Grealish

Kane

Rashford

Saka

Sancho

Sterling

Screams 3-4-3 to me.

I hope not.

With that squad we can easily stick with the 4-2-3-1 we have played more recently. 

Stones. Maguire
James.                           Shaw

Henderson.        Rice 

Mount 

Grealish                     Foden 

Kane

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Stones. Maguire
James.                           Shaw

Henderson.        Rice 

Mount 

Grealish                     Foden 

Kane

Thats the team id go with. 4-2-3-1 as well. However, the squad looks like Southgate will go 3-4-3 in more games than not. I really hope he doesn’t. 

But Foden and Grealish are just exceptional players and must start. I’d rather have rachford, sancho and sterling as bench options. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bouncing Owl said:

Thats the team id go with. 4-2-3-1 as well. However, the squad looks like Southgate will go 3-4-3 in more games than not. I really hope he doesn’t. 

But Foden and Grealish are just exceptional players and must start. I’d rather have rachford, sancho and sterling as bench options. 

I agree. 

Honestly, playing Rashford will be like playing with 10 men. He’s ridiculously shot and needs leaving out so he can recuperate

Sterling is just blehhhh, too direct and lacks imagination 

13 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

4 right backs lol

It does seem a bit pointless. They are all good players but surely 3 would have been more than enough in that position. I get that Walker & James can play as a 3rd CB but they won't all be needed. 

Might as well have taken an attacking player that offers something completely different as a wild card. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It does seem a bit pointless. They are all good players but surely 3 would have been more than enough in that position. I get that Walker & James can play as a 3rd CB but they won't all be needed. 

Might as well have taken an attacking player that offers something completely different as a wild card. 

I wonder if he sees TAA as a wildcard for midfield? 

Apparently Lingard is playing tomorrow

Lingard set to play against Austria tomorrow despite not being in the squad.

Fair play to him for wanting to play but somewhat makes a mockery of the game being a warm up and prep for the competition if players who aren't even going to the tournament are going to play. 

I don’t think it’s harsh at all on Lingard. The guys had a good second half of the season, that’s it. There’s others who have been putting in work for a while and who are better 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I wonder if he sees TAA as a wildcard for midfield? 

Apparently Lingard is playing tomorrow

Don't think he will tinker with the midfield options in the tournament. Bellingham, Henderson, Rice, Mount and Phillips more than enough to cover 2 positions.

The Lingard one is bizarre for me. What if he bosses the game tomorrow and gets man of the match? Well played Jesse, see ya later. Unless the fitness of Phillips or Henderson is still in doubt and Lingard might still sneak in.

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

I don’t think it’s harsh at all on Lingard. The guys had a good second half of the season, that’s it. There’s others who have been putting in work for a while 

Saka had a decent start to the season but hasn't been great consistently. Can't see him playing whereas I think Lingard would be a better option as a sub.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Saka had a decent start to the season but hasn't been great consistently. Can't see him playing whereas I think Lingard would be a better option as a sub.

To be honest I agree on that, not a fan of Saka at all and he’s the one player I’d actually substitute for Lingard 

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

To be honest I agree on that, not a fan of Saka at all and he’s the one player I’d actually substitute for Lingard 

I just don't see where Saka fits in as an asset to this squad. Not as a full-back or wing-back with all the options we have and not as a wide forward for the same reasons.

Lingard could potentially offer a lively attacking midfield goal threat from the bench. 

Completely agree about the possibility of Southgate looking to play a 343 again against the stronger teams. Only possible reason to have picked all those full backs. Saka is the strange one for me, Ward Prowse would have been a more sensible pick to bolster the midfield numbers with a short of fitness Henderson been carried. 

2 minutes ago, Night King said:

Completely agree about the possibility of Southgate looking to play a 343 again against the stronger teams. Only possible reason to have picked all those full backs. Saka is the strange one for me, Ward Prowse would have been a more sensible pick to bolster the midfield numbers with a short of fitness Henderson been carried. 

That would represent a backward step for me, we went 3 at the back in the World Cup semi-final and couldn't keep the ball or contain effectively as the game wore on.

We have looked more fluid with 4-2-3-1 recently and it better accommodates our attacking strength. 

Play the attacking full-backs in the games we expect to be on top and the more defensive ones in the games against top sides. Play 2 holders in the big games and just one if we are well on top or need to go for goals.