Pelupessy sacrilege

Semedo was a bit more rough and a gressive than joey is. We had some proper robust, no nonsense players. Llera, reda, semado. 

Joey is generally a "bit nice" as a ball winning midfielder. He looks a proper little powerhouse and has the physique, but doesn't seem to use it as effectively as he should. 

Semedo was also a "Big character" and a team leader /motivator he could somehow push the better  players around him,something /someone we've been missing. Lees never really did and bazza seems to upset /make heads drop instead. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I think there is a big difference in the two.

Joey is quite often chasing the player, with the opposition closer to goal than him. I don't think he sees th bigger picture but is fine on a one to one basis

Semedo normally had the game in front of him so could spot potential issues and react accordingly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I see what you are saying. Semedo did have limitations which were highlighted in the championship especially in a midfield 2.

However i think that Semedo was a much better defensive midfielder. He read the game better and didn't chase players around the pitch. He seemed to sense danger much better.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Joey is easy good enough for league one, so I'd offer him a contract extension on the assumption that he's not paid a lot more than what we would imagine 

I think he'll find it tough in League 1. He won't get time to settle on the ball and there are some strong midfielders there.

I just don't think he is suited to the English game. We should have let him go last Summer and replaced him with better, which wouldn't have been difficult.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

This might be sacrilege to say but ...

Joey has been one of our better players this season. He’s got his limits, obviously, but also his strengths. If you just ask him to sit in midfield, break up play and give the ball 5 yards to Bannan he’s very effective. 

So ... couldn’t you say all the same about Semedo? Isn’t Joey about equally as talented as Jose? 

Semedo was dominant in League One and that’s the first impression he made on fans who’ll always love him for it. But he did struggle when we got up to the Championship. 

If we go down I bet Joey would similarly boss League One, but because he signed at a higher level his first impression wasn’t so good. 

If fans love one why do they hate the other. 

I don’t think its sacrilege to say Joey has improved. But the statement that we should love Joey because he’ll be as good as Semedo was in L1 is obviously unproven. Joey might be great in L1 and if he stays and if he is great then fans will love him I’m sure. 2 things that haven’t happened yet though so let’s wait and see. Would sign him if he’d stay but I’d bet his improvement will get him a job elsewhere in the Championship, maybe a newly promoted side.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I think he'll find it tough in League 1. He won't get time to settle on the ball and there are some strong midfielders there.

I just don't think he is suited to the English game. We should have let him go last Summer and replaced him with better, which wouldn't have been difficult.

He's not gonna find it more difficult than the championship. He will be fine in league one. We will have more pressing concerns than holding midfielders.

7 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He's not gonna find it more difficult than the championship. He will be fine in league one. We will have more pressing concerns than holding midfielders.

My point is League 1 is rougher and tougher than the Championship. I've seen many League 1 games and there are far better midfielders than JP playing there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

My point is League 1 is rougher and tougher than the Championship. I've seen many League 1 games and there are far better midfielders than JP playing there. 

There probably are but I think at worst he will be an average league one midfielder. I would give him that chance because he is cheap and has a good fitness record. Other signings can make a greater impact I'd say. 

It's fair to say as the quality drained out of our team, he's looked more capable. He is a limited player, but effort and attitude spot on. I'm not saying those attributes alone should be rewarded, but some of our other supposed quality players should take note. 

Deserves his place at the moment.

• Like 3