Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

Just now, StudentOwl said:

They still have about 4 weeks to reverse that decision though. 

I hope they won't, but they can still bite that carrot if they want to. PSG have about two weeks... if they u-turned, I'd expect the German clubs to follow.

They are just sitting on the fence to see how it plays imo .

54 minutes ago, s63owl said:

If Parrish’s interview on sky is anything to go by, I think he is already banking on it.

Isn’t the proposals that 5 ‘lucky’ teams will be invited to join them every year? If one of those is from the Premier League there is a 1 in 14 chance they can ‘qualify’ with a £400m bonus.

How many PL teams will be planning a gamble to get the results to join them? 

Results don't matter.  Unless you mean financial results.

The Franchises will invite the clubs that they expect to bring the most financial reward to themselves.

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

They still have 30 days to change there mind mate.

That's also in its current proposed format. Don't think that there won't be concessions and negotiation going on.

Right now yes, however I'm not going to be naive and believe them.

The statements have come from the very top of these clubs - of course they want some changes to current European football which is what they have been discussing in Champions League reforms.

Don't know what more they could have done to come out against it. They could have just stayed silent - like the English clubs that are actually involved in this have done.

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The statements have come from the very top of these clubs - of course they want some changes to current European football which is what they have been discussing in Champions League reforms.

Don't know what more they could have done to come out against it. They could have just stayed silent - like the English clubs that are actually involved in this have done.

They are fence sitting. For now. Nothing more. 

This will happen, just not in this current proposed format.

Edited by Maddogbob

6 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

UEFA created this.

Diluting the CL into a farce. 
Why would a PL team want to commute in midweek to Baku or Bulgaria?

People paying tv subscriptions want to watch top teams meeting like the ‘champions’ league used to be. Not Real Madrid reserves pumping Astana 7-0. 
UEFA greed sowed the seeds.

Nothing wrong with the cup winners cup or UEFA cup originally. 
Creating meaningless fixtures & league formats isn’t exciting. 

That's why the European Cup was better than the CL.

The only teams in it were the ones who had won their respective domestic leagues.

Expanding the CL qualification from top only to top 2 and then top 4, was nothing more than a money spinner for UEFA.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

They are fence sitting. For now. Nothing more. 

This will happen, just not in this current proposed format.

Fence sitting is saying nothing, being cautious. 

As said I am sure they are looking for reforms but they are largely fans owned and they recognise that actual fans don't want this. 

They could have stayed silent and actually sat on the fence. 

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fence sitting is saying nothing, being cautious. 

As said I am sure they are looking for reforms but they are largely fans owned and they recognise that actual fans don't want this. 

They could have stayed silent and actually sat on the fence. 

Playing to the crowd mate, that's all it is.

Liars and hypocrites the lot of them. We will have to wait and see.

The invites are still on the table.

Edited by Maddogbob

9 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Of course they are. They arnt stupid.

But let's also not forget how the German clubs are owned too, if anything I'm surprised PSG didn't sign up straight away...but the Germans have to be careful and by staying silent although I do believe Dortmund made a statement saying they aren't looking to join this ESL which was interesting...but ultimately they do have a certain amount of time to change their mind.

9 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

That's why the European Cup was better than the CL.

The only teams in it were the ones who had won their respective domestic leagues.

Expanding the CL qualification from top only to top 2 and then top 4, was nothing more than a money spinner for UEFA.

It was demanded by the clubs like the ones who have instigated this new league.

They saw that they were the biggest draw for tv audiences and could not fathom why they had to share the money equally with teams they felt weren’t their equals - and they really didn’t like being knocked out early over two legs against them.

So the CL was reformed to keep them sweet.  As we’re finding out, blackmailers always come back for more.

• Like 4

Playing to the crowd mate, that's all it is.

Liars and hypocrites the lot of them. We will have to wait and see.

The invites are still on the table.

Their crowd is fan owned though. They could have got away with saying nothing and truly sitting on the fence. What have the orchestrators of this farce had to say since the news broke? Anything official from Man Utd, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs? 

5 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

But let's also not forget how the German clubs are owned too, if anything I'm surprised PSG didn't sign up straight away...but the Germans have to be careful and by staying silent although I do believe Dortmund made a statement saying they aren't looking to join this ESL which was interesting...but ultimately they do have a certain amount of time to change their mind.

Agreed, interesting to see what the other 14 clubs here do first.

If they invoke a rule to stop and apply sanctions, sky money goes down the pan. Im not sure what they can actually do without, cutting there noses off.

The six clubs know this and have all the power, as malc says blackmailers always come back for more.

Edited by Maddogbob

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Their crowd is fan owned though. They could have got away with saying nothing and truly sitting on the fence. What have the orchestrators of this farce had to say since the news broke? Anything official from Man Utd, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs? 

That's them exactly waiting and seeing what happens.

The English clubs don't care, they are all in regardless, right now. They don't care.

4 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

PSG's owners are closely aligned with the powers that be at UEFA and they are also very close to achieving their ultimate aim of winning the Champions League at this time, they are unlikely to rock the boat. They could well turn, I have a bit more faith in the Germans. 

12 hours ago, SiJ said:

You are probably correct. 

Tbf, how many of us on here roll our eyes when an international week comes along? 

Club football has become the be all and end all in the last couple of decades. 

Still - getting denied the opportunity to play in a Euros or World Cup will be a blow to most top players. 

Should also be said that national teams getting together is perhaps much more important for foreign players. 

Harry Kane has three young kiddies at home.

As ambitious as he is,  he isn't going to be too gutted to miss out on a month away from his family in December to play in a World Cup that is very tainted to start with. 

I reckon players will start to come out and condemn this plan throughout the week to be honest. The hatred of the fans will be too much for them. Players like Kane are multi millionaires already - they don't need the hassle or money of the ESL.

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

That's them exactly waiting and seeing what happens.

The English clubs don't care, they are all in regardless, right now. They don't care.

So why haven't they come out and said as much? I completely agree they don't really care which is why we are where we are but one or two may have a bit more of a doubt about this than the likes of ManUre and Liverpool.

The Germans could have sat on the fence and kept quiet. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

PSG's owners are closely aligned with the powers that be at UEFA and they are also very close to achieving their ultimate aim of winning the Champions League at this time, they are unlikely to rock the boat. They could well turn, I have a bit more faith in the Germans. 

I have more faith in the Germans as well.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

So why haven't they come out and said as much? I completely agree they don't really care which is why we are where we are but one or two may have a bit more of a doubt about this than the likes of ManUre and Liverpool.

The Germans could have sat on the fence and kept quiet. 

They could, but will fall into line when it appears they will be left behind.

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But that's exactly what this 'super league' will do when they invite 'names' to join them each season and then kick them out for the latest 'on trend' teams.

Teams like Bate who win their domestic league have far more right to play in a European Champions League than the 4th placed English club but the group stage was brought about by these big clubs to protect themselves from being knocked out of the competition early in a 2-leg tie. 

Quality would determine the latter stages of a proper knockout CL, like it used to. Bate have every right yes, but they’re never gonna get far. Also, their season compared to second in the PL is laughable. UEFA saw more group fixtures = more tv rights income. Same as FIFA with the WC.

Destroying the novelty & sense of achievement of playing in it. Like getting to Wembley used to be prestigious.

They could, but will fall into line when it appears they will be left behind.

If it proves that it is going ahead then maybe so - if it gets to a stage that it actually starts then the reality is that the clubs involved know that Bayern will make their project stronger and they will doubtless invite them in even if they were critical at the onset.

I do have more faith in the German clubs to hold out against this though. That may be naive, I guess we can all be a bit like that is the quest for hope and good faith - for example I've seen some posters today posting that they expect Wednesday to win tonight! :ph34r: