Euro 2021

18 hours ago, Night King said:

Got a sneaky feeling there will be loads of injuries in this tournament following such a brutal 16 months or so of football. 

Me too... players looked knackered at end of that Austria game. I noticed trippier limping too. Austria were a bit rough for a friendly imo

On 02/06/2021 at 15:03, Adem Poric said:

I dont really watch Spanish football so couldn't say how Trippier has been playing

Their second best player this season.  When he was banned, their form dipped.  Was La Liga's best RB by a mile.

19 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Me too... players looked knackered at end of that Austria game. I noticed trippier limping too. Austria were a bit rough for a friendly imo

And to think we are taking players like Henderson who's injured, doubtful again for the next warm up game and not played since February. 

18 minutes ago, Skyline said:

And to think we are taking players like Henderson who's injured, doubtful again for the next warm up game and not played since February. 

Yea, think Maguire and Henderson are been taken as much for off the field things as otherwise. Club captains of the two biggest clubs. 

Personally I think with the bigger squad, it's worth taking at least Henderson for that reason. I would replace TAA with White and would have swapped Saka with JWP to give us more cover in CB and CDM but not against taking Henderson and Maguire with a squad of 26

An update on the use of VAR in the tournament

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/04/var-is-a-dangerous-project-admits-europes-top-refereeing-official

Not sure a dedicated offside VAR official will change things if highly marginal decisions. Stuff like this goes against the "spirit of the Laws of the Game", a term used by Rossetti in this article

18 hours ago, fudge27 said:

As an aside. 

Does anyone know if 3 gks is mandatory?  Never got why everyone always picks them if not, surely 2 gks and an extra outfield option would be worth a risk for some squads 

If one gets injured you won’t have a sub keeper. We’ve picked 8 right backs so I don’t think 3 keepers is unreasonable. 

• Like 1

Spent a bit of time this morning simulating the tournament to aide my bets for the tournament and I love doing it anyway. Had England losing the final to France, tough route through though. Portugal in the last 16, Poland in the quarters and the Germans in the semis, all the flip of a coin though and wouldn’t have money on us. 

I have a resurgent Italy getting to the semi finals after knocking Belgium out in the quarters and Spain finishing 3rd in a very tight group. Themselves Poland and Sweden all on 5 points. 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

If one gets injured you won’t have a sub keeper. We’ve picked 8 right backs so I don’t think 3 keepers is unreasonable. 

Right. 

Not what I asked though. Just wondered why no team ever takes that gamble (not saying for us to do it this year) 

4 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Right. 

Not what I asked though. Just wondered why no team ever takes that gamble (not saying for us to do it this year) 

I think it’s in the rules that you have to pick 3 goal keepers within the squad. 

On 04/06/2021 at 12:55, fudge27 said:

As an aside. 

Does anyone know if 3 gks is mandatory?  Never got why everyone always picks them if not, surely 2 gks and an extra outfield option would be worth a risk for some squads 

You do have to select 3. I would pick the 2 best keepers we have and the best penalty saving keeper in the league, and sub him on in event of a shoot out. 

3 hours ago, flo said:

Russia angry about Ukraine kit

🥱

And we got into trouble over a poppy. Wonder if Russia and Ukraine could play each other, or are they kept apart on purpose like some other countries? Maybe we should proper kick off with Germany again, avoid em in tournaments. 

• Haha 3

Spain headed into the competition with Covid, no last game, no training and being fancied by no one. 

Weakest squad on paper for a long time.  

Yet they are stronger than the sum of their parts due to the philosophy and confidence of 2008-2012. 

Just look at the Germany drubbing to see that. 

This will be a shootout between France, germany & Portugal 

We have a few decent areas in attack and that’s it. The rest of our positions aren’t anywhere near as strong as the top teams 

Can’t see any further than the QFs for England