Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

23 minutes ago, ANDY said:

Pathetic and spineless.

It's getting increasingly clear that stopping this is going to be up to the fans.

Pressure needs to be maintained on governments to legislate against this theft of community assets.

The angry mobs and sweary banners need to start appearing outside the offices of associated corporations and would-be sponsors as well as the clubs.

• Like 2

Just now, scram said:

TV rights and spnsors will demand the extra 5 matches they have paid for though

And they will get them either through UEFA having no choice - or through the courts which will be especially costly for UEFA

They're in a no-win situation

Not often i feel for those c*nts but they have no choice in this

I agree, they will want to take action but their hands are tied in legal obligations and it is such a convoluted mess to try and reorganise the competition as you have outlined. 

56 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I don’t think the Germans will fall into line. Not as ‘founder’ clubs anyway. I know quite a few German football fans and they believe their clubs are significantly less money oriented than those of here, Spain and Italy. Football is still the game of the people in Germany (according to the people I know anyway). 
If they do want to play in the ESL if it gets up and running they will be offered the invitation places anyway. No need for them to go ‘all in’ when they can pretty much guarantee to trouser the money while avoiding the bulk of the controversy.  
My experience of Germans is they are very thoughtful and canny in there decision making. If they can avoid the big risk but keep an eye on the cash I think that’s what they will do. 

Good point.

I reckon that the German clubs are much more "fan aware" than many of their European counterparts (e.g. ticket prices, accessibility, safe standing at matches, etc) and the fans will some impact on any decisions taken.

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Once a decade? 

Arsenal would be lucky to finish in the top 4 once a decade now - which is exactly why they want this.

At no point have they said they will up sticks and move cubs and matches? At no point did they reveal they were thinking about this at all or reveal prospective plans until they saw it as a done deal.

It is obvious this is just a short step to franchise football and English clubs playing 'home' games all around the globe. 

You post so much guff on so many subjects that you are surely a wind up that I keep falling for. 

These top teams currently play reserve teams in the FA Cup - and everyone is OK with that.

They play youth teams in the league cup - and everyone is OK with that.

They have got about 98% of the champions league places up for grabs in the past 20 years -and everyone is ok with that

They play their games on TV we have to pay a fortune for (so barely anyone watches) - and everyone is ok with that

They habitually pull their players from internationals - everyone is ok with that

They distort the leagues by hoovering up talent and loaning it out everywhere - and everyone is ok with that 

They have ruined the UEFA cup by allowing knocked out european cup teams to join-  and everyone is ok with that

They blow massive sums on buying any half decent player from another Prem team so no other team can really compete - Mahrez, Kante, Mane, Mcguire etc etc - and everyone is OK with that.

But this super league thing , thats not OK.

Ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Completely misses the point.

Millions more people will get to watch a bunch of meaningless exhibition matches between the same group of football clubs (use the term clubs loosely) over and over again.

Whoop de do.

See also  - the latter stages of the Champions League.

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

These top teams currently play reserve teams in the FA Cup - and everyone is OK with that.

They have got about 98% of the champions league places up for grabs in the past 20 years -and everyone is ok with that

They play their games on TV we have to pay a fortune for (so barely anyone watches) - and everyone is ok with that

They habitually pull their players from internationals - everyone is ok with that

They distort the leagues by hoovering up talent and loaning it out everywhere - and everyone is ok with that 

They have ruined the UEFA cup by allowing knocked out european cup teams to join-  and everyone is ok with that

They blow massive sums on buying any half decent player from another Prem team so no other team can really compete - Mahrez, Kante, Mane, Mcguire etc etc - and everyone is OK with that.

Ridiculous.

Everyone is not OK with the things you have listed.

This latest move is the biggest towards franchise football ad home games for English clubs in everywhere except England. When was the last time Arsenal and Spurs finished in the top 4 in the same season?

You know all this though so I'll leave you to it. 

The consequences for these clubs are irrelevant. These owners have no other target than the cash on the table. The damage to the game isn’t on their radar and that’s why this is dangerous.   

I said yesterday that the players hold the key to this, and Man City. I think they will back out and then it will fall apart. 

• Like 2

Guest Grandad
5 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Ridiculous.

Outstanding post

1 minute ago, vulva said:

The consequences for these clubs are irrelevant. These owners have no other target than the cash on the table. The damage to the game isn’t on their radar and that’s why this is dangerous.   

I said yesterday that the players hold the key to this, and Man City. I think they will back out and then it will fall apart. 

Hope so.

12 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Course it did.

games on TV that barely anyone watches due to cost (audiences on sky games are a 10th of what they are on free TV)

Tickets that are outrageously priced - over £1k for season tickets at some prem clubs

FFP rules, parachute payments, TV money share means those 6 clubs always get the top 4 places anyway - I can think of only Leicester once, and Everton once in the last 15 or so years where it hasnt been.  

And we are now saying that this next action -basically a restructuring of the champions league - is the straw that broke the camels back? 

Bizarre.

It's not a restructuring of the Champions League though, is it?

It's an attempted permanent theft of the Champions League by a handful of Franchises based on nothing more than their ability to buy a place at the top table.

The vast majority of ACTUAL champions

won't be in it.  They will still be in UEFA's tournament for actual sports teams.  

If they want to fizz off and essentially be footballing equivalents of the Harlem Globetrotters then by all means, let them.

But they must not be allowed to bend the domestic game even further out of shape with the money they make from their HyperGlobalMegaSoccerBallFranchise exhibition matches.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Outstanding post

Not really.

Nobody whose opinion is actually worth anything is OK with any of that.

It's like trying to argue that, just because your house got burgled a few years back and got away with it, it's fine for someone to break in and murder you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Ridiculous.

Except most people aren't OK with any of that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

It's not a restructuring of the Champions League though, is it?

It's an attempted permanent theft of the Champions League by a handful of Franchises based on nothing more than their ability to buy a place at the top table.

The vast majority of ACTUAL champions

won't be in it.  They will still be in UEFA's tournament for actual sports teams.  

If they want to fizz off and essentially be footballing equivalents of the Harlem Globetrotters then by all means, let them.

But they must not be allowed to bend the domestic game even further out of shape with the money they make from their HyperGlobalMegaSoccerBallFranchise exhibition matches.

I look at this from the point of view of England.

Those teams have already, over many years, bought themselves the place at said top table.  I can only recall, in the past 20 years, Everton under Moyes once (knocked out in qualifying round) and Leicester getting in apart from the 6 breakaway clubs.  This season, of course, may have Leicester in again.  From an English club point of view , the theft happened long ago.

52 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

And that's exactly why I'm not buying the holyier than thou attitude from them. 

What ‘holier than thou attitude’ are the German clubs displaying? I’ve read their statements and they just say they aren’t joining the ESL and they think the answer to the Corona crisis is to look at player fees and wages and agent fees and to adjust them to reflect the new financial environment. Not seen any ‘holier than thou’ chat from them. Have you seen something different?

• Like 1