Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

6 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

For the life of me I don't understand the hand wringing and pearl clutching over upsetting fans, players and staff of these clubs.

Fans, players and staff rarely deserve any of the severe punishment or costs that clubs face. They didn't at Bury or Macclesfield who are operating with phoenix clubs. They didn't deserve successive relegations to League Two at Bolton or Portsmouth shortly after falling out of the Prem. They didn't as Luton were constructively relegated with multiple severe points deductions. At Swindon in 1990, Bournemouth in the early 2000's.. US THIS YEAR.. it goes on, and on, and on, and on..

But we draw the line when it comes to upsetting Manchester United, Arsenal etc and their millionaire players? There isn't a violin small enough. I care as much about the prospect of them receiving financial punishment, points deductions etc about as much as their equivalent forums care about ours. Not a damn jot. At least Chansiri has only destroyed SWFC and not sought to tear apart the fabric of the national game for his own benefit.

I get all that. But in the terms of law have these big six broken any rules by the ESL proposal? 

The whole escapade has cheered me up no end! It’s nice to see a bunch of rich people having to give hand wringing apologies and beg forgiveness. Won’t change much for us grubbing around in Championship demotion land but it’s been a bit of fun to watch. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I get all that. But in the terms of law have these big six broken any rules by the ESL proposal? 

I don't know. Not my area of expertise. I suspect much of it will come down to interpretation and intention - as so often seems to be the case when applying substantial points deductions across and other divisions.

I did notice earlier that one of the Sky presenters, Swanson perhaps, put something on Twitter suggesting there is a rule in the Premier League laws preventing signing on for other competitions while a member. If contracts were signed with Perez, JPMorgan, the ESL or whoever then there may be a law break, yeah.

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We got docked 12 points at the start of this season and I'm pretty sure none of our fans or players had anything to do with that.

But again, if they haven’t broken any rules then you can’t punish them surely? Don’t get me wrong, something should happen, but the situation needs to be looked at objectively. like Sheffield Dave says, there may be a rule where you can’t sign up for another competition whilst in the PL, which if true would warrant punishment 

Just now, FreshOwl said:

But again, if they haven’t broken any rules then you can’t punish them surely? Don’t get me wrong, something should happen, but the situation needs to be looked at objectively. like Sheffield Dave says, there may be a rule where you can’t sign up for another competition whilst in the PL, which if true would warrant punishment 

Well yeah.

If they've broken something then throw the book at them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Sky charge subscription fees to watch football.

They are part of the problem when it comes to huge wages and fees in the game - they’re a vehicle which drive the crazy bidding and money thrown about. They have a day of national coverage dedicated to clubs splashing obscene amount of money around to get the best players so they can get more money in TV rights and more Sky TV exposure.

They change kick-off times to suit their broadcast schedule rather than catering to the average fan.

So do Sky really care about the average fan? Or do they care about money? 

They pay the going rate for an incredibly popular product.

Completely agree re kick off times

Sky care about the money - if they said they cared about fans I wouldn’t believe them - because why should they?  They’re a business trying to turn a profit, and as football fans we’re the most loyal/gullible demographic out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Malc said:

A salary cap only works if it’s implemented worldwide.  If one country doesn’t have it, there is a temptation to just offer better wages and skew the competition.

I don’t know if it’s even possible, but I’d like to see owners banned from loading the club with personal debt whether that’s as a result of buying them (Man Utd) or loaning for transfers/wages/day to day running (Dave Allen).

If mega rich owners want to put their own money in with no expectation of getting it back then fine - we’re apparently operating in a free market economy.

Maybe...but who cares if they do go to Spain...that becomes the Spanish clubs problem, or Italian clubs problems ( like before....big wages eventually runs out and becomes impossible to work like it isn't now hence why these big guns got together and decided to explore new ways to bring even more money in ...and that cash cow is now the far east.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Sky charge subscription fees to watch football.

They are part of the problem when it comes to huge wages and fees in the game - they’re a vehicle which drive the crazy bidding and money thrown about. They have a day of national coverage dedicated to clubs splashing obscene amount of money around to get the best players so they can get more money in TV rights and more Sky TV exposure.

They change kick-off times to suit their broadcast schedule rather than catering to the average fan.

So do Sky really care about the average fan? Or do they care about money? 

You might say that but they offer a very good product, football on TV before Sky came was one game on TV o a Sunday called the big match if you're old enough to remember that, plus people have a choice to either buy it or leave it.

There are problems with Sky yes, but they have also brought football viewing to homes like never before, some like it, others don't its a choice you make...the PL clubs or we wouldn't have complained had we beat Hull in 2015.

8 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

8 million quid it's cost these clubs to sign up to the ESL for 2 days 😆

Sincerely hope it ends up costing the 800 million each. Bankrupt the fokkers

3 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

Maybe...but who cares if they do go to Spain...that becomes the Spanish clubs problem, or Italian clubs problems ( like before....big wages eventually runs out and becomes impossible to work like it isn't now hence why these big guns got together and decided to explore new ways to bring even more money in ...and that cash cow is now the far east.

Well, English football fans will care if the talent starts disappearing abroad again.  That was one of the reasons the PL became so popular as the big names started appearing here in our stadia where we could watch them live rather than just on satellite tv that very few people had at that time.