Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

5 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

If the criteria to enter this is marketability - which Spurs inclusion proves it is - then I guess this becomes a world league within 2-3 years, and expands well beyond 20 teams.

LA Galaxy, LA FC, New York City FC, Beckham's Miami outfit, Boca Juniors, Sao Paulo, Sydney FC, Melbourne Victory, a couple of teams from Japan, a couple from China..

Don’t think they would let any South American sides in, they wouldn’t be able to take their best players anymore

19 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Day two of this and I am still amazed at the faux outrage.  It is like a competition to see who can be the angriest.

The same teams qualify for the Champions league pretty much every season in Italy, Spain and England.  Yes, very occasionally a Leicester or an Everton sneak in, but the new competition allows for that with the flexible additional 5 club entry.  From the perspective of English teams, this is just a different structure to the same old midweek Champions League once it gets serious, where the clubs will make more money as a result. 

If this new competition comes with much better/ cheaper TV access  that means fans actually watch games -  remember, the 'classic' semi finals of Liverpool v Barca and Spurs v Ajax were seen by very few people in this country as they were on BT sport - I'm all for it.

Those 'classic' big games were such because they were more of one-off big occasions. Seeing Real Madrid play Liverpool every season twice will dilute that.

As for faux outrage, I presume you are completely comfortable with Arsenal finishing 9th in England and deciding whether they want to invite 3rd place Leicester into their private party for a season? 

The big 6 do often dominate but they are creating this through a combination of the biggest European clubs being in huge debt and the smaller clubs having the temerity to infiltrate their sacred top 4. Leicester winning the league was a huge wake up call for them, how dare another club try to break their dominance. 

7 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

If the criteria to enter this is marketability - which Spurs inclusion proves it is - then I guess this becomes a world league within 2-3 years, and expands well beyond 20 teams.

LA Galaxy, LA FC, New York City FC, Beckham's Miami outfit, Boca Juniors, Sao Paulo, Sydney FC, Melbourne Victory, a couple of teams from Japan, a couple from China..

Yep. It is a stepping stone to a global competition with 'home' games being played out all around the world. Look at the NFL with games in London and looking to expand to more countries, that's what this will become and the traditional fans of these clubs will be evermore squeezed out. 

If some rich megalomaniacs want to try and make money out of football then they should set up their own completely new franchises and buy out the players, they shouldn't prey on and take advantage of the tradition and scope of the traditional big clubs that were set up and developed in the heart of the communities they want to take them away from. 

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don’t understand why this appeals to City because they are just a rich mans play thing, why are they suddenly interested in wrecking football as we know it to make extra money? They already have the money?

The rich never have enough money, although there are noises that they only signed up because they feared top level football might leave them behind if they didn't. That's why Neville and others are seeing them as a weak link in this chain and are calling on them to bring it down rather than thinking Liverpool or Man Utd will do it because those American owned clubs appear to have far less social responsibility and contact with the community. 

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Day two of this and I am still amazed at the faux outrage.  It is like a competition to see who can be the angriest.

The same teams qualify for the Champions league pretty much every season in Italy, Spain and England.  Yes, very occasionally a Leicester or an Everton sneak in, but the new competition allows for that with the flexible additional 5 club entry.  From the perspective of English teams, this is just a different structure to the same old midweek Champions League once it gets serious, where the clubs will make more money as a result. 

If this new competition comes with much better/ cheaper TV access  that means fans actually watch games -  remember, the 'classic' semi finals of Liverpool v Barca and Spurs v Ajax were seen by very few people in this country as they were on BT sport - I'm all for it.

Who gives a fizz about the Champions League?  

I think the last time I watched a European match Mark Hughes was playing for Chelsea.  

This new format is even less appealing given that it is basically a bunch of glorified friendlies based on buying your way in rather than sporting achievement or merit.

European football is irrelevant.  This is about the integrity of the domestic game.   A handful of clubs are attempting to set themselves apart as 'better' than the rest and seize a total unbreakable monopoly over the game. 

This is a plan to end the very concept of football as a sport based on merit and achievement, and turn it into WWE-style 'sports entertainment' based on who makes the most money.  They want to turn every other club (including the one you support) into permanent jobbers, to be effortlessly dispatched by the 'face' teams in front of TV audiences in the USA, China and the Middle East.

Anyone who supports it needs to be drummed out of football.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 442 said:

The South American sides are fan owned. No chance of them joining. They would literally burn their country to the ground at the thought of it.

Surely the chance to keep their best players for once would appeal? Imagine Maradona being able to play for Boca through his entire career

40 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

So you would be happy that rich owners could just up and move your football club away, they could move it like a franchise to China for a more demanding market...take the history away, rip the domestic leagues up, not be bothered about you because all they are thinking about is the money?

Faux outrage? Get real .

• Like 3

UEFA created this.

Diluting the CL into a farce. 
Why would a PL team want to commute in midweek to Baku or Bulgaria?

People paying tv subscriptions want to watch top teams meeting like the ‘champions’ league used to be. Not Real Madrid reserves pumping Astana 7-0. 
UEFA greed sowed the seeds.

Nothing wrong with the cup winners cup or UEFA cup originally. 
Creating meaningless fixtures & league formats isn’t exciting. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

Dortmund and Munich have 30 days to respond to the offer, PSG have 14 days.

I think there is a certain amount of posturing in the press from these three. 

I don't think it's a done deal that they don't at this point.

That's just speculation on my part.

https://www.football365.com/news/dortmund-bayern-munich-confirm-european-super-league-breakaway

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9490249/LEquipe-hails-PSG-Bayern-Munich-rejecting-European-Super-League.html

1 minute ago, The only way is S6 said:

UEFA created this.

People paying tv subscriptions want to watch top teams meeting like the ‘champions’ league used to be. Not Real Madrid reserves pumping Astana 7-0. 

I don't think created is the right word because this has been spoke about for a while now but I do agree UEFA haven't helped with the format...bit like blatter saying he wanted to involve all the world when he handed Qatar the WC.

But I do think UEFA do need to rethink because let's be honest they also make a lot of money out of football, it's just these rich owners of these big clubs wants it all for themselves and disregarding everyone else.

Be interesting to see how this pans out on Friday.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

They still have about 4 weeks to reverse that decision though. 

I hope they won't, but they can still bite that carrot if they want to. PSG have about two weeks... if they u-turned, I'd expect the German clubs to follow.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

They still have 30 days to change there mind mate.

That's also in its current proposed format. Don't think that there won't be concessions and negotiation going on.

Right now yes, however I'm not going to be naive and believe them.

5 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

UEFA created this.

But that's exactly what this 'super league' will do when they invite 'names' to join them each season and then kick them out for the latest 'on trend' teams.

Teams like Bate who win their domestic league have far more right to play in a European Champions League than the 4th placed English club but the group stage was brought about by these big clubs to protect themselves from being knocked out of the competition early in a 2-leg tie.