Pelupessy sacrilege

7 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Is this because Semedo had a better team around him though, and at his best for us was playing in league one?

I completely agree with the Semedo comparison.

Someone else here has said that Semedo was more of a leader but I absolutely see Joey as a leader also. 

Joey came into failing ‘’team’’ that’s gotten worse and people relate him to failure. Semedo came into a team that was rebuilt and became successful.

I think Joey has had a decent season but I absolutely agree that he’s probably not good enough as a DM to be a starter at this level. I accept him as a squad player and he’s filled in well. He’s filled in well cos he keeps himself extremely fit and match ready. *Touch wood* but you never hear of him getting injured. 

I think he’s someone worth keeping if we go down. I think he’ll be a good DM in league one and just as good as Semedo was. 

Unfortunately I think his dye is cast with a section of our fans and he’ll always be a scapegoat if we lose a game. I hope our fans can critique him objectively though and give him a chance in a, hopefully, much different team. Lewis Buxton was once a popular boo boy so it can happen

Unfortunately true.

I imagine Joey is fairly cheap. He keeps himself fit. He’s a very positive kind of guy. And he’s not a BAD player, and certainly won’t be in league one. He actually typically has all the makings of a fan favourite but it just isn’t fashionable to like him or appreciate what he does.

I also don’t particularly know what people want or expect? Some comments have said he isn’t aggressive enough...but then Sam Hutchinson gets some absolute pelters and called stupid?

We’re also a team languishing in the bottom of the league and destined for the drop. If we go down we’re gonna be really stuck for ££ with almost a whole squad to source it seems.  I don’t wanna be spending any money or using any loan space to fund a new CDM. That would be stupid. We need to tie Joey down to another year & head into the season with him and Luongo available for that position. Luongo has to prove his fitness so it’s Joey’s position to lose. We will not be able to sign better CDM’s with the financial state we’re in. The priorities should  be elsewhere. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

This might be sacrilege to say but ...

Joey has been one of our better players this season. He’s got his limits, obviously, but also his strengths. If you just ask him to sit in midfield, break up play and give the ball 5 yards to Bannan he’s very effective. 

So ... couldn’t you say all the same about Semedo? Isn’t Joey about equally as talented as Jose? 

Semedo was dominant in League One and that’s the first impression he made on fans who’ll always love him for it. But he did struggle when we got up to the Championship. 

If we go down I bet Joey would similarly boss League One, but because he signed at a higher level his first impression wasn’t so good. 

If fans love one why do they hate the other. 

When he first arrived,a lot of fans were saying he would be the future captain .

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

How has it been proven that we get more points when he plays?

In the last 3 seasons with us :

18/19  26 starts - won 8

19/20  11 starts - won 1

20/21  18 starts - won 7

So he has started 55 league games of which we won 16 = 29% win rate.

in the same period Wednesday have played 129 league game, winning 41 = 32% win rate.

So when he hasn't started, 74 league games, won 25 = 34% win rate.

Not much in it but we won fewer games when JP has started then when he hasn't. 

Should have been this season. my bad.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'm not saying he's not contributing. 

Just that Jose Was a bit different as a player /more of a leader /captain. 

Though on proven we pick up more points when he plays.. It can be squewed, by ammounts of games played etc. Thompson had a better win ratio than a lot of our previous managers, but didn't manage nearly as many games. 

Is the picking up points just  when he starts or coming off the bench?? 

Dunno i think it was StudentOwl that come up with the stat. That we have something like double the points this season when he plays then when he does not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigumakku said:

But he's spent all his career in top flight in Holland and Championship in England,

Why would he drop into lower league football if we do go down? ...

I can't see another Championship club taking him.

I think he would be happy to stay with us rather than go back to Holland. He would still earn more even on a reduced League 1 contract than he would at a mid/low table Eredivisie team.

46 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Dunno i think it was StudentOwl that come up with the stat. That we have something like double the points this season when he plays then when he does not.

Yeah I think I remember him mentioning it, though I'm not one for believing stats too much being in and from an engineering background football has too many variables and uncontrollable conditions for some stats to be gospel. 

It's like comparing laws win percentages against Carlos. Laws was scratching around for off casts trying to avoid relagation and in Carlos time we were spaffing £30 million chasing top 6.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bluewings said:

But tbf this was what Semedo was good at and it's the roll of a CDM.

Protect the defence, and pass it on. Not saying Pelupessy is good enough for the level where we want Wednesday to be playing

but he's not a Kieran Lee box to box player, he's limited but that's fine cos the attributes suit his position.

Kante won player of the season "breaking up play" no shame in it.

Kante is quick and powerful and has a great weight if not particularly great range of passing. He reads the game well. After breaking up play, he can carry the ball at pace and change defence into attack. Joey has none of these attributes. He tries his best and that’s all you can say about him. That should be the minimum requirement of any professional sportsman. 
JPs contract is up. Let it expire. Wish him well and thank him for his considerable efforts and recruit a replacement who tries his best, and can play too eg Liam Kelly at Oxford

Edited by Lawrie’s Left Peg
Put Walsh instead of Kelly
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Kante is quick and powerful and has a great weight if not particularly great range of passing. He reads the game well. After breaking up play, he can carry the ball at pace and change defence into attack. Joey has none of these attributes. He tries his best and that’s all you can say about him. That should be the minimum requirement of any professional sportsman. 
JPs contract is up. Let it expire. Wish him well and thank him for his considerable efforts and recruit a replacement who tries his best, and can play too eg Liam Kelly at Oxford

Aye there's no way I put in my post that Pelupessy is a premium player like Kante, or any of his attributes was anywhere near that of Kante's.

His main attribute is break up play and pass it on, obviously to bannan playing alongside him  is the man to bring it forward and turn it into attack.

Kante can drive forward, cool. But he's there to break it up first and formost.

People expect too much of a lower league CDM. He's decent and consistent at what he does and IMO he's as good as

Semedo at this level, so why not in the one below.

Luongo and Kieran Lee are more energetic box to box players much cleverer and I think people expect the same from Joey and are quick

to judge him, he has a totally different role to play.

I already said I'd probably get rid as well yno, we need freshening up but replacing so many players like we need to isn't going to happen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

This might be sacrilege to say but ...

Joey has been one of our better players this season. He’s got his limits, obviously, but also his strengths. If you just ask him to sit in midfield, break up play and give the ball 5 yards to Bannan he’s very effective. 

So ... couldn’t you say all the same about Semedo? Isn’t Joey about equally as talented as Jose? 

Semedo was dominant in League One and that’s the first impression he made on fans who’ll always love him for it. But he did struggle when we got up to the Championship. 

If we go down I bet Joey would similarly boss League One, but because he signed at a higher level his first impression wasn’t so good. 

If fans love one why do they hate the other. 

On the point about playing and standing out more in league 1, I would say that quite a few of our players should look a lot better in league 1 and I cannot see why Pelupessy would be any different. My son and I love the way that he can close a player out of a game almost completely and give them so little time on the ball by closing them down and tackling them a little too heavily at times, but mainly hard and fair. He also takes the stick that he gets back and I had us both laughing when on a couple of occasions, the player he has marked out of the game has ended up getting booked, sometimes with Pelupessy not getting a card, like in a game against Derby when Pelupessy shut Vydra out of the game, keeping so close to him that in the end he won a free kick and Vydra went into the book out of sheer frustration. We won 2-0 I seem to recall with at least one goal from Joao.

Semedo endeared himself to us so much, because he was the kind of player that we had been missing and he was head hunted by Megson in a season we won promotion over the pigs and thanks to the kind of fight back that we really need right now. Semedo always gave it his all, but he was rarely the star of the show and I think our love for him was as much about his infectious personality and his love for the club towards the end, which meant that he was kept on for a while after his overall effectiveness in the Championship had dropped off. He was a brilliant player for us at the time and a key player in league 1, but he slowed down a little as he got into his thirties and with a young Hutchinson coming in his game time was greatly reduced.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Pelupessy's job is to run up to an advancing opposition player and just toe poke the ball away from them

He does it immaculately every time

But that's his job, because it's all he can be trusted to do. 

Just look at the back pass to Westwood a few games ago and the shot on an open goal that went out for a throw in to see how square his feet are!

lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

pelepussy has never been, and never will be anywhere near as good as semedo

semedo was better at everything in that role, could play centre back and was a proper leader who we have never replaced

he pissed it in the championship once Dave Jones left and took all his crap with him such as McPhail who couldnt take corners 'to save his legs' getting back!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

People expect too much of a lower league CDM. He's decent and consistent at what he does and IMO he's as good as

Semedo at this level, so why not in the one below.

Luongo and Kieran Lee are more energetic box to box players much cleverer and I think people expect the same from Joey and are quick

to judge him, he has a totally different role to play.

Do we want or need a midfielder to play a solely defensive role? Limited to putting the occasional tackle in our half and as soon as he gets the ball passing it sideways and backwards a few yards. Unable to go past players or make that defence splitting pass and rarely get in the oppositions half.

IMO all our midfielders whether it's a 3 or 4, should be capable of going forward and supporting our attack as well as doing defensive duties.

Having players with limited abilities is the reason we're in this mess.