Pelupessy sacrilege

2 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

Is this because Semedo had a better team around him though, and at his best for us was playing in league one?

I completely agree with the Semedo comparison.

Someone else here has said that Semedo was more of a leader but I absolutely see Joey as a leader also. 

Joey came into failing ‘’team’’ that’s gotten worse and people relate him to failure. Semedo came into a team that was rebuilt and became successful.

I think Joey has had a decent season but I absolutely agree that he’s probably not good enough as a DM to be a starter at this level. I accept him as a squad player and he’s filled in well. He’s filled in well cos he keeps himself extremely fit and match ready. *Touch wood* but you never hear of him getting injured. 

I think he’s someone worth keeping if we go down. I think he’ll be a good DM in league one and just as good as Semedo was. 

Unfortunately I think his dye is cast with a section of our fans and he’ll always be a scapegoat if we lose a game. I hope our fans can critique him objectively though and give him a chance in a, hopefully, much different team. Lewis Buxton was once a popular boo boy so it can happen

Loved Buxton too. He was our last really good all round right back, in my opinion and another great servant for the club.

Unfortunately certain players catch the eye more than others, usually because they make loads of mistakes, but manage to just make up for them in time. The ones that the team or another player suffers for get forgotten, but didn't they do well with the others! In all walks of life some people go about their jobs effortlessly doing the right things way more often than not and they make the job look easy. The people that stick out, unfortunately, are often the ones that make up for their mistakes in last minute, dramatic fashion and you remember the recovery and not the mistake.

Ah well. Most players have got good and bad qualities, but as long as somebody can spot the qualities our team and squad needs and then be allowed to bring in the correct players to fulfill those needs, we can get a competitive team together again and hopefully see some entertaining football and results again. Up to now though even the positions that we have empty within our squad have gone from bad, to worse, to nobody, never mind the personalities, the skills, attitudes, fitness, stamina etc that are required to have a team that can compete in whatever division we end up in. It seems to me though, that Chansiri has been getting us ready to play in league 1 over the last four or five seasons!

40 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Do we want or need a midfielder to play a solely defensive role? Limited to putting the occasional tackle in our half and as soon as he gets the ball passing it sideways and backwards a few yards. Unable to go past players or make that defence splitting pass and rarely get in the oppositions half.

IMO all our midfielders whether it's a 3 or 4, should be capable of going forward and supporting our attack as well as doing defensive duties.

Having players with limited abilities is the reason we're in this mess.

"Do we want or need a midfielder to play a solely defensive role?" Some teams set up like this tbh, also its a weird thing to say, its the same category 

as saying "a striker who only scores and does nothing else" who cares he's there to score, it's the same reason Rhodes has hardly played.

Ideally I'd have three players who could do more as midfielders but when our defence is a shiybo as it is needs more protection obviously a CDM is needed.

Also just going to point out, Luongo aside I think all our team has limited abilities. Lees can't pass, Harris can't cross, Bannan can't tackle.....

I sound like I'm Pelupessys dad here, I literally don't care if he stays or goes. He's done well this season and can show he can easily be

as good as Semedo who was as limited as Pelupessy.

3 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

Is this because Semedo had a better team around him though, and at his best for us was playing in league one?

I completely agree with the Semedo comparison.

Someone else here has said that Semedo was more of a leader but I absolutely see Joey as a leader also. 

Joey came into failing ‘’team’’ that’s gotten worse and people relate him to failure. Semedo came into a team that was rebuilt and became successful.

I think Joey has had a decent season but I absolutely agree that he’s probably not good enough as a DM to be a starter at this level. I accept him as a squad player and he’s filled in well. He’s filled in well cos he keeps himself extremely fit and match ready. *Touch wood* but you never hear of him getting injured. 

I think he’s someone worth keeping if we go down. I think he’ll be a good DM in league one and just as good as Semedo was. 

Unfortunately I think his dye is cast with a section of our fans and he’ll always be a scapegoat if we lose a game. I hope our fans can critique him objectively though and give him a chance in a, hopefully, much different team. Lewis Buxton was once a popular boo boy so it can happen

There's no way Pelupessy is a leader in the same context as Semedo. Even when not playing Semedo had an influence on the dressing room and regardless of whether we were struggling like in the seasons after promotion or going for top 6 like in his last couple of seasons at the club, he was spoken of as a positive character who kept his standards up and impacted on the approach and attitude of his team mates. 

Pelupessy may be a positive character, he certainly seems like someone who will never give less than 100% but there is little evidence that he is able to exert the same kind of influence or authority. I can't imagine too many team mates telling Semedo to 'shut his f**king mouth' for asking for a pass, even in the heat of the moment.

I think keeping him for League One would be a reasonable move, we have got a lot of rebuilding to do and he has had a decent season in comparison to many of the squad but I won't be expecting him to boss the division or lead the team in a similar manner to what Jose did and I think anyone who expects that will end up disappointed.  

Pelupessy is a League One standard player and, in all probability, we will be in League One next season, so why he gets so much stick from supporters is difficult to fathom.

He seems to like being here and, if he wants to stay, I think we should offer him at the very least a 12 month deal

3 hours ago, dani_armo said:

he pissed it in the championship 

He didn't at all.

He was lacking serious pace, once a half decent team came up against him they used to dance around him

till he was chasing shadows.

The last two seasons he played for us he got 20 appearances, 10 in each one, as soon as we could replace him he did.

Like I put in a previous post he was magnificent in league one, a leader, winner and a rock in midfield part of

one of my favourite Wednesday sides but the championship was a step to high for him.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

He didn't at all.

He was lacking serious pace, once a half decent team came up against him they used to dance around him

till he was chasing shadows.

The last two seasons he played for us he got 20 appearances, 10 in each one, as soon as we could replace him he did.

Like I put in a previous post he was magnificent in league one, a leader, winner and a rock in midfield part of

one of my favourite Wednesday sides but the championship was a step to high for him

Spot on. 

• Thanks 1

For me it would come down to wages, could we get younger better for less? I'd hope we could but have no idea what he earns. 

Can't say I've enjoyed watching him ever, think he lacks at Championship level and never seen better than a 6/10 performance until maybe recently.

7 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

I imagine Joey is fairly cheap. He keeps himself fit. He’s a very positive kind of guy. And he’s not a BAD player, and certainly won’t be in league one. He actually typically has all the makings of a fan favourite but it just isn’t fashionable to like him or appreciate what he does.

I also don’t particularly know what people want or expect? Some comments have said he isn’t aggressive enough...but then Sam Hutchinson gets some absolute pelters and called stupid?

We’re also a team languishing in the bottom of the league and destined for the drop. If we go down we’re gonna be really stuck for ££ with almost a whole squad to source it seems.  I don’t wanna be spending any money or using any loan space to fund a new CDM. That would be stupid. We need to tie Joey down to another year & head into the season with him and Luongo available for that position. Luongo has to prove his fitness so it’s Joey’s position to lose. We will not be able to sign better CDM’s with the financial state we’re in. The priorities should  be elsewhere. 

If we go back 6 years to a conversation we had when Bannan joined, FO.....when I was right in my assumption due to his goal scoring record that he was a defensive midfielder 🙂

If we recruit correctly (yeah, I know) and bring in the 3 decent midfielders we're going to need, then Bannan could and should imo play CDM, when he plays we effectively end up with 2 CDM's which will be a waste in L1, he should just sit in and spray the ball around to our fast and athletic new midfield and attack.

5 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Do we want or need a midfielder to play a solely defensive role? Limited to putting the occasional tackle in our half and as soon as he gets the ball passing it sideways and backwards a few yards. Unable to go past players or make that defence splitting pass and rarely get in the oppositions half.

IMO all our midfielders whether it's a 3 or 4, should be capable of going forward and supporting our attack as well as doing defensive duties.

Having players with limited abilities is the reason we're in this mess.

Couldn't agree more... the idea that any team can afford to carry a central midfielder that isn't comfortable on the ball and pass the f.kin thing more than 5 yards or backwards, whichever is the easiest, is ludicrous.

Said it before, him standing no more than 10m from BB for most of the game, to whom he almost invariably plays the ball is like having a 1 man midfield.

• Like 1