On 15/04/2021 at 19:42, Athelwulf said:

Chansiri probably thinks:

"This lot had had no money put into it for 15 years before I came."

"I'd no choice but gamble, and but for Hooper I nearly did it."

"I made mistakes, but you've got to be in there pitching to make them."

"I've put my money where my mouth is and I ain't walking away empty-handed."

His English had improved since his last presser if that’s what he’s thinking 🤔 

17 hours ago, kobayashi said:

Walking away empty handed is what he risked when he decided to treat SWFC like a fruit-machine not a business. He’s put his money in the slot, spun the wheel and lost.

The snag is that most clubs trying to get to the PL from this division aren't run like businesses.

They're all losing money, trying to compete with the parachute clubs.

I mean, if you've no youth policy what else can you do but gamble if you want to go up quickly?

Sustainability takes years to implement, and a Wilder comes around very seldom.

12 hours ago, room0035 said:

Give it one full season with the pound land Prince in the championship and you will be about to buy 25 Sheffield United.

he has destroyed and asset stripped every club he has owed. Wait for this close season anyone with a value will be gone.

I don't really follow what goes on over there, but what I do know is that while we were ridding ourselves of our assets, United were regaining theirs back https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53256639

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

The snag is that most clubs trying to get to the PL from this division aren't run like businesses.

They're all losing money, trying to compete with the parachute clubs.

I mean, if you've no youth policy what else can you do but gamble if you want to go up quickly?

Sustainability takes years to implement, and a Wilder comes around very seldom.

Certainly operating a Championship club is challenging but most clubs owners/executives seem able to navigate it without consistently failing to comply with the competition rules; without having to invent sponsors;  without having to sell the ground and if they have, without failing to do it competently; without charging the highest prices in the league; without having a six point deduction; and ultimately without being relegated to the league below.

When he took it on he knew that is capital was at risk and in his approach he has repeatedly increased that risk. If he believes he is entitled to maintain his capital he would have been better advised to put it into a building society.

As a reward for both his approach and application,  if ever a man deserved to lose every last penny then he is it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kobayashi said:

Certainly operating a Championship club is challenging but most clubs owners/executives seem able to navigate it without consistently failing to comply with the competition rules; without having to invent sponsors;  without having to sell the ground and if they have, without failing to do it competently; without charging the highest prices in the league; without having a six point deduction; and ultimately without being relegated to the league below.

When he took it on he knew that is capital was at risk and in his approach he has repeatedly increased that risk. If he believes he is entitled to maintain his capital he would have been better advised to put it into a building society.

As a reward for both his approach and application,  if ever a man deserved to lose every last penny then he is it.

In my opinion, that's harsh.

Chansiri perhaps deserves it for his stubbornness and his arrogance, traits which I've criticized him for many times over the years, but from a financial perspective we'll have to agree to disagree.

Until his arrival, we'd had no investment for a decade and a half.

We'd no youth policy to fall back on.

Few clubs in this division, if any, were in that situation.

Each chairman builds on what was bequeathed to him, and Chansiri was bequeathed little.

Perhaps other chairmen do navigate the Championship with difficulty and manage to succeed, but I'll wager few have had to contend with what Chansiri's had to deal with.

As for raised ticket prices, fake sponsors and the rest, well that was done in an attempt to thwart P&S, to make our turnover appear bigger so he could spend more.

Ultimately, if a chairman (and also the fans, let's not forget) want quick promotion, the team is bobbar and there's no youth policy to boot, then all the chairman can do is gamble.

Edited by Athelwulf
  • Like 1