Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

They are massive clubs and would be disruptive to the top order of the league (in time). Celtic in particular might be bettered only by Manchester United and Liverpool as far as international appeal goes if they were dining at the top table every year and with the money that brings.

Again, why would England want some other clubs to disrupt them and at the same time, pay those clubs for the privilege?   Why would a Club in the second to seventh tier in the pyramid want to step aside to give a club with far more money an un-earned leg up?

If I was a Rangers or Celtic fan, I could see the massive benefit of it all.  More money, more exposure.  I can't see any long-term tangible benefit for the English clubs to have two big foreign clubs parachuted in above 72 other English sides and handed £150m a year for their troubles, while simultaneously wrecking Scottish football.

• Like 1

And to add, Rangers/Celtic may feel the SPL is lacking and need an escape from it, but I don't think the EPL needs fresh blood as such.  It's not a fair mix.  

NL and Belgium is a more equal match.    

5 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Part curiosity. They are massive clubs and would be disruptive to the top order of the league (in time). Celtic in particular might be bettered only by Manchester United and Liverpool as far as international appeal goes if they were dining at the top table every year and with the money that brings. 

As you say it might not be the case for much longer, but Scotland are still part of the union and so it is a closer political and cultural relationship than just picking out random other nations. That you used the Dutch example though is interesting, seeing as there are allegedly plans to merge the Dutch and Belgium leagues. Like I mentioned earlier, I think people need to start getting used to these types of radical ideas and reforms as the game works through a changing landscape.

I remember the Atlantic League being proposed 20 years ago - never came off but certainly there's a lot of fairly large European clubs on high alert now to protect their interest - not just the the top 12 or so.

Uefa just want to control the countries and clubs - their grip is slipping IMO, and you could end up with serval organisations like boxing springing up.

Uefa's response is more of the same, but expanding more - taking in more insignificant former eastern block clubs. No disrespect to them, and certainly we would welcome the chance to play some club in Slovenia, Man U and Real Madrid similar don't care about them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Again, why would England want some other clubs to disrupt them and at the same time, pay those clubs for the privilege?   Why would a Club in the second to seventh tier in the pyramid want to step aside to give a club with far more money an un-earned leg up?

If I was a Rangers or Celtic fan, I could see the massive benefit of it all.  More money, more exposure.  I can't see any long-term tangible benefit for the English clubs to have two big foreign clubs parachuted in above 72 other English sides and handed £150m a year for their troubles, while simultaneously wrecking Scottish football.

They wouldn't and that's why it's unlikely to happen. Celtic & Rangers are a substantial and direct threat to this self appointed "Big Six", nevermind anybody else, so any scenario that involves the current Premier League voting them in is likely a non-starter.

That said, money talks. There's $5bn of JP Morgan's money apparently floating about. This week has shown that almost anything goes if the money is right.

Again though, I'm not stating a case for this to happen. I'm simply speculating that I would personally find their inclusion interesting. What I am saying is that folk need to prepare for the possibility of all sorts of ideas cropping up. While swiftly crushed, the ESL is only the start of widespread conversation about the way the game is and may need to change. Not every proposal or idea is going to be any good, but some of them that might sound outlandish or improbable to you and I now are going to start being tabled in serious conversations, and some of them will be forced through. 

• Like 1

I don’t think Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Premier League.

If they want to join the English Football League, they should have to work their way up the divisions, no different from, say Salford City or Forest Green

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kew Owl said:

I don’t think Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Premier League.

If they want to join the English Football League, they should have to work their way up the divisions, no different from, say Salford City or Forest Green

Agree, same as everyone else, start in non league and work their way up.

Remember those shirts players were wearing the other day saying "earn it'... The same applies to new entrants to our league, or any league.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Just Barcelona Vs Real Madrid 20 times a season.  Going to be epic.

Is it anything to do with the courts in Spain?

They might re group and go from there?

All fixtures played in Spain. Better than stoke on a rainy evening?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9492083/European-Super-League-Spanish-court-says-NO-sanctions-clubs-players-involved.htm

9 hours ago, Plonk said:

Absolutely bang on Utah. Except for the 51 percent fan ownership. Not sure about the 51per cent fan ownership. How do you see that working?

Works in Germany. Would hope that via Government led changes we could get same set up here.

9 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Is it anything to do with the courts in Spain?

They might re group and go from there?

All fixtures played in Spain. Better than stoke on a rainy evening?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9492083/European-Super-League-Spanish-court-says-NO-sanctions-clubs-players-involved.htm

Doubt it's to do with that.  This project is dead in the water with no clubs from England, France, Germany involved.

They might need to keep the thing 'alive' in order to have a chance of legal action against the clubs that have left, though.  

8 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Is that fact or assumption? Seen this over the last twenty-four hours but no one has actually stipulated which rule it is.

It's fact. They have broken every single organisation's rules.

FIFA and UEFA by trying to form their own unsanctioned league. Remember FIFA etc were kept in the dark about this and the clubs had already signed contracts.

They have broken EPL rules again by trying to change the status quo without consultation and without the required 70% approval of the league.

They have even broken ESL rules by their sudden withdrawal otherwise why all the noise from Perez about fines, contracts etc?

They've completely screwed up by attempting to screw everyone else and deserve severe punishment. Whether that will happen or not is another matter altogether. 

2 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

It's fact. They have broken every single organisation's rules.

FIFA and UEFA by trying to form their own unsanctioned league. Remember FIFA etc were kept in the dark about this and the clubs had already signed contracts.

They have broken EPL rules again by trying to change the status quo without consultation and without the required 70% approval of the league.

They have even broken ESL rules by their sudden withdrawal otherwise why all the noise from Perez about fines, contracts etc?

They've completely screwed up by attempting to screw everyone else and deserve severe punishment. Whether that will happen or not is another matter altogether. 

Thought it would be something in that area, I nominate that you are the one to hunt them down and bring them to heel.

I got the strong feeling that they really thought it was fait accompli, and they could just bulldozer their way through all the objections and everyone should just stand aside, as they had all the answers.   To be honest they did scare me for a while threatening to take away a lifetime of involvement in the beautiful game.

Arrogance personified... Gits

• Like 1