Jordan Rhodes

22 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I'll repeat myself. We were told Rhodes "guarantees goals" so often it became almost a catchphrase on here. Now that has proven to be far from the case with countless teammates, numerous managers and who knows how many tactical variations, his advocates are getting stroppy about it and trying to rearrange the entire universe to try and rescue what they can from it. No player I can remember has come close to the variety of excuses offered on his behalf. Even some of his strongest supporters acknowledge he offers little apart from finishing, so if his record at even that is modest, what is left?

Straw man sloganeering to hide behind as usual. I have been far more occupied with those employing double standards in judging them than the players themselves. If I despised Rhodes, I wouldn't have suggested he should have played more often this season or praised his excellent goal at Bournemouth. Nuhiu was no more than a reasonable rotation option for us at the time who was unfairly singled out for disproportionate criticism.

Yet every Rhodes thread you are drawn to like a moth to a flame doing your utmost to discredit him.

• Thanks 1

Guest T Hardy
4 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Yet every Rhodes thread you are drawn to like a moth to a flame doing your utmost to discredit him.

I dunno, I think it goes both ways. I think it’s a good antidote to the “HA see, Rhodes just needs the service” threads we see every time Rhodes scores..

13 hours ago, Holmowl said:

In any Rhodes thread it’s worth updating the options we have.

Rhodes 4 goals 805 mins - goal per 201 mins

Paterson 6 goals 2203 mins - goal per 370 mins

Windass 5 goals 1949 mins - goal per 375 mins

Marriott 0 goals 387 mins

Kachunga 0 goals 896 mins

Mind-blowingly rank bad management this season to keep him in the stands.

It just makes no sense does it - what a strange club we have become.

5 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

I dunno, I think it goes both ways. I think it’s a good antidote to the “HA see, Rhodes just needs the service” threads we see every time Rhodes scores..

To be fair, this is only the twelfth one we've been able to have since he joined four years ago.

Remember last season's edition when he scored all three of his goals for the season in 37 minutes against Forest, though? That one was my favourite.

:duntmatter:

I kid of course, but even as someone who's defended Rhodes on here in the past, the simplistic notion that we must play him in every game, regardless of opposition or gameplan, is mindnumbingly facile.

3 hours ago, MARTY BOY said:

He wouldn't be in any starting eleven of mine. 

40 goals and 23 assists (and all of that unrecorded hold-up play) means Nuhiu would get in my starting eleven before Rhodes.  Plus you don't have to play to Nuhiu's strengths or give him a run of games for him to contribute like you apparently have to with Rhodes.  I'm glad that Rhodes is coming good now but it's taken 4 years for him to do so.  All this Rhodes apologist drivel just p155e5 me off - why have some people made excuses for him?  If I'd have failed at work in the same way Rhodes has at Hillsborough, I'd be out on my arse.  It's baffling.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shandypants said:

40 goals and 23 assists (and all of that unrecorded hold-up play) means Nuhiu would get in my starting eleven before Rhodes.  Plus you don't have to play to Nuhiu's strengths or give him a run of games for him to contribute like you apparently have to with Rhodes.  I'm glad that Rhodes is coming good now but it's taken 4 years for him to do so.  All this Rhodes apologist drivel just p155e5 me off - why have some people made excuses for him?  If I'd have failed at work in the same way Rhodes has at Hillsborough, I'd be out on my arse.  It's baffling.  

That makes no sense.

Every half-decent manager plays to the strengths of their chosen striker(s). 

16 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

That makes no sense.

Every half-decent manager plays to the strengths of their chosen striker(s). 

It makes perfect sense. Every half-decent manager does not sacrifice his team for the sake one player that does not have the ability to adapt to team tactics. 
There is a reason that almost all of the managers we’ve had over the last 4 years have not fancied Rhodes. 

2 hours ago, shandypants said:

It makes perfect sense. Every half-decent manager does not sacrifice his team for the sake one player that does not have the ability to adapt to team tactics. 
There is a reason that almost all of the managers we’ve had over the last 4 years have not fancied Rhodes. 

And how's that gone?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, shandypants said:

Wow!

So your view is that by starting Rhodes more we wouldn’t have more points than we’ve got from preferring Windass, Paterson and Kachunga up front?

Interesting but very minority view.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

All recent managers have not played Rhodes or played to his strengths

All recent managers have failed

We're getting relegated

Nearly all recent managers played him, he scored, results were good, binned him after he didn’t score in the next game, results turned bad again 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Nearly all recent managers played him, he scored, results were good, binned him after he didn’t score in the next game, results turned bad again 

Correlation doesn't imply causation, of course.

Why do you think all these managers chose not to play Rhodes more regularly than they did?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

All recent managers have not played Rhodes or played to his strengths

All recent managers have failed

We're getting relegated

All managers were working under Chansiri and Paixo.

His reign is taking us down, points deductions, unpaid wages, awful recruitment, lack of sponsorship etc etc.

On the pitch we have failed in many basic aspects. So many points thrown away, mentally weak with poor performances all over the shop.

Our managers havent managed plenty of players correctly.

Rhodes player didnt make a difference when started regularly. Other strikers outperformed.him.

The idea playing one player more and building everything to suit him would save us is ridiculous.

Its a combination of fuckups that kills you.

Edited by Belfast Owl 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

All managers were working under Chansiri and Paixo.

His reign is taking us down, points deductions, unpaid wages, awful recruitment, lack of sponsorship etc etc.

On the pitch we have failed in many basic aspects. So many points thrown away, mentally weak with poor performances all over the shop.

Our managers havent managed plenty of players correctly.

Rhodes player didnt make a difference when started regularly. Other strikers outperformed.him.

The idea playing one player more and building everything to suit him would save us is ridiculous.

Its a combination of fuckups that kills you.

He’s only started 7 and he really did make a difference.

Cardiff 2-0 

Watford 0-0

Swansea 1-0

Wycombe 1-0 

Stoke 0-0

Brentford 0-3

Norwich 1-1

That's the scores when he was subbed. Apart from Wycombe it’s a very tough set of opponents, yet AS A TEAM, we did extremely well with him leading the line.

I will never understand why he’s played 800 minutes, with Paterson, Windass, Kachunga and Marriott as our alternatives.

• Like 2