Jordan Rhodes

3 hours ago, shandypants said:

No. I was referring to his entire career with us - it has been dismal. 

Why? Who is arguing it hasn’t been?

What relevance has how bad he was in 16/17 and 17/18? It’s all about whether he should have been our main striker in 20/21, rather than sit our only goal-scorer in the stands.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Funnily enough, I was watching that just two nights ago.

I'm sure there's an episode where Baldrick has a cunning plan which involves starting Rhodes in every game.

:duntmatter:

Fabulous episode.But I wonder if you’ve also been watching Dr Who, because I think you are in 2017.

You ask who would start Rhodes every game. Me!

Back in 2017 when our choices were Hooper, Fletcher, Joao, Forestieri and Nuhiu, nobody in their right mind ( yes me included), thought Rhodes should start many games, let alone every game.

But now it’s Windass, Paterson, Marriott and Kachunga, no, I can not think of one single opponent this season where I would have Rhodes sat in the stands while we start with 2 of this sorry crew.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

What relevance has how bad he was in 16/17 and 17/18? It’s all about whether he should have been our main striker in 20/21, rather than sit our only goal-scorer in the stands.

You need to read back through the thread. You picked up on a reply I made to another post regarding Rhodes’ full career with us - go back, take a look and you’ll see. You’ll also see that I’ve acknowledged and am happy for Rhodes to be first choice striker this season and my thoughts on this fact that he’s come good is that it’s about bloody time. 

Rhodes has proved the saying “one swallow does not make a summer” time and again. This time, he’s not only scored but he’s brought a bit more hold up play and physicality to his game which I’m glad about; but that begs the question “where was this before?” because it’s long overdue.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Fabulous episode.But I wonder if you’ve also been watching Dr Who, because I think you are in 2017.

You ask who would start Rhodes every game. Me!

Back in 2017 when our choices were Hooper, Fletcher, Joao, Forestieri and Nuhiu, nobody in their right mind ( yes me included), thought Rhodes should start many games, let alone every game.

But now it’s Windass, Paterson, Marriott and Kachunga, no, I can not think of one single opponent this season where I would have Rhodes sat in the stands while we start with 2 of this sorry crew.

Well, there are the seven victories we've achieved where Rhodes didn't make the starting eleven, I suppose.

I've tried to explain this to you several times before, but there are so many variables in a game of football that to pin success on one player, particularly one who can be as peripheral as Rhodes at times, is laughable.

Take a game like Bournemouth away, for example - we started with Paterson and Kachunga, who both played well, closing down the Bournemouth backline and cutting off their routes out of defence. We then swapped Paterson for Rhodes on 55 minutes with the score at 1-0 to us, conceded ten minutes later, then scored the winner in injury time when Rhodes got on the end of a great cross from Harris.

You could look at that and say Rhodes scored, so he should have started, but that would be massively over-simplistic. Paterson and Kachunga were central to a lot of our good play during the first 55 minutes, during which we led 1-0. Without their input, that first half or so could have turned out very differently. On that occasion, using Rhodes from the bench worked brilliantly - we got the best out of him and the other forwards at our disposal.

That's just one snapshot of how other players have a contribution to make in certain games, and the idea that we must play Rhodes at every opportunity and regardless of the game at hand is ridiculous.

He's a useful option. Managers are using him. Admittedly not in the way that you want, but as they see best.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Well, there are the seven victories we've achieved where Rhodes didn't make the starting eleven, I suppose.

I've tried to explain this to you several times before, but there are so many variables in a game of football that to pin success on one player, particularly one who can be as peripheral as Rhodes at times, is laughable.

Take a game like Bournemouth away, for example - we started with Paterson and Kachunga, who both played well, closing down the Bournemouth backline and cutting off their routes out of defence. We then swapped Paterson for Rhodes on 55 minutes with the score at 1-0 to us, conceded ten minutes later, then scored the winner in injury time when Rhodes got on the end of a great cross from Harris.

You could look at that and say Rhodes scored, so he should have started, but that would be massively over-simplistic. Paterson and Kachunga were central to a lot of our good play during the first 55 minutes, during which we led 1-0. Without their input, that first half or so could have turned out very differently. On that occasion, using Rhodes from the bench worked brilliantly - we got the best out of him and the other forwards at our disposal.

That's just one snapshot of how other players have a contribution to make in certain games, and the idea that we must play Rhodes at every opportunity and regardless of the game at hand is ridiculous.

He's a useful option. Managers are using him. Admittedly not in the way that you want, but as they see best.

Could also say about Bournemouth that kachunga missed an absolute sitter and Patterson’s goal was extremely fortunate due to a poor finish

Rhodes might not be great but he is our best finisher. In a scenario where we may not get lots of chances we need these to fall to our best option

Look at the Rotherham game. If a couple of those chances has fallen to Rhodes and not Patterson then I’d guess we’d be looking at a victory and not a defeat

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Holmowl said:

There you go again. Do you only have one discussion topic on here. We do have other players. Also, you, your very self, have been banging on about Rhodes not being played for years and you pounce on me when I’m replying to someone else. You can’t have it both ways. 

I read the following the other day: 

Rhodes has 1 goal every 5.5 games in the last 5 years

Marriot has 1 goal every 3.25 games in the last 5 years

I think it shows how bad our club is when people are banging on about Rhodes deserving to start every game. 

"we are desperate for a 1 in 5.5 striker to be picked every game" Crazy times.

On 16/03/2021 at 19:37, @owlstalk said:

All recent managers have not played Rhodes or played to his strengths

All recent managers have failed

We're getting relegated

All recent managers haven't recruited or had the opportunity to recruit better than Rhodes or replaced Fletcher (even with a tin pot version). This is the issue. 

Guest T Hardy
5 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Played well again last night. Did great in the lone striker role again despite not being able to play it according to the experts on here.

I agree, although I think you’ll find it’s mostly his biggest supporters on here who used to insist he needed someone up front with him

5 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Played well again last night. Did great in the lone striker role again despite not being able to play it according to the experts on here.

Agree, thought he did well. I don't know why he's always subbed off on 60 minutes though, every manager we've had has done the same. 

Helped having 2 wide players further up the pitch with him so he wasn't so isolated. 

Rhodes has looked sharper and stronger the past few months. Any coincidence with contract running out? Playing for a new one or putting himself in the shop window.

Surprise he gets away with much criticism from our fanbase, as why the hell was he so weak and fragile the previous three seasons. He has definitely shown more application and work rate recently.

Patterson chance at end Windass or Rhodes probably score, especially Rhodes. Mr Moore had taken them both off.

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Can honestly say I didn't notice him that much last night apart from him being subbed.

He played well last night, I thought.  I think the set-up helped a bit, seemed to be a compact diamond up top, so he had players close to him.  

59 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Can honestly say I didn't notice him that much last night apart from him being subbed.

He made four defensive headed clearances from their set pieces that kept us in the game. It's not just his production at the other end that matters.

Rhodes has played well in these last couple of games.

Last month, Thompson spoke of him adding some aggression to his game, and it certainly looks that way seeing him playing that lone striker role more effectively than many of us would have dared to hope he might, based on previous performances.

It's quite interesting that Rhodes has featured in our top three performers in a game on three occasions this season according to whoscored.com's statistical analysis, and two of them have been in the past two games.

Perhaps we're going to witness a mini-Rhodes renaissance before he presumably departs Hillsborough in the summer?

1929394692_Screenshot2021-03-18at19_13_09.thumb.png.6ea4aef90513d633aeaad029c1a25ca8.png

39 minutes ago, Jaytee said:

Consummate professional. Gets messed around by every manager and never complains. Not his fault the team don’t play to his strengths. 

He should have complained and showed he was bothered.
Too happy to sit around picking up his £35k per week and not do much for it for my liking.