Realistic first possible signings for Div 1

5 low-ish cost ones from Scotland.

Andy Irving at Hearts - same age as Liam Shaw, central midfielder, wand of a left foot, out of contract, unlikely to sign a new deal, after a move for more money, already better than Liam Shaw IMO. Instant upgrade.

Declan Gallagher at Motherwell - 30 years old and in Scotland squad. Again out of contract and their club captain. Steady if unspectacular centre back, 6ft 6 (ideal for L1), good leader, strong in the air and certainly good enough for League 1/lower Championship.

Stephen O’Donnell at Motherwell - covers captain role when Gallagher is out of the side. 28 and in his prime, again member of the Scotland squad, again out of contract and available on a free, an upgrade on Liam Palmer and keeps him out of the Scotland team.

Ofir Marciano at Hibs - we need to sign 3 goalkeepers in the summer presuming Westwood is leaving. Out of contract, Israeli international, and one of the best keepers I’ve seen at Hibs in my lifetime. Probably the best since Andy Goram. Leaving the club and being linked with a move to England.

Thomas Robert at Airdrie - yes it’s Laurent formerly of Newcastle’s son. This is probably unlikely because Celtic and Championship clubs are looking at him but worth asking the question. He chose to sign for Airdrie in order to play football so its worth exploring if unlikely. A very talented winger like his old man and definitely going on to bigger and better things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Wasn't deemed good enough for us 2 seasons ago.

Just like Clark-Harris at Peterborough, when he was at Rotherham

Funny how players get better in time.

Probably more about our decline, but both those players would have been useful. 

I’m really hoping that Chansiri doesn’t see our pending relegation as being partly Darren Moore’s fault and going in search of yet another ‘coach’.

Purely my opinion, but I believe that Moore has the ability (if allowed) to let the majority of the current squad leave and rebuild with mainly younger, hungrier players, with the odd experienced player thrown in. He appears to have useful contacts within the game and I would hope that this would also allow us to bring in one or two decent quality, younger players on loan.

However, in reality, upon confirmation of our relegation, Chansiri will probably sack Moore and then appoint someone like Chris Coleman two days before our season kicks off, with a threadbare squad still in place! 🤦‍♂️😩

46 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

5 low-ish cost ones from Scotland.

Andy Irving at Hearts - same age as Liam Shaw, central midfielder, wand of a left foot, out of contract, unlikely to sign a new deal, after a move for more money, already better than Liam Shaw IMO. Instant upgrade.

Declan Gallagher at Motherwell - 30 years old and in Scotland squad. Again out of contract and their club captain. Steady if unspectacular centre back, 6ft 6 (ideal for L1), good leader, strong in the air and certainly good enough for League 1/lower Championship.

Stephen O’Donnell at Motherwell - covers captain role when Gallagher is out of the side. 28 and in his prime, again member of the Scotland squad, again out of contract and available on a free, an upgrade on Liam Palmer and keeps him out of the Scotland team.

Ofir Marciano at Hibs - we need to sign 3 goalkeepers in the summer presuming Westwood is leaving. Out of contract, Israeli international, and one of the best keepers I’ve seen at Hibs in my lifetime. Probably the best since Andy Goram. Leaving the club and being linked with a move to England.

Thomas Robert at Airdrie - yes it’s Laurent formerly of Newcastle’s son. This is probably unlikely because Celtic and Championship clubs are looking at him but worth asking the question. He chose to sign for Airdrie in order to play football so its worth exploring if unlikely. A very talented winger like his old man and definitely going on to bigger and better things.

I am generally against going to Scotland as it more of less never works out for us there.

But Robert, would be a very positve signing, and O'Donnell would be great at League One level. Never seen the keeper but heard good things. You seen much of Ian Harkes at Dundee ??

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Probably more about our decline, but both those players would have been useful. 

Thats it two seasons ago they wouldnt have been good enough. This season had these two played up front for us then we may have had a better chance of survival.

7 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

I’m really hoping that Chansiri doesn’t see our pending relegation as being partly Darren Moore’s fault and going in search of yet another ‘coach’.

Purely my opinion, but I believe that Moore has the ability (if allowed) to let the majority of the current squad leave and rebuild with mainly younger, hungrier players, with the odd experienced player thrown in. He appears to have useful contacts within the game and I would hope that this would also allow us to bring in one or two decent quality, younger players on loan.

However, in reality, upon confirmation of our relegation, Chansiri will probably sack Moore and then appoint someone like Chris Coleman two days before our season kicks off, with a threadbare squad still in place! 🤦‍♂️😩

You could see that happening, yeah. However, I’m still hopeful that he appointed Moore, when he did, with an eye on us spending a stint in League One. Certainly I would be comfortable with Moore at the helm, for all the reasons you suggest. Personally though, I don’t envisage a bigger clear out than the one we had last season, and I think probably one or two of the out of contract players will stay. 
That would suggest a similar amount of arrivals to last season, about 7 or 8. As long as we have a better summer window than the one we had last year, 7 or 8 should do it. It will be interesting to see how many of those will be permanent signings, given Moore’s liking for the loan market. I assume we’d need to sign a permanent left back, and at least a couple of strikers, simply because we don’t have any, then add some more attacking talent on loan. Hopefully we won’t sign any lower league journeymen on permanent deals, or otherwise, unless we are planning a longer stay than most would anticipate. There’s enough experience in the squad, bar up front, for us to concentrate our efforts on bringing in younger players who are looking to improve. Moore has proven to be good at that

• Like 1

First of all Hutch and Westy need signing up in 2 year deals to keep the vultures away. Those guys are winners and the only reason we are being relegated is because they were froze out.

Then we need to sign Nuhiu. We’ve missed him this season. I know he said he wanted to move closer to his family but he will have had plenty of time to see them as their hasn’t been a full football season.

K.Lee has played over 10 games so he has proven his fitness. And he even ran 12k in 90 minutes during one game so we know he’s still got it. Sign him up.

Connor Wickham needs to come home. I think with a full pre season we could see the best of him.

Fessi in on a 6 month loan.

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

You could see that happening, yeah. However, I’m still hopeful that he appointed Moore, when he did, with an eye on us spending a stint in League One. Certainly I would be comfortable with Moore at the helm, for all the reasons you suggest. Personally though, I don’t envisage a bigger clear out than the one we had last season, and I think probably one or two of the out of contract players will stay. 
That would suggest a similar amount of arrivals to last season, about 7 or 8. As long as we have a better summer window than the one we had last year, 7 or 8 should do it. It will be interesting to see how many of those will be permanent signings, given Moore’s liking for the loan market. I assume we’d need to sign a permanent left back, and at least a couple of strikers, simply because we don’t have any, then add some more attacking talent on loan. Hopefully we won’t sign any lower league journeymen on permanent deals, or otherwise, unless we are planning a longer stay than most would anticipate. There’s enough experience in the squad, bar up front, for us to concentrate our efforts on bringing in younger players who are looking to improve. Moore has proven to be good at that

We go down, all of the senior OOC players will go. The only one I see maybe stating is JP and even he’ll have better offers than the one he’ll get here.

As I’ve said before expecting several IC players to leave like Iorfa, Palmer and Luongo. I also think there’s a chance Paterson will go.

10 hours ago, TbagMcgraw said:

Would love us to get an experienced and reliable keeper in, and John Ruddy would be a fantastic addition.....34, out of contract at Wolves.

I agree. I wanted us to sign him last summer. Depends how eager he is to play first team football again though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I am generally against going to Scotland as it more of less never works out for us there.

But Robert, would be a very positve signing, and O'Donnell would be great at League One level. Never seen the keeper but heard good things. You seen much of Ian Harkes at Dundee ??

I’ve seen a wee bit of Harkes, he’s not as good as his old man for sure!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 83owl said:

First of all Hutch and Westy need signing up in 2 year deals to keep the vultures away. Those guys are winners and the only reason we are being relegated is because they were froze out.

Then we need to sign Nuhiu. We’ve missed him this season. I know he said he wanted to move closer to his family but he will have had plenty of time to see them as their hasn’t been a full football season.

K.Lee has played over 10 games so he has proven his fitness. And he even ran 12k in 90 minutes during one game so we know he’s still got it. Sign him up.

Connor Wickham needs to come home. I think with a full pre season we could see the best of him.

Fessi in on a 6 month loan.

As me Great Granda used to say:-

“nostalgia, it’s not what it used to be”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 0114 said:

Some striker options...

Charlie Wyke - 28 year old Sunderland striker who is out of contract in the summer. Big striker who has scored 22 in 35. However he may have better options in the Championship or possibly even staying at Sunderland. 

Dion Charles - The 25 year old Accrington striker has scored 17 in 32 but has been linked with Brentford and also Hull. 

Jerry Yates - 24 year old Blackpool striker. 16 goals in 35. Likes to play on the shoulder. Has been linked with Championship moves to clubs like Forest but suggests he’ll only cost around £2m. 

Luke Jephcott - 21 year old Plymouth striker has scored 16 in 34. We’ve been linked with him last January but rumoured to cost around £3.5m. Having a dry spell at the moment and hasn’t scored since early February. 

Joe Pigott - 27 year old Wimbledon striker whose contract ends this summer. Has scored 14 in 35. He’s a big unit and has also previously been linked with us.

Paul Mullin - 25 year old Cambridge striker who has impressively scored 26 in 39 and leads the L2 scoring charts. Unfortunately for Cambridge they only signed him on a 1 year deal so he’s free to go in the summer. Very interesting player. 

The days of “only (around) 2 million” as well gone at this club - not spend that on an entire team (sic) let alone 1 player

• Like 1

Another L1 player who is out of contract that could be of interest is Wigan’s Lee Evans.

26 year old holding midfielder, very good on the ball and has also represented Wales.

Our neighbours paid around £1m for him a couple seasons ago before going to Wigan and was a key part of that team. 

However I’ll be shocked if Ipswich aren’t in for him. Cook has signed him on 3 separate occasions for Wigan.