but I still don't see it working for them, Löw seems to have lost his way a fair bit since winning the World Cup. It's not a squad that scares you in the same way that so many other German teams down the years did (cue them slaughtering everyone and winning it at a canter now).

Spain squad looks pretty weak, Holland look decent but de Boer seems to be regarded as a clown over there, Italy could be dark horses.

England to get to the QFs, maybe semis if the draw is generous. I just don't trust us to get the balance right across the tournament, I'm fearing a return to the midfield stodginess of old.

I've also got a fairly irrational but strong conviction that we'll win every group game other than the one against Scotland, and Scotland will lose every group game except the one against us. It would just be so typical wouldn't it.

You’ve literally described what will exactly happen lol hopefully not though 

Belgiums golden generation will deliver the same as ours did... Naff all. 

Portugal, France or a shock winner for me. 

Think Spain, Netherlands, Germany and Italy are all pretty meh squads on paper, and we have a very average manager and an incredibly tough route to the final 

I will be disappointed if we don't get to see ginger Kevin for Belgium, what an outstanding player he is.

Fatigue will play a big part in this tournament and a good number of England players have played a lot of games this year, Southgate has a lot of talent at his disposal and everyone will need to chip in if we are to advance deep into the later rounds.

When you think back to 2016 its remarkable how different the group is now.