Club up for sale?

Guest Therealrealist

The tricky bit is to figure out how many separate companies are involved and who owes who what.

It seems to me that if the ground has been transferred out of the ownership of SWFC and the full purchase price has not been handed over, then the club has an asset in the debtors section of their balance sheet to the value of the outstanding portion.

I haven’t checked to see exactly how large this sum is, and I recognise that unrefunded season ticket holders will constitute a significant counteracting sum in the creditors section of the balance sheet, but  unless the full value of the ground has been paid over and disappeared in, say, running costs during the pandemic, it would be surprising if the net book value of the club were as low some here are suggesting. I can believe that £30 million might not cover it. This raises the question of whether it makes sense to sell the club separately from the company that owns the ground.

Of course there is going to be a further difference between book value and market value in the vent of relegation.

It's amazing that a thread about DC selling suggested by an unofficial source can create so many posts. 

I'm sure non of us really believe it but just live in the hope that one day the announcement will be made by the club officially. 

"Mr Chansiri has sold the club. He wishes to thank all the staff and fans for their undenying support for him during his time at SWFC. He takes no responsibility whatsoever for the lack of success he has brought to the club and wishes that the supporters were as dedicated to SWFC as he has been. "If the fans had backed all my stupid decisions then the club wouldn't be in the state it is now" he said as he drove away from Hillsborough on Forestieris old push bike. 

New owner consortium led by Jordan Rhodes, Steven Fletcher, Atdhe Nuhiu, Fernando Forestieri, Sam Hutchinson  and Keiran Westwood announced that they will resume playing for the club for free at their new home in Hillsborough Park. 

SAG announced a crowd limit of 20 for home games. So far 3 season tickets have been sold. No further sales are expected. 

Thank you Mr Chansiri. Goodbye, good riddance and no thanks for the memories. 

Ps A strong rumour is circulating that the new manager is Portuguese and is currently managing his umpteenth club in his managerial career. He will join the squad as soon as Covid regulations allow. 

Now there's a story. 

49 minutes ago, Rogers said:

If we get sold, we’ll end up homeless like Coventry were. After a few years of paying massive rent on Hillsborough. 

I'd imagine anyone wanting to buy wont purchase unless a deal with the ground is tied up. 

4 hours ago, torryowl said:

I didn't realise we had a debt...  who do we owe money too.?

We've mortgaged the ground (whether that is a club, a company, or Chansiri's debt is unknown to me). We're also overspending every season and have breached the FFFP/Profit and Sustainability limit (which was £39M over 3 years for FFFP - I don't know what it is now) and it is said that Chansiri has invested £350M - all of that is debt in some form or other that someone will, quite probably, want repaying.  The typical money lending model over the years has been for football club owners' money put into the club to be created as a debt via a director's loan note.  This was the case when Mandaric bought the club - many of the "haircuts" were extreme and some of the directors that had loan notes left with the square route of very little paid back to them, however, DA's haircut was non-existent (if rumours are to be believed) and is understood Mandaric had to repay DA in full over a certain timescale or when a certain date came around.  

We have debt.  

3 minutes ago, wmb said:

I'd imagine anyone wanting to buy wont purchase unless a deal with the ground is tied up. 

A new ground has to be on the agenda at some stage. Hillsborough is no longer fit for purpose and it would probably work out cheaper to build a new stadium than redevelop the current one?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

Mr C has been actively looking for a buyer quite a while now.

As I posted ages ago but nobody believed me so stuff you all............................and I'm taking my ball home 😛

I believed you mate 🤣 Seriously before you take your hat and ball home, do you think he is any nearer to finding a buyer?

• Haha 1

Just now, Jim said:

A new ground has to be on the agenda at some stage. Hillsborough is no longer fit for purpose and it would probably work out cheaper to build a new stadium than redevelop the current one?

Maybe. Either way if someone was to buy us I can't see the buyers signing off if there's no guaranteed home.

2 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Aren't different parts of the ground....the pitch, the floodlights, the stands etc....now all owned by different people? Or so I've heard.

Could make any sale very problematic.

If Chansiri wants any chance of getting some sort of a reasonable bid for the club it is up to him to make the purchase as easy as possible. 
If he truly wants out because it’s bleeding great amounts of money on a weekly basis then he would be a bigger fool if he made the sale difficult for any interested party.

17 minutes ago, wmb said:

Maybe. Either way if someone was to buy us I can't see the buyers signing off if there's no guaranteed home.

I agree - it's too messy. I imagine DC will package the cub and asset back together and sell. He'll cancel the lease and re-pay the debt. He'll just add this onto the valuation/price, which any purchaser would expect.

Unless any buyer thinks, we'll take the club and invest in the team, get them PL-ready and have a plan to move from Hillsborough. This would royally shaft DC as he wouldn't have another tenant. He'll know this though so wouldn't risk it - pass the liability back to any buyer is my guess.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Animis said:

I agree - it's too messy. I imagine DC will package the cub and asset back together and sell. He'll cancel the lease and re-pay the debt. He'll just add this onto the valuation/price, which any purchaser would expect.

Unless any buyer thinks, we'll take the club and invest in the team, get them PL-ready and have a plan to move from Hillsborough. This would royally shaft DC as he wouldn't have another tenant. He'll know this though so wouldn't risk it - pass the liability back to any buyer is my guess.

probably the plan since he did it, i dont think he is as naive as many think