Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

4 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

They won't remain in the pyramid, they don't want to. They want a European league to run, as a normal league. Not as an additional competition.

All you do is speed it up. That's the ultimate goal here.

Let them, if that's what they want.

The disappearance of six football clubs would be a small price to pay to get the money out of the game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Young fans have also been priced out of football. Thats a major factor. 

I agree with this. 

Also, kids these days would rather sit at home and watch Barcelona v PSG in the Champions League than go watch their own club.

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I would have thought Most 9 year olds are like that. I couldn’t get through a game when I was a kid. But yeah probs especially hard now with the way teams play passing it between their defence for 80% of the match 

True.

You don't truly get into it until your teens though id imagine.

What winds me up is that 20 years ago, Man City got relegated from the Premiership and was playing in Division 1. Up until 2009-10 (11 years ago) their highest Premier League finish was 8th. They were by no means a "big club" and certainly would have been laughed at if they wanted to join the European Super League. Now they want to close the door and be assured of a place in the Super League? Tell them to **** off.

• Like 2

If kids are not interested in football any more (what a load of testicles) perhaps it is because the game is a cesspool of greed and corruption that has never been more remote and unlikeable to the ordinary fan.

I suspect that most people got into football as kids, not because they got to stream glorified friendlies between Barcelona Vs Juventus every week on demand and they fell in love with the 'technical excellence' of the 'worlds best' players tippy tappying the ball around in their own half, but because their dad/uncle/whoever took them to a match and they fell in love with the atmosphere.

Edited by owlinexile
  • Like 5

I think the backlash against this has been very strong, stronger than maybe they expected.   From all quaters; players, governments, football organisations, and fans alike of their own clubs and that of others.

Will be interesting what the 14 other PL clubs have to say.  Remember that the Big 6 could easily influence at least three of those 14, and maybe others could be swayed by a cash incentive.  Will be also interesting if the broadcasters stump up for such a league.  Will be more interesting whether fans (in these countries) stump up money to broadcasters.  My impression is that fans will pay up, and therefore broadcasters will do too.  

I think the idea of the Big 6 playing in the EPL on Saturday and then in the ESL on Wednesdays is a non-starter though  Fixtures haven't worked like that since, er, Sky TV gave them loads of money.  Unless the EPL are willing to admit that they are the sub in sub-dom relationship where the Big 6 also decide on fixture scheduling.

I'd be very tempting to let them go, but the EFL/EPL need a Plan A if they are to go.  Plan A would mean that football in this country becomes more competitive, more open, more affordable.  I wouldn't hold my breath for that though either.  No sunny uplands should the Big 6 go, and none if they stay.

26 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

They won't remain in the pyramid, they don't want to. They want a European league to run, as a normal league. Not as an additional competition.

All you do is speed it up. That's the ultimate goal here.

I'd let them have it mate, but it's made clear to them they can never return to the English leagues. No big loss in my opinion. We can then restructure our league and make it competitive again. I also wouldn't lose any sleep if Sky and BT fecked  off with them and we brought live  football coverage back to terrestrial TV where it belongs. The governing bodies have a golden opportunity here to take back control from the greedy clubs, they cannot afford to not take it. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Manwë said:

I think the backlash against this has been very strong, stronger than maybe they expected.   From all quaters; players, governments, football organisations, and fans alike of their own clubs and that of others.

Will be interesting what the 14 other PL clubs have to say.  Remember that the Big 6 could easily influence at least three of those 14, and maybe others could be swayed by a cash incentive.  Will be also interesting if the broadcasters stump up for such a league.  Will be more interesting whether fans (in these countries) stump up money to broadcasters.  My impression is that fans will pay up, and therefore broadcasters will do too.  

I think the idea of the Big 6 playing in the EPL on Saturday and then in the ESL on Wednesdays is a non-starter though  Fixtures haven't worked like that since, er, Sky TV gave them loads of money.  Unless the EPL are willing to admit that they are the sub in sub-dom relationship where the Big 6 also decide on fixture scheduling.

I'd be very tempting to let them go, but the EFL/EPL need a Plan A if they are to go.  Plan A would mean that football in this country becomes more competitive, more open, more affordable.  I wouldn't hold my breath for that though either.  No sunny uplands should the Big 6 go, and none if they stay.

They 100 percent don’t care about a backlash.

don’t forget this is American backed, they think nothing of moving a full club from one side of the country to another

They wouldn’t have expected anything else

1 hour ago, The only way is S6 said:

How can anybody call it a big 6 with Spurs in it?

What are the criteria for being big?

A club like Ajax aren’t involved, nor any team from Rome? 
Lyon anybody? Seven consecutive league titles & 4 cup wins this century. 
The whole thing is laughable. 

Big new shiny stadium, England striker and Gareth Bane playing for them, and a champions league final loss. 

Basically I think they are interesting as Arsenals local rival, in a small league, a couple of deby games, might wet the appetite for more people to pay for it on their TV screens. Plus half of London might buy it. 

I’m surprised Everton didn’t get a call 

Just now, S36 OWL said:

I'd let them have it mate, but it's made clear to them they can never return to the English leagues. No big loss in my opinion. We can then restructure our league and make it competitive again. I also wouldn't lose any sleep if Sky and BT fecked  off with them and we brought live  football coverage back to terrestrial TV where it belongs. The governing bodies have a golden opportunity here to take back control from the greedy clubs, they cannot afford to not take it. 

I think that's what's at play, mate and we now have to take back control of our clubs and communities and history bthat come with it.

We've allowed these clubs to become to powerful.

It's going to be hard, it's going to be a bit crap for a while, during the adjustment. However we have a real chance to reboot the game in a sustainable and fair way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Regardless of backlash, it feels like there isn’t much we can do 

The owners seem nonchalant and with Perez saying they’ll just create their own World Cup

they ain’t bothered 

Let them create their own 'world cup' too.

The more obvious they make it that this ridiculous project is a completely different sport from football, the better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

I worry the Premier league will allow them to compete with a 'B' side...

If that happens, I am done with Football. I don't think you can overestimate the feeling of supporters here. I know a couple of Man Utd and Tottenham supporters at work and they have stated that they will not go to games anymore if the Super League happens. It is just not the supporters of the Non Big 6 that are against this, the supporters of the Big 6 are as well.

If the fans boycott the media, the sponsors etc then you pull the supporting rug from underneath them. I hope that happens. Only time will tell but fans can stop it if we want to.

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

Let them create their own 'world cup' too.

The more obvious they make it that this ridiculous project is a completely different sport from football, the better.

Wonder if the collective football world can restrict the use of the word football, make them call it soccer

40 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I would have thought Most 9 year olds are like that. I couldn’t get through a game when I was a kid. But yeah probs especially hard now with the way teams play passing it between their defence for 80% of the match 

I think this is true... I always supported Wednesday, but I didn't get into going to all the matches and actually watching full matches on TV and what not until my teens. 

6 hours ago, Plonk said:

Here’s a thought. Restructure the football league. Promote the top six from the non league. And carry on without the big six. The champions league should be for champions. Bring back the cup winners cup and the EUFA cup for second and third. Allow players to tackle get rid of var. set a realistic pricing and wage structure for each league so nobody can buy their league again. And let the ESL circus go off on its world tour and proper fans refuse to watch it. 

Said this on about page 30. Couldn't agree more. 

Europe for me should be 16 league winners in a straight 2 leg knock out. Champions league. 

16 Cup winners/finalists from the 16 leagues in a straight 2 leg knock out. Cup winners Cup. 

2nd and 3rd from the 16 leagues in a format similar to current champions league. Though I'd make knock outs a one off game at a neutral venue. 

UEFA Cup. 

Wages cap at 20k a week in this country. German ownership model. Tickets capped at max of £25 a game and £300 a season. Less coverage on sky. Sunday and 1 day mid week for PL. 

Reset, if we lose a bit of quality Im all for it. Make English football into how it was, not this generic almost lab produced stuff seen now 

• Like 3