Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I look at this from the point of view of England.

Those teams have already, over many years, bought themselves the place at said top table.  I can only recall, in the past 20 years, Everton under Moyes once (knocked out in qualifying round) and Leicester getting in apart from the 6 breakaway clubs.  This season, of course, may have Leicester in again.  From an English club point of view , the theft happened long ago.

But 6 into 4 doesn't go so they can't all qualify without setting up their close shop. When was the last time Arsenal and Spurs finished top 4 in the same season and how many times has it happened?

This is a short step away from Man City V Miami in the Super League at the new home of the Citizen's, somewhere far far away from Manchester. 

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

Pathetic and spineless.

It's getting increasingly clear that stopping this is going to be up to the fans.

Pressure needs to be maintained on governments to legislate against this theft of community assets.

The angry mobs and sweary banners need to start appearing outside the offices of associated corporations and would-be sponsors as well as the clubs.

It really needs everyone to get involved... Fans alone will not stop this. The owners have shown nothing but contempt for fans, their employees, their communities and football. The owners only want the fans' money regardless of the chaos. Ruining the game is not on their radar because they only see greed.

The ESL is what happens when too much money ends up in the hands of the few. Rule #1 of unethical business; turn your company into a monopoly by excluding the competition. Therefore, the Government might want to consider a hike or even a new top rate of Corporation Tax or introduce legislation to increase competition. They could even introduce residency and tax laws to support the movement. Hitting these avaricious owners in the pocket is the only language that these foreign owners understand.

Local authorities could consider planning permission and curfews... Sponsors can be boycotted... Governing bodies can be creative (wouldn't it be a shame if England matches clashed with ESL fixtures, for instance?)... Fans can switch off...

We all need to do our bit.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

These top teams currently play reserve teams in the FA Cup - and everyone is OK with that.

They play youth teams in the league cup - and everyone is OK with that.

They have got about 98% of the champions league places up for grabs in the past 20 years -and everyone is ok with that

They play their games on TV we have to pay a fortune for (so barely anyone watches) - and everyone is ok with that

They habitually pull their players from internationals - everyone is ok with that

They distort the leagues by hoovering up talent and loaning it out everywhere - and everyone is ok with that 

They have ruined the UEFA cup by allowing knocked out european cup teams to join-  and everyone is ok with that

They blow massive sums on buying any half decent player from another Prem team so no other team can really compete - Mahrez, Kante, Mane, Mcguire etc etc - and everyone is OK with that.

But this super league thing , thats not OK.

Ridiculous.

But none of those things stop competition

Are people seriously this thick? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Those teams have already, over many years, bought themselves the place at said top table.  I can only recall, in the past 20 years, Everton under Moyes once (knocked out in qualifying round) and Leicester getting in apart from the 6 breakaway clubs.  This season, of course, may have Leicester in again.  From an English club point of view , the theft happened long ago.

Yes, and now you're basically saying it's okay that the theft happened, and in fact what we should do is give all of those thieving b@stards an extra £250 million head start over the rest of the competition just because they've been so good at being thieving b@stards. 

F*cking genius. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

And now that will never change, forever.  And instead of having most of the money, those clubs will have ALL of the money, forever.  Everyone else will be literal jobbers.

And I guess no money or sporting reward at all for the dozens of European national champions who won't get a look in to this every year because they aren't as popular in China as the team that finished halfway up the table in ******** England.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Leeds and Newcastle? When Spurs started getting in it then it was akin to Everton or Leicester getting there. They’re so out of their depth it’s unbelievable. 

football changes and evolves, 20 years ago it would probably be 6 Italian clubs wanting to do it with Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal

bur it’s like these teams now at the top table have decided on an arbitrary finish line that secures them indefinitely 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

These top teams currently play reserve teams in the FA Cup - and everyone is OK with that.

They play youth teams in the league cup - and everyone is OK with that.

They have got about 98% of the champions league places up for grabs in the past 20 years -and everyone is ok with that

They play their games on TV we have to pay a fortune for (so barely anyone watches) - and everyone is ok with that

They habitually pull their players from internationals - everyone is ok with that

They distort the leagues by hoovering up talent and loaning it out everywhere - and everyone is ok with that 

They have ruined the UEFA cup by allowing knocked out european cup teams to join-  and everyone is ok with that

They blow massive sums on buying any half decent player from another Prem team so no other team can really compete - Mahrez, Kante, Mane, Mcguire etc etc - and everyone is OK with that.

But this super league thing , thats not OK.

Ridiculous.

What complete guff. Vast swathes of football fans are anything but "OK" with the above.

• Like 1

Guest Grandad
18 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Not really.

Nobody whose opinion is actually worth anything is OK with any of that.

Change it from 'OK with any of that' to 'didn't do anything about it' then

Guest Grandad
8 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

And now that will never change, forever.  And instead of having most of the money, those clubs will have ALL of the money, forever.  Everyone else will be literal jobbers.

And I guess no money or sporting reward at all for the dozens of European national champions who won't get a look in to this every year because they aren't as popular in China as the team that finished halfway up the table in ******** England.

I remember when it wasn't about prize money

14 minutes ago, Uncle Mort AMB said:

Rumours that 2 clubs are backing down and aren't going through with it, got a feeling that's City and Chelsea.

Man Utd and Liverpool will be the driving force behaind this....don't have Man City/Chelsea money but feel they have an entitlement, Spurs and Arsenal will be shortly behind because of the same wierd entitlement (particularly Spurs) and are both poo and nowhere near good enough to qualify for the Champs league on merit. Man City and Chelsea don't need the money and will drop out

16 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

What ‘holier than thou attitude’ are the German clubs displaying? I’ve read their statements and they just say they aren’t joining the ESL and they think the answer to the Corona crisis is to look at player fees and wages and agent fees and to adjust them to reflect the new financial environment. Not seen any ‘holier than thou’ chat from them. Have you seen something different?

I'm not buying there position. They are just playing to the crowd. I have some faith in them, a small amount.

But when push comes to shove, they will shift.

Just now, Grandad said:

Change it from 'OK with any of that' to 'didn't do anything about it' then

And that's an excuse to roll over and take this lying down? 

The time to draw the line often comes later than it should, but it's that or just giving them carte blanche. God knows I don't normally enjoy the sight of Leeds fans at Elland Road but the protests last night verged on heartwarming.

• Like 2

Just now, Maddogbob said:

I'm not buying there position. They are just playing to the crowd. I have some faith in them, a small amount.

But when push comes to shove, they will shift.

They have to play to their crowd, seeing as any decision made on joining the Super League would have to be approved by that same crowd.

16 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

It really needs everyone to get involved... Fans alone will not stop this. The owners have shown nothing but contempt for fans, their employees, their communities and football. The owners only want the fans' money regardless of the chaos. Ruining the game is not on their radar because they only see greed.

The ESL is what happens when too much money ends up in the hands of the few. Rule #1 of unethical business; turn your company into a monopoly by excluding the competition. Therefore, the Government might want to consider a hike or even a new top rate of Corporation Tax or introduce legislation to increase competition. They could even introduce residency and tax laws to support the movement. Hitting these avaricious owners in the pocket is the only language that these foreign owners understand.

Local authorities could consider planning permission and curfews... Sponsors can be boycottedGoverning bodies can be creative (wouldn't it be a shame if England matches clashed with ESL fixtures, for instance?)... Fans can switch off...

We all need to do our bit.

There's a new angle the government could pursue.

If they want to be treated like businesses instead of sports clubs, let's treat them like businesses.

You could take them to absolute pieces with anti-cartel/competition laws.

• Like 3

Guest Grandad
2 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

And that's an excuse to roll over and take this lying down? 

Oh sorry.

I didn't realise I'd said that 😳