Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

2 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

They could, but will fall into line when it appears they will be left behind.

I don’t think the Germans will fall into line. Not as ‘founder’ clubs anyway. I know quite a few German football fans and they believe their clubs are significantly less money oriented than those of here, Spain and Italy. Football is still the game of the people in Germany (according to the people I know anyway). 
If they do want to play in the ESL if it gets up and running they will be offered the invitation places anyway. No need for them to go ‘all in’ when they can pretty much guarantee to trouser the money while avoiding the bulk of the controversy.  
My experience of Germans is they are very thoughtful and canny in there decision making. If they can avoid the big risk but keep an eye on the cash I think that’s what they will do. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Quality would determine the latter stages of a proper knockout CL, like it used to. Bate have every right yes, but they’re never gonna get far. Also, their season compared to second in the PL is laughable. UEFA saw more group fixtures = more tv rights income. Same as FIFA with the WC.

Destroying the novelty & sense of achievement of playing in it. Like getting to Wembley used to be prestigious.

Big European nights like Liverpool coming back to beat Barcelona used to be prestigious, they won't be when they play each other in a group league twice every season and invite Miami along too because they get a lot of likes on Instagram. Super League group matches being taken on tour and the finals being played in Malaysia. 

16 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If it proves that it is going ahead then maybe so - if it gets to a stage that it actually starts then the reality is that the clubs involved know that Bayern will make their project stronger and they will doubtless invite them in even if they were critical at the onset.

I do have more faith in the German clubs to hold out against this though. That may be naive, I guess we can all be a bit like that is the quest for hope and good faith - for example I've seen some posters today posting that they expect Wednesday to win tonight! :ph34r: 

Wednesday will tonight, to prolonged the agony.

lol

We shall see on this thing, One thing I would do would be to deduct the English teams 21 points. That would send a message immediately.

Edited by Maddogbob

10 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I don’t think the Germans will fall into line. Not as ‘founder’ clubs anyway. I know quite a few German football fans and they believe their clubs are significantly less money oriented than those of here, Spain and Italy. Football is still the game of the people in Germany (according to the people I know anyway). 
If they do want to play in the ESL if it gets up and running they will be offered the invitation places anyway. No need for them to go ‘all in’ when they can pretty much guarantee to trouser the money while avoiding the bulk of the controversy.  
My experience of Germans is they are very thoughtful and canny in there decision making. If they can avoid the big risk but keep an eye on the cash I think that’s what they will do. 

This is spot on , I also know a (british) lad who lives near Stuttgart, lived in Germany for 20 odd years and he goes to football matches and said as much, Germans are people that make careful decisions however should their clubs be run by rich oil owners or American bankers then things might well turn sour like they have here....but they aren't which is a great thing.

14 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

And that's exactly why I'm not buying the holyier than thou attitude from them. 

2 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

And that's exactly why I'm not buying the holyier than thou attitude from them. 

I personally think they are in a great position by being able to sit this storm out for the time being ...I bet Man City and perhaps Spurs wish they had now.

“The premier league is nothing without those 6 clubs” is a comment from lots of there fans but that isn’t true. For the money men, sky sports, BT sports and the foreign TV markets yes it’s nothing but for the domestic fan it makes no difference. If anything it will breath life into the football pyramid.

Once again people confusing the average fan with the men creaming it off and taking money out of the game. 

• Like 3

Just now, TaxiMark said:

I personally think they are in a great position by being able to sit this storm out for the time being ...I bet Man City and perhaps Spurs wish they had now.

Man city and Chelsea, in my opinion, those with American ties won't give a chuff. This is exactly what they want.

1 hour ago, owlinexile said:

Who gives a fizz about the Champions League?  

I think the last time I watched a European match Mark Hughes was playing for Chelsea.  

This new format is even less appealing given that it is basically a bunch of glorified friendlies based on buying your way in rather than sporting achievement or merit.

European football is irrelevant.  This is about the integrity of the domestic game.   A handful of clubs are attempting to set themselves apart as 'better' than the rest and seize a total unbreakable monopoly over the game. 

This is a plan to end the very concept of football as a sport based on merit and achievement, and turn it into WWE-style 'sports entertainment' based on who makes the most money.  They want to turn every other club (including the one you support) into permanent jobbers, to be effortlessly dispatched by the 'face' teams in front of TV audiences in the USA, China and the Middle East.

Anyone who supports it needs to be drummed out of football.

What you described happened many years ago.

8 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Wednesday will tonight, to prolonged the agony.

lol

We shall see on this thing, One thing I would do would be to deduct the English teams 21 points. That would send a message immediately.

They don't care about points deductions. What difference does it make to Liverpool if they finish 2nd or 16th? It doesn't affect their Super League position and the Premier League is to become just a necessity to their local fans for the time being. 

I'm hearing more and more from people "I cannot accept this in this format". So what I can see happening is that there will be some sort of restructuring, maybe even some sort of relegation/promotion incorporated somehow so that they can come back and say "look, it's not a closed shop" but the founders being protected, or at least having more protection than the "invited teams", and then a lot of press, commentators, ex-footballers etc will then start to accept it and saying its much better then the original idea. Then it will just be a fight out between ESL and UEFA about how it works and what happens to the Champions League which will then start to be the small print in the news. 

Maybe it will be a league and there would be promotion from the Premier League into playoffs. Who knows what will happen, but it isn't going away and I just cannot see the Premier League just banishing them. At the end of the day they will want a piece of the pie too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaxiMark said:

So you would be happy that rich owners could just up and move your football club away, they could move it like a franchise to China for a more demanding market...take the history away, rip the domestic leagues up, not be bothered about you because all they are thinking about is the money?

Faux outrage? Get real .

At no point have they said that.

They have said they basically want a different version of the champions league that guarantees that 6 clubs who almost always make up the top 4 anyway enter automatically.   

You will see once a decade a rogue team like Leicester or Everton sneaking in - the new competition allows that.  But are we really saying this is the end of football because it stops crystal palace having a 500/1 chance of getting champions league football?  Nonsense.

These six clubs have proved they don’t care about their fans or their history. 

the EFL. FA and PL should with immediate effect strip them of their previous honours. 

dock them points. Or better still expel them from all current football competitions.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

They don't care about points deductions. What difference does it make to Liverpool if they finish 2nd or 16th? It doesn't affect their Super League position and the Premier League is to become just a necessity to their local fans for the time being. 

They have to have some sort sanction. All six need to be taken out of the title/top 4 race. 

Makes them insignificant, effects players/managers bonus and reduces the finial finishing place money they receive.

It's not much. But it's a start.