Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

2 hours ago, scram said:

Clubs generally cannot afford it though

That's the issue as to why so many clubs are flirting with bankruptcy

Rather than mess around with arcane and ridiculous FFP rules - the authorities shgould be putting caps on wages of say 50% of income

Clubs are in dire positions due to financing wages - at all levels

That's still not the fault of the players. Not one of our players forced our club to have a wage bill that amounted to well over 100% of our income recently. 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

Everything will have to be squeaky clean.

Well, apart from the stench of corporate greed and hypocrisy obviously.

it'll be ghastly. 

Glorified exhibition matches, that's it. 

Sadly, it will attract millions upon millions of plastic, mickey mouse fans, but then that's the whole point. 

• Like 2

It's f*cked though, isn't it?!

I see Carra and Neville talking about how they hope it won't happen. 

Think they're kidding themselves tbh. The "big" clubs have made their play and have pretty much rendered all competitions in Europe obsolete. 

The idea that things will go back to what they were say 48 hours ago isn't happening. At best, you will get some sort of compromise which will still make a complete mockery of the competition. 

Yesterday was a seismic moment. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

It's f*cked though, isn't it?!

I see Carra and Neville talking about how they hope it won't happen. 

Think they're kidding themselves tbh. The "big" clubs have made their play and have pretty much rendered all competitions in Europe obsolete. 

The idea that things will go back to what they were say 48 hours ago isn't happening. At best, you will get some sort of compromise which will still make a complete mockery of the competition. 

Yesterday was a seismic moment. 

Yep a whole new different world now.  This will change football forever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How much of the money from the old first division do you think made its way to the fourth division before the advent of the Premier League? 

Before the PL, the model was a bit flatter though and clubs were, generally, locally sustainable to a large extent so the money didn't really need to be filtered down. The PL distorted and increased wealth at the top beyond the dreams of avarice turning the game from a domestic to a global brand. Has the PL meant that lower division clubs have to be supported beyond local means whereas in the past, before its creation, this wasn't so much the case? I'm not sure, but it feels like that to me; at least anecdotally. It seems to me that the PL has just distorted wealth and caused a ripple effect to lower league clubs where costs (agent and player fees) have risen but revenues haven't. Happy for you to say/demonstrate that isn't the case though.

• Like 2

The absolute cowardice of weirdo ******** like the Glazers. Happy to make these decisions and then leave their employees to take the flak whilst all we get from them is radio silence. If they think this idea is such a good one come out and tell us. 

Neville was spot on. Utter scavengers. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I'm the other way, I think it's a done deal.

Talk of three other clubs we don't know about yet, plus psg, Dortmund and Munich with invites.

Could you imagine if it's Celtic and Rangers??

All those 3 have declined invites though haven't they?

It'd be funny if there was some way of stopping them taking the football club's name with them. Stop them trading in the UK and let them f*ck off to Dubai and they can get out of the league while thinking up a nice new name for themselves. Wishful thinking, and downright impossible, but all that would be great.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

What’s wrong with the Premier League? If Wednesday had been in it for the duration give or take a few seasons, and we’d had the money from it, had invested in facilities, had top players here then people would have different opinions. There’s a kind of nostalgia for the time which Wednesday were good.

Its not a closed shop at the moment.. there was a spell maybe about 15 years ago where it was Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea who were always the top 4, but more recently it’s more mixed. Sheff Utd were able to finish top half, West Ham have had a good season, Wolves had a couple of good seasons, Leicester won it and are now one of the best teams.

Its a competitive league and the standard has never been higher. There’s too big a gap to championship level but that could be rectified if there was less greed. The general principle of a premier league and the media and commercials that go along with it is a good one though. It looks a lot better than the 80s when you look back and the pitches were crap, the fans were all pissed up and fighting, the players were unathletic and played hoof ball. Premier league has brought progress

Before the advent of the Premier League Liverpool won the title 10 times in 16 years, Arsenal twice and Everton twice. It's not as if there wasn't a dominant few clubs prior to the PL. 

Yes the top 4 positions had become a bit more of a certainty since the PL but even that has opened up a bit more recently with Arsenal and Man Utd's decline. 

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That's still not the fault of the players. Not one of our players forced our club to have a wage bill that amounted to well over 100% of our income recently. 

Players and agents have bled clubs dry

Lets not pretend they are not complicit in this sh*tshow

Look how many players have demanded to be paid in full (with full backing of the leagues and PFA) even after clubs have gone into admin

Player wages and agent fees are the biggest expenditure by miles for clubs

It is true that nobody forced clubs to pay the wages - but the culture had been set

And it set football on a course of impending doom

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dronfield Blue said:

I'm beginning to think it may have a chance of failing (assuming high level pressure is brought to bear on the ESL)

I agree with Neville, if one club pulls out (English) it could crumble.

What I don't know is what pre contractual agreements have been signed by the 6, and if there is any financial penalty for withdrawing from the ESL at this point.

Is it legal in the first place to just break away though?

51 minutes ago, Señor Sam said:

I'd be surprised if it does but if the 3 get booted that only leaves PSG who aren't part of it but could be at a later date.

I really feel for the real supporters of the clubs involved. Their clubs really will be despised now, whatever happens; by other fans and, horribly, by themselves. I know most of that can be aimed at the owners but it's them that have really destroyed all local links and history doing something like this. Really horrid stuff when you think about it.

Edited by Owl Be Back
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

Before the PL, the model was a bit flatter though and clubs were, generally, locally sustainable to a large extent so the money didn't really need to be filtered down. The PL distorted and increased wealth at the top beyond the dreams of avarice turning the game from a domestic to a global brand. Has the PL meant that lower division clubs have to be supported beyond local means whereas in the past, before its creation, this wasn't so much the case? I'm not sure, but it feels like that to me; at least anecdotally. It seems to me that the PL has just distorted wealth and caused a ripple effect to lower league clubs where costs (agent and player fees) have risen but revenues haven't. Happy for you to say/demonstrate that isn't the case though.

Clubs in the lower leagues have more money than ever before thanks to the PL. Clubs at our level lose money hand over fist chasing the dream of the PL and the disparity between parachute payments is partly responsible for that but owners still have a responsibility to manage the books effectively. Why should clubs in division 4 be financially worse off due to the PL? They are undoubtedly further adrift from the top flight than ever before but what difference does that make to the majority of them? In 1984 the division 4 average attendance was a little over 2,000. Now it is over 4,000. They are better supported, have better facilities, better infrastructure, they aren't any worse off than they were. Teams like Mansfield had no significantly greater chance of reaching the top flight then than they do now.

10 minutes ago, scram said:

Players and agents have bled clubs dry

Lets not pretend they are not complicit in this sh*tshow

Look how many players have demanded to be paid in full (with full backing of the leagues and PFA) even after clubs have gone into admin

Player wages and agent fees are the biggest expenditure by miles for clubs

It is true that nobody forced clubs to pay the wages - but the culture had been set

And it set football on a course of impending doom

Blame the Bosman ruling for that as much as the PL.

If the football world really doesn’t want this to happen, there has to be an avenue back for the 6 English clubs.  The threats of expulsion are fine and merited, but if if the FA/PL/UEFA/FIFA really do want them to drop it, they have to give them a way to save a bit of face and do a u-turn.  It’ll be interesting to see what that is.

This all makes Chansiri seem like a top-class owner in comparison.

I suddenly love the fact that we're going to be on League 1 for a reset with a hugely reduced wage bill. 

Madly ironically, financially this could save us, and with a bit of luck on the pitch could see the club become a lot closer to the fans.

And as for the Super League, I just despair at the whole situation - its almost like a bad dream or April Fool's joke.

I just cannot believe how idiotic those 6 clubs have been signing up to this mess. They deserve every punishment coming - but I feel sorely for their genuine fans.