Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

Perez doesn't half talk a load of bolllocks ...saying young fans are becoming disinterested in the game ...he just wants to break away because he has saw the green...his own club like the Italian clubs are in serious debt, he's also lied about not approaching PSG or the German clubs too.

How Man City have agreed to this is beyond belief for all the good they've done towards their fans in Manchester....a real kick in the bolllocks.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, striker said:

Wonder if the collective football world can restrict the use of the word football, make them call it soccer

If only there was some way to prevent them using the names and branding of the famous football clubs they stole to get this off the ground.

Those names belong to the local communities.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, owl_83 said:

If that happens, I am done with Football. I don't think you can overestimate the feeling of supporters here. I know a couple of Man Utd and Tottenham supporters at work and they have stated that they will not go to games anymore if the Super League happens. It is just not the supporters of the Non Big 6 that are against this, the supporters of the Big 6 are as well.

The existing fans of the treacherous 6 have been labelled 'legacy fans' by the owners though. I suspect they will just be cast to one side as new fans the world over are recruited instead who will buy into this plan.

Very sad but the owners are showing they don't really care.

21 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Will be interesting what the 14 other PL clubs have to say.  Remember that the Big 6 could easily influence at least three of those 14, and maybe others could be swayed by a cash incentive. 

If Parrish’s interview on sky is anything to go by, I think he is already banking on it.

Isn’t the proposals that 5 ‘lucky’ teams will be invited to join them every year? If one of those is from the Premier League there is a 1 in 14 chance they can ‘qualify’ with a £400m bonus.

How many PL teams will be planning a gamble to get the results to join them? 

• Like 1

Day two of this and I am still amazed at the faux outrage.  It is like a competition to see who can be the angriest.

The same teams qualify for the Champions league pretty much every season in Italy, Spain and England.  Yes, very occasionally a Leicester or an Everton sneak in, but the new competition allows for that with the flexible additional 5 club entry.  From the perspective of English teams, this is just a different structure to the same old midweek Champions League once it gets serious, where the clubs will make more money as a result. 

If this new competition comes with much better/ cheaper TV access  that means fans actually watch games -  remember, the 'classic' semi finals of Liverpool v Barca and Spurs v Ajax were seen by very few people in this country as they were on BT sport - I'm all for it.

1 minute ago, s63owl said:

If Parrish’s interview on sky is anything to go by, I think he is already banking on it.

Isn’t the proposals that 5 ‘lucky’ teams will be invited to join them every year? If one of those is from the Premier League there is a 1 in 14 chance they can ‘qualify’ with a £400m bonus.

How many PL teams will be planning a gamble to get the results to join them? 

If that is what happens then the entire Premiership needs to be removed from the English football pyramid.

Let them enjoy being permanent jobbers for the Franchises from now until the day they fold.

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Day two of this and I am still amazed at the faux outrage.  It is like a competition to see who can be the angriest.

The same teams qualify for the Champions league pretty much every season in Italy, Spain and England.  Yes, very occasionally a Leicester or an Everton sneak in, but the new competition allows for that with the flexible additional 5 club entry.  From the perspective of English teams, this is just a different structure to the same old midweek Champions League once it gets serious, where the clubs will make more money as a result. 

If this new competition comes with much better/ cheaper TV access  that means fans actually watch games -  remember, the 'classic' semi finals of Liverpool v Barca and Spurs v Ajax were seen by very few people in this country as they were on BT sport - I'm all for it.

Even if it completely destroys the domestic game and devalues every other competition.

For balance, I'm amazed at your consistent ability to spout complete and utter guff on all manner of subjects.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

How can anybody call it a big 6 with Spurs in it?

What are the criteria for being big?

A club like Ajax aren’t involved, nor any team from Rome? 
Lyon anybody? Seven consecutive league titles & 4 cup wins this century. 
The whole thing is laughable. 

I agree. I think the criteria was someone went to sports shops in Beijing, Seoul and Tokyo and asked whose shirts were the most popular       . This isn’t about the fans in this country it’s about the Far East market and these are the most popular. If Burnley sold 50 million shirts out there they would have been included. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

I don't think it's faux outrage.

It's a separate competition, created and agreed in private, to concentrate finances on those teams, and the rules they've written are that those teams can't suffer.  The same teams say they always want to remain in their existing competitions that they have used to gain their status too for good measure.

I think there are people who are genuinely perturbed by such a competition, because it instantly affects clubs not invited to the competition.  

4 minutes ago, Manwë said:

It's a separate competition, created and agreed in private, to concentrate finances on those teams, and the rules they've written are that those teams can't suffer.  The same teams say they always want to remain in their existing competitions that they have used to gain their status too for good measure.

Exactly this. I've seen five year olds in the playground trying to structure fairer rules.

For me I couldn't care less whether they make a new league or whatever—that end of the game is so far gone that I struggle to get wound up about it—but transparently writing the rules so their own income is guaranteed is beyond the pale.

38 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Big new shiny stadium, England striker and Gareth Bane playing for them, and a champions league final loss. 

Basically I think they are interesting as Arsenals local rival, in a small league, a couple of deby games, might wet the appetite for more people to pay for it on their TV screens. Plus half of London might buy it. 

I’m surprised Everton didn’t get a call 

Sky and the fans have made Liverpool v man Utd into the big game in that part of the world. Far out ranks the Merseyside Derby to most neutrals and even fans of those teams I'd say these days

33 minutes ago, owl_83 said:

If that happens, I am done with Football. I don't think you can overestimate the feeling of supporters here. I know a couple of Man Utd and Tottenham supporters at work and they have stated that they will not go to games anymore if the Super League happens. It is just not the supporters of the Non Big 6 that are against this, the supporters of the Big 6 are as well.

If the fans boycott the media, the sponsors etc then you pull the supporting rug from underneath them. I hope that happens. Only time will tell but fans can stop it if we want to.

UK fans and European fans yes. 

This is franchise ball for yanks and Asian Market. THE OWNERS WON'T CARE. THE MASSIVE THROBBERS

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

Also, surprised it hasn't become a world league, suppose that will be stage two I guess

If the criteria to enter this is marketability - which Spurs inclusion proves it is - then I guess this becomes a world league within 2-3 years, and expands well beyond 20 teams.

LA Galaxy, LA FC, New York City FC, Beckham's Miami outfit, Boca Juniors, Sao Paulo, Sydney FC, Melbourne Victory, a couple of teams from Japan, a couple from China..

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Howards back said:

I agree. I think the criteria was someone went to sports shops in Beijing, Seoul and Tokyo and asked whose shirts were the most popular       . This isn’t about the fans in this country it’s about the Far East market and these are the most popular. If Burnley sold 50 million shirts out there they would have been included. 

That and the fact that Spurs have cozied up to American sports with their dual purpose stadium.