OFFICIAL CLUB STATEMENT REGARDING LIAM SHAW

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Shame we didn’t extend his contract after he made his debut vs Boro. Should be standard practice now.

Been done to death now but when a player chooses to leave in a manner that ensures we don’t get paid properly then it leaves a bitter taste for me.

We aren't getting "paid properly" for Shaw because we let his contract run out. Done blame Shaw, it's not his fault we are incompetent. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Shame we didn’t extend his contract after he made his debut vs Boro. Should be standard practice now.

Been done to death now but when a player chooses to leave in a manner that ensures we don’t get paid properly then it leaves a bitter taste for me.

Therefore it’s up to the club to ensure this scenario doesn’t happen.

Club should have shown loyalty to Shaw by not letting him go into the last year of his contract. Young lad needs security in the game. We didn’t offer it him until it was too late. 

• Like 3

We weren't in some race for his signature  - he was already ours.

That we didn't ensure he stayed ours at an earlier point falls on the club. 

If you get to within two months of your contract ending and your agent isn't trying to look at potential other options - you need a new agent.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Therefore it’s up to the club to ensure this scenario doesn’t happen.

Club should have shown loyalty to Shaw by not letting him go into the last year of his contract. Young lad needs security in the game. We didn’t offer it him until it was too late. 

I’ve already covered that. But there’s a deal on the table and takes two to tango. 

8 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

I think the major part of the statement is being overlooked. The part about Celtic are now no longer corresponding since the manager was sacked is the most revealing. The legal action is surely related to this. If Celtic are now not interested or are having second thoughts and wasting time that both swfc and player could be using to sort a new contract here or look at other clubs interest in Shaw. This has to be what legal avenues are being looked at. 

This could and looks very likely to have been a bit of luck on our part and I can see Shaw now staying with us. If Celtic still want him they showing a strange way of going about it

I don't think Celtic have any obligation to talk to Wednesday now. Shaw has signed a pre contract agreement with them, that's done and dusted. They just have to wait until his contract with us ends and he can sign for them. They will have to pay us the stipulated FIFA 'training compensation'.

The problem for Celtic is facing possible sanctions if we can prove they contacted Shaw before speaking to Wednesday.

It is a risk too for Shaw because if he gets injured or has an non football related accident that stops him from playing for a while. Celtic could just rip the pre contract up as it's debatable whether it's legally binding. Shaw would then find himself without a club and no income.

Just now, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I don't think Celtic have any obligation to talk to Wednesday now. Shaw has signed a pre contract agreement with them, that's done and dusted. They just have to wait until his contract with us ends and he can sign for them. They will have to pay us the stipulated FIFA 'training compensation'.

The problem for Celtic is facing possible sanctions if we can prove they contacted Shaw before speaking to Wednesday.

It is a risk too for Shaw because if he gets injured or has an non football related accident that stops him from playing for a while. Celtic could just rip the pre contract up as it's debatable whether it's legally binding. Shaw would then find himself without a club and no income.

Sam Hutchinson could if he got injured in training today and therefore missed his contract extension clause

Owlstalk Shop

18 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

The other stipulation of rule 18.3 is they (Celtic) have to contact the player's current club in writing before talking to the player or his agent.

The question is did they speak to Wednesday first or Shaw first?

'18.3 A club intending to conclude a contract with a professional must inform the player’s current club in writing before entering into negotiations with him. A professional shall only be free to conclude a contract with another club if his contract with his present club has expired or is due to expire within six months. Any breach of this provision shall be subject to appropriate sanctions'.

That relates to a contracted (more than 6 months) player. A player is "only free" to conclude a contract when expired or 6 months left. So at 6 months he is free to discuss.

24 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I don't know what the procedure normally is. The wording suggests to me that more correspondence is required and Celtic are dragging their feet, thus swfc looking at the legal situation to see whats is binding and whats not.

Why else would the club need to contemplate legal action, only if celtic are not holding up to their side of the bargain ???

5 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Shaw remains a Sheffield Wednesday player until the expiry of his current contract and will be available for selection for the remainder of the season.

We will make no further comment at this time.

I have an irrational hatred of that last sentence.  

“He’s some poo news for you to digest with little info. We aren’t going to tell you the rest... Just let you stew over the negativity” 

• Like 1

to me it's  pretty obvious this would and probably should have gone through in January  but for whatever reason  - maybe due to us not having a proper manager - it didn't  

hence why he signed 'pre-contact' and so today's 'statements' that would have been unnecessary have become necessary and added further disdain to this disaster of a season 

a clean break in January would have been so much better 

good luck Liam, correct decision, but you should not play for us again - cake and eat it?  

7 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I really wouldn't play him in the 1st team now, why should he take the place of somebody that wants to be here and wants to play for the club.

Which player would you replace him with that won't be leaving at the same time as Liam Shaw?

Owlstalk Shop