Pelupessy sacrilege

53 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Semedo was a bit more rough and a gressive than joey is. We had some proper robust, no nonsense players. Llera, reda, semado. 

Joey is generally a "bit nice" as a ball winning midfielder. He looks a proper little powerhouse and has the physique, but doesn't seem to use it as effectively as he should. 

Semedo was also a "Big character" and a team leader /motivator he could somehow push the better  players around him,something /someone we've been missing. Lees never really did and bazza seems to upset /make heads drop instead. 

It's been proven we pick up more points when Joey plays then when he doesn't. And if he is a terrible as everyone makes out then the reason must be because he is a leader/motivator and he does encourage those around him to perform better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People have rose/blue tinted glasses of Semedo.

He was magnificent in league one and every one said he could play higher up in the football league ladders but he couldn't.

Comes across as fab person as well, but he was every bit as limited as Joey. There's no reason why Pelupessy couldn't be

a success in League One....not saying I'd keep him mind.

I always think Bannan plays much better with Pelupessy in the team, it gives him confidence to be more adventurous knowing

Joey is there to do the covering whilst he runs around doing his Hollywood passing and brushes his hand 

through that Jack Charlton style hair of his.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

I think there is a big difference in the two.

Joey is quite often chasing the player, with the opposition closer to goal than him. I don't think he sees th bigger picture but is fine on a one to one basis

Semedo normally had the game in front of him so could spot potential issues and react accordingly.

Yeah, the season we let Semedo go he was shaping up to be a very good centre half

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

Which is why we are doing so badly this season, because our 'best performer's' are only capable of breaking play up and passing the ball 5 yards. 

But tbf this was what Semedo was good at and it's the roll of a CDM.

Protect the defence, and pass it on. Not saying Pelupessy is good enough for the level where we want Wednesday to be playing

but he's not a Kieran Lee box to box player, he's limited but that's fine cos the attributes suit his position.

Kante won player of the season "breaking up play" no shame in it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Semedo was a much better player than JP. He was aggressive, a leader and a motivator. When he won the ball he drove us forward and didn't always look to get rid with backwards or sideways pass like JP does.

100% this. 

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

This might be sacrilege to say but ...

Joey has been one of our better players this season. He’s got his limits, obviously, but also his strengths. If you just ask him to sit in midfield, break up play and give the ball 5 yards to Bannan he’s very effective. 

This ^^^^^. Couldn't agree any more. 

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

It's been proven we pick up more points when Joey plays then when he doesn't. And if he is a terrible as everyone makes out then the reason must be because he is a leader/motivator and he does encourage those around him to perform better.

How has it been proven that we get more points when he plays?

In the last 3 seasons with us :

18/19  26 starts - won 8

19/20  11 starts - won 1

20/21  18 starts - won 7

So he has started 55 league games of which we won 16 = 29% win rate.

in the same period Wednesday have played 129 league game, winning 41 = 32% win rate.

So when he hasn't started, 74 league games, won 25 = 34% win rate.

Not much in it but we won fewer games when JP has started then when he hasn't. 

• Like 1

As average as his performances have been throughout his Wednesday career he has improved since Pulis left .

But he's spent all his career in top flight in Holland and Championship in England,

Why would he drop into lower league football if we do go down? ...

It's fine saying he's not good enough but will wednesday be good enough for him ? ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

Joey has been one of our better players this season. He’s got his limits, obviously, but also his strengths. If you just ask him to sit in midfield, break up play and give the ball 5 yards to Bannan he’s very effective. 

So ... couldn’t you say all the same about Semedo? Isn’t Joey about equally as talented as Jose? 

Semedo was dominant in League One and that’s the first impression he made on fans who’ll always love him for it. But he did struggle when we got up to the Championship. 

If we go down I bet Joey would similarly boss League One, but because he signed at a higher level his first impression wasn’t so good. 

If fans love one why do they hate the other. 

Semedo was far more effective at his role, even in the Championship he was clearly better at the role than Joey. Jose only started to look really out of place when we became a top 6 challenging side and got far better players in the midfield. We have been a bottom half side in this division throughout Joey's time with us but he hasn't managed to make a mark until this season and only now in a team that will likely be relegated.

He wasn't particularly quick but knew exactly where he needed to be and when he got caught out of position he would make the right tactical foul. Joey has been better this season but not a patch on Semedo.

59 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

So ... couldn’t you say all the same about Semedo? Isn’t Joey about equally as talented as Jose? 

Semedo was dominant in League One and that’s the first impression he made on fans who’ll always love him for it. But he did struggle when we got up to the Championship. 

If we go down I bet Joey would similarly boss League One, but because he signed at a higher level his first impression wasn’t so good. 

Every player is different, but I agree with your comparisons and the strange lack of love from some fans for Pelupessy.

Unfortunately, social media sites like this site are polarised by the very nature of the site itself. If only replies and comments were shown, so that people can agree and say why they agree, or disagree and say why they disagree then you would get a broader spectrum of opinion, rather than the polarisation that you get when people are giving thumbs ups, likes, loves etc, which were originally intended as a positive method of feedback, but have become a virtual pat on the back, reward type thing, which human nature craves. The result is that most people tailor their responses, consciously, or subconsciously, to avoid being picked out, or to get the virtual pats on the back and this usually involves people jumping on bandwagons, like disliking the people that certain groups dislike and liking people that certain groups dislike. Adam Reach, Morgan Fox (who people only started to appreciate just before he left us), Pelupessy, Tom Lees, Barry Bannan and Keiran Lee have all had people queueing up to join the knockers, mostly unecessarly and sometimes in a way over the top way. Footballers are all human beings and judge themselves and their teammates even more harshly than we do when things go wrong, but thankfully they all recognise the talents, efforts and dogged determination that their teammates usually put in and Joey Pelupessy is definitely a team player. Like Kieran Lee, Bannan, Lees and Reach, Pelupessy is very much a players player, he knows his strengths and weaknesses, never worrying about doing all the hard work and other unfashionable things that go unnoticed by many, happily putting others in the spotlight and letting them grab the headlines while they just get on with the game. I think that, along with Bannan, Lees and Reach, Pelupessy, has played a huge part in us turning the corner in terms of gaining points in the last couple of games by getting on with his game for the good of the team, rather than for a pat on the back. Hopefully these kinds of players keep away from social media sites altogether, because as good as it is to be able to air and share your opinions on here, social media does not represent the heart felt views of the vast majority, it just supports little sections of people in their own little self congratulatory fake worlds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

I don't hate Joey and he does get a lot of stick. Burt honestly, he isn't that good. He won't be that good in League One either due to his position. He won't stand out as one of the better League One midfielders. We need better. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

I think there is a big difference in the two.

Joey is quite often chasing the player, with the opposition closer to goal than him. I don't think he sees th bigger picture but is fine on a one to one basis

Semedo normally had the game in front of him so could spot potential issues and react accordingly.

Is this because Semedo had a better team around him though, and at his best for us was playing in league one?

I completely agree with the Semedo comparison.

Someone else here has said that Semedo was more of a leader but I absolutely see Joey as a leader also. 

Joey came into failing ‘’team’’ that’s gotten worse and people relate him to failure. Semedo came into a team that was rebuilt and became successful.

I think Joey has had a decent season but I absolutely agree that he’s probably not good enough as a DM to be a starter at this level. I accept him as a squad player and he’s filled in well. He’s filled in well cos he keeps himself extremely fit and match ready. *Touch wood* but you never hear of him getting injured. 

I think he’s someone worth keeping if we go down. I think he’ll be a good DM in league one and just as good as Semedo was. 

Unfortunately I think his dye is cast with a section of our fans and he’ll always be a scapegoat if we lose a game. I hope our fans can critique him objectively though and give him a chance in a, hopefully, much different team. Lewis Buxton was once a popular boo boy so it can happen

• Like 6

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

I'm not saying he's not contributing. 

Just that Jose Was a bit different as a player /more of a leader /captain. 

Though on proven we pick up more points when he plays.. It can be squewed, by ammounts of games played etc. Thompson had a better win ratio than a lot of our previous managers, but didn't manage nearly as many games. 

Is the picking up points just  when he starts or coming off the bench?? 

My memory of Semedo was terrific in League One but poor in the Championship. IMO JP, at the back end of last season and this one, looks more comfortable than Jose did at this level.

I'd certainly be offering him an extension. You don't want a team full of his type but IMO you do need at least a couple in the squad to do that specific job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluewings said:

People have rose/blue tinted glasses of Semedo.

He was magnificent in league one and every one said he could play higher up in the football league ladders but he couldn't.

Comes across as fab person as well, but he was every bit as limited as Joey. There's no reason why Pelupessy couldn't be

a success in League One....not saying I'd keep him mind.

I always think Bannan plays much better with Pelupessy in the team, it gives him confidence to be more adventurous knowing

Joey is there to do the covering whilst he runs around doing his Hollywood passing and brushes his hand 

through that Jack Charlton style hair of his.

bang on and I like Semedos' energy to the cause at the time

• Like 1