Realistic first possible signings for Div 1

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, Owl Be Back said:

... We'll be saying the same thing in a few months regarding the new players. The culture at S6 is to blame for the decline of standards, until that changes bringing in new players is like plastering walls while water pipes are leaking or taking out the rubbish while the house is on fire.

We’ll sign some new players and if they’re older than 30 the usual suspects will complain about their age and say they will be crocks. If they’re younger than people will say this is exciting we’re signing young hungry players. Then 10 games in to the season everyone will realise that the young hungry players can’t actually play football and are gash.

We won’t turn this around without money being spent on quality players. Which we won’t do as Chansiri is skint. So more disappointment awaits

Vadaine Oliver - came through our academy

15 goals and 5 assists for Gillingham this season.

If we need a left back then Gillingham’s left back Connor Ogilvie would also be a shout. Really positive attacking left back. Pops up with goals.

Jephcott from Plymouth may be out of our league. Dion Charles at Accrington has 17 goals and 3 assists this season. I’ve also always rated Conor Grant at Plymouth as a centre mid.

We were linked with Joe Pigott in the last window. Wouldn’t mind that either 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Vadaine Oliver - came through our academy

15 goals and 5 assists for Gillingham this season.

If we need a left back then Gillingham’s left back Connor Ogilvie would also be a shout. Really positive attacking left back. Pops up with goals.

Jephcott from Plymouth may be out of our league. Dion Charles at Accrington has 17 goals and 3 assists this season. I’ve also always rated Conor Grant at Plymouth as a centre mid.

We were linked with Joe Pigott in the last window. Wouldn’t mind that either 

Plymouth; Gillingham; Accrington - should easily secure mid- table mediocrity 😉

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Truth is out there said:

Plymouth; Gillingham; Accrington - should easily secure mid- table mediocrity 😉

Well we can either try and snag some lower league bargains looking to make a real name for themselves. Or we can do what we did the last time we got relegated and sign old has-been journeymen. Would rather find another Kieran Lee than a Gary Teale.

Fortunately I don’t think we have the wage budget to sign journeymen looking for one last big pay day anymore. 

• Like 4

I’ve said in the past that I’m not sure how the transfer rules work in league one. It seems there are many/mostly frees. That being said, if a team is relegated from the Championship and is willing to spend anything... my top target is Brandon Hanlan from Bristol City. He’s your proper striker. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We’ll sign some new players and if they’re older than 30 the usual suspects will complain about their age and say they will be crocks. If they’re younger than people will say this is exciting we’re signing young hungry players. Then 10 games in to the season everyone will realise that the young hungry players can’t actually play football and are gash.

We won’t turn this around without money being spent on quality players. Which we won’t do as Chansiri is skint. So more disappointment awaits

think you've summed the situation up pretty well there, to borrow a line from the lyrics "were on the road to nowhere"

again☹️

3 Doncaster defenders who were key under Moore are all out of contract and yet to sign new deals despite Doncaster trying to retain them.

Brad Halliday, 25 year old RB. 

Joe Wright, 26 year old CB who was the subject of Championship interest from Preston in January that never materialised. 

Reece James, 27 year old LB who can also play CM when needed. Has 7 goals to his name this season aswell.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, 0114 said:

3 Doncaster defenders who were key under Moore are all out of contract and yet to sign new deals despite Doncaster trying to retain them.

Brad Halliday, 25 year old RB. 

Joe Wright, 26 year old CB who was the subject of Championship interest from Preston in January that never materialised. 

Reece James, 27 year old LB who can also play CM when needed. Has 7 goals to his name this season aswell.

I read every reply before I posted & this was my thinking.

Common sense says he’ll go back to Donny & cherry pick their best players. 
Providing they don’t get promoted.

After that, he has good links with West Brom maybe for a couple of loan deals. 
I trust DM to build a team, if he’s backed properly. 

• Like 1

Some striker options...

Charlie Wyke - 28 year old Sunderland striker who is out of contract in the summer. Big striker who has scored 22 in 35. However he may have better options in the Championship or possibly even staying at Sunderland. 

Dion Charles - The 25 year old Accrington striker has scored 17 in 32 but has been linked with Brentford and also Hull. 

Jerry Yates - 24 year old Blackpool striker. 16 goals in 35. Likes to play on the shoulder. Has been linked with Championship moves to clubs like Forest but suggests he’ll only cost around £2m. 

Luke Jephcott - 21 year old Plymouth striker has scored 16 in 34. We’ve been linked with him last January but rumoured to cost around £3.5m. Having a dry spell at the moment and hasn’t scored since early February. 

Joe Pigott - 27 year old Wimbledon striker whose contract ends this summer. Has scored 14 in 35. He’s a big unit and has also previously been linked with us.

Paul Mullin - 25 year old Cambridge striker who has impressively scored 26 in 39 and leads the L2 scoring charts. Unfortunately for Cambridge they only signed him on a 1 year deal so he’s free to go in the summer. Very interesting player. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1