Jordan Rhodes

Did well against huddersfield, possibly our best player and should not have been subbed, starting to turn the corner, its only taken about 3yrs and god knows how many millions, dont know how hes managed to get away with it, not the only one to fleece the club though.

11 hours ago, Holmowl said:

It makes zero sense to talk of 17 goals in 102 matches.

You have to look at game time.

I’d be interested to know which of our recent strikers you think we’re not ‘atrocious  and unproductive’. I think you’d be surprised how close Rhodes’ productivity was to theirs.

Disagree strongly on the first sentence:  Rhodes has had ample game time and opportunities in his tenure at Wednesday.  He's accompished nothing, and anyone trying to put lipstick on that absolute, whopper, fattened up for the holidays of a pig of a signing and transfer fee really does have the rose coloured glasses on, in my opinion.  I absolutely take issue with any take that he's somehow been unfairly treated or hasn't had his chances.  We're closing in on five years of Rhodes, and he has not met any expectation.

Even looking at game time, Rhodes' 17 goals in 4920 is dire.  289 per goal. 

Compare that to his time at Huddersfield (126 per goal) or Blackburn (167).

Or with that of Lucas Joao (29 goals in 127 games, 226 per goal at Wednesday, or 146 per goal with Reading this year), Fletcher (38 goals, 136 games, 223), or Hooper (31 goals, 89 games, 203) during their time at Wednesday.

Even Paterson, for all the grief he gets, is sitting at 340 per goal with a fair few of those minutes spent in midfield instead of up top.  And along the same lines, even Atdhe Nuhiu, whom I'm absolutely certain that none would ever use the phrase "clinical striker" about, is sitting at 276 minutes per goal in service for Wednesday.  And that's truly impressive because of the sheer volume of time that he spent out on the pitch during garbage time to try to close out a game, waste time, and pin the ball at the corner.

When Atdhe Nuhiu is scoring with more regularity than our record transfer, "scores-for-fun-at-this-level" striker (according to the fan club), I can't accept any argument that suggests he hasn't performed because he's not spending time on the pitch or not getting games.

As for the last line, we've already been down that road and I concur with you and your assessment.  By all means Rhodes should be playing in every match we have while he's under contract, and we should wring the last bit of football out of him before he is gone in the summer.  I want Paterson in press and hold up play and Rhodes there to snatch up the ball.   

• Like 3

12 hours ago, should know better said:

Lucas Joao the same, something wrong with him as every manager left him out.

Joao actually played quite a bit.  40 appearances in 2015, and then just about 30 league appearances a season, ~65% of matches when not on loan.

... but are you surprised that a young twenty-something Lucas Joao might not be a nailed on starter when the likes of Forestieri, Hooper, Fletcher, and our £10m man Jordan Rhodes were also in the squad?

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

I understand the distinction in your argument, and have stated many times that it has some merit.

There are others though who don't differentiate in the same way and one in particular that gets very gladiatorial about it. 

Can’t be Russell Crowe. He supports Dirty Leeds. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest T Hardy

Well I for one hope Rhodes scores 8 goals in every game between now and the end of the season, we’ll stay up if so. I’ll be more than happy to talk about how great the service was that he got in those games 

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

Disagree strongly on the first sentence:  Rhodes has had ample game time and opportunities in his tenure at Wednesday.  He's accompished nothing, and anyone trying to put lipstick on that absolute, whopper, fattened up for the holidays of a pig of a signing and transfer fee really does have the rose coloured glasses on, in my opinion.  I absolutely take issue with any take that he's somehow been unfairly treated or hasn't had his chances.  We're closing in on five years of Rhodes, and he has not met any expectation.

Even looking at game time, Rhodes' 17 goals in 4920 is dire.  289 per goal. 

Compare that to his time at Huddersfield (126 per goal) or Blackburn (167).

Or with that of Lucas Joao (29 goals in 127 games, 226 per goal at Wednesday, or 146 per goal with Reading this year), Fletcher (38 goals, 136 games, 223), or Hooper (31 goals, 89 games, 203) during their time at Wednesday.

Even Paterson, for all the grief he gets, is sitting at 340 per goal with a fair few of those minutes spent in midfield instead of up top.  And along the same lines, even Atdhe Nuhiu, whom I'm absolutely certain that none would ever use the phrase "clinical striker" about, is sitting at 276 minutes per goal in service for Wednesday.  And that's truly impressive because of the sheer volume of time that he spent out on the pitch during garbage time to try to close out a game, waste time, and pin the ball at the corner.

When Atdhe Nuhiu is scoring with more regularity than our record transfer, "scores-for-fun-at-this-level" striker (according to the fan club), I can't accept any argument that suggests he hasn't performed because he's not spending time on the pitch or not getting games.

As for the last line, we've already been down that road and I concur with you and your assessment.  By all means Rhodes should be playing in every match we have while he's under contract, and we should wring the last bit of football out of him before he is gone in the summer.  I want Paterson in press and hold up play and Rhodes there to snatch up the ball.   

I’m no Rhodes apologist and think he’s been a bad signing overall. But his minutes per goal this season is lower than that isn’t it.. I’m sure Holmowl has put it up quite a few times compared to the others.

Paterson has played 90% of the time up front.. can’t recall too many games where he’s played midfield. Nuhui used to take pens for us too for a time so that boosts his stats. 

Even if we forget stats and just use our eyes, we’ve been much better with Rhodes on the pitch this season. Most of the wins have seen him involved, then he inexplicably gets dropped the game after. It’s pretty clear to me that if he played most of the minutes we’d do better.. instead he either doesn’t play, gets 15 mins when the game is gone, or gets pulled after about an hour and we then look even more toothless than we did before 

On 15/03/2021 at 15:08, 0742 said:

I agree he's been our best option this season, yet still the manages haven't used him. Do you really think he would have kept up with scoring 4 goals every 6 starts though?

On 15/03/2021 at 15:23, Emilianenko said:

Yes 

I really feel for him I honestly believed he was going to be a prolific goal scorer for us and still believe he would have been if it wasn't for the absolute dross for managers or the fact we haven't utilized his strengths  and it's just typical he's out of contract at the end of the season and will no doubt move on unreal you couldn't make this garbage up! 

Jordan it's been a pleasure to see you play in a Wednesday shirt whatever happens at the end of the season thanks for everything.

• Haha 5

Who shot him?

I just posted in another thread, you can predict how this all ends.

We finally play to his strengths, he finishes our top scorer, too late for us to save ourselves, he joins a mid table Champ club.......end of a tragic episode. 

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

He seems like a nice bloke Jordan Rhodes, is it a coincidence that he has found some aggression, fire and robustness to his game as his contract expires?

Ignore the service debate, look at him. The last month or so, or even majority of this season he has seemed fitter, stronger and a different player to the one we had previously seen, he was so so slow and weak for most of his time with us. He has 100% looked stronger this season.

Jordan must be the most loved failure of a player in our history. 

If his goals keep us up would be a nice end to the story.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Frank_Lucas said:

I really feel for him I honestly believed he was going to be a prolific goal scorer for us and still believe he would have been if it wasn't for the absolute dross for managers or the fact we haven't utilized his strengths  and it's just typical he's out of contract at the end of the season and will no doubt move on unreal you couldn't make this garbage up! 

Jordan it's been a pleasure to see you play in a Wednesday shirt whatever happens at the end of the season thanks for everything.

What exactly would we be thanking him for? Arguably pound for pound one of the worst signings in our clubs history?

You have to ask yourself why managers didn’t play him on a regular basis?

Nothing against Jordan, who comes across as a decent bloke. I think he had peaked prior to us signing him. 
I really hope he now scores a few more goals this season and helps keep us up. I will wish him well when he leaves, but to say it has been a pleasure seeing him play for Wednesday is a staggering statement to make.

• Like 2

Guest T Hardy
4 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

He seems like a nice bloke Jordan Rhodes, is it a coincidence that he has found some aggression, fire and robustness to his game as his contract expires?

Ignore the service debate, look at him. The last month or so, or even majority of this season he has seemed fitter, stronger and a different player to the one we had previously seen, he was so so slow and weak for most of his time with us. He has 100% looked stronger this season.

Jordan must be the most loved failure of a player in our history. 

If his goals keep us up would be a nice end to the story.

Totally agree. I’m not sure how great it looks on him that he seems to care more as his contract is coming to an end, but who cares if it keeps us up. 

Yep, he is the most loved failure for sure - I put this down to our fans fantasising for years that he’d sign for us, not wanting to admit that it just hasn’t worked for him here and not wanting to just say the fantasy wasn’t meant to be in the end.

Agree if he can keep us up now, that would be a good end. 

Guest T Hardy
Just now, WAWAWUTO17 said:

I've noticed recently that Rhodes is starting to chase lost balls and seems a lot fitter. If we had this previously maybe we would have had the striker we always wanted. Coincidence he's out of contract?

I suspect this too.. He definitely looks thinner in the face