OFFICIAL CLUB STATEMENT REGARDING LIAM SHAW

What an absolute cluster**** this is.  If only there was a written document that detailed when a player was committed to a club until.  Some sort of legally binding arrangement, a "contract of employment" if you will.  This would give clubs a heads up on when players were due to be free to leave.  This would allow a club to then plan ahead.  

16 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Which is why fans have calling for Chansiri to have a Director of Football.

Or even just a CEO, who is given the specific authority to discuss and negotiate contracts with individual players on behalf of the club.

• Like 1

Just now, owl_83 said:

I think that is where buying and Selling come into it. You move divisions and you move on players who are too good or not good enough. Chansiri has no idea about selling players, he just waits until their contract runs down.

I think the way Chansiri thinks it should work is basically:

1) player's contract is due to end in the summer

2) player does nothing, rebuffs all other potential employers and then waits until his current employer knows what division the club will be in next year

3) player waits another couple of months after that, because, let's face it, it's DC

4) if player is lucky, DC may offer him a 1 year extension to his contract

5) the process begins again.

Meeting as S6

PR intern: "We're getting pelters on social media for letting Shaw go, what do we do about it?"

Chansiri/PR Chief: "Put out an official club statement to gain us some sympathy points"

5 minutes later...

BlindGlassEsok-small.gif

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Not that it matters, but yes, I would have done, absolutely. I'd have offered him a 3-year deal on a bog standard League One salary, based on the fact he had had a decent League Two followed by League One loan spell. I'd have structured it so there were wage rises after x number of games played with performance incentives, but a bog standard League One salary for the most part.

Looking at his career, it probably would have been a bit of a swing and a miss in terms of how "good" he's turned out, but it wouldn't have wasted anywhere near as much money as other players we've had at the club, and at the end of the day, it looks like odds are decent he could be playing against us next season. 

Perversely (and far more ideally in this alternate reality), it's turned out that maybe he would just be one less League One signing we'd need to make and we could just extend his contract.

Great post.

Rather we took a low risk gamble on Clare or lumped the side with crap players on more money? Like Brown, Kachunga and Windass?

It’s a no brainer to get your young lads tied down. It’s so important. If they break into the team you benefit. If they’re any good you can them sell them for profit. And if they don’t work out, it’s really not that much of a drain on the clubs resources. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

Wouldn't it be better if they offered Liam a better deal even if he did end up leaving...It wouldn't make the club look so inept 

Offering a player more money to try and keep them, when it's been announced that he doesn't want to stay, and then confirmed by Sheffield Wednesday on the official site wouldn't make us look so inept?

Owlstalk Shop

17 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Not that it matters, but yes, I would have done, absolutely. I'd have offered him a 3-year deal on a bog standard League One salary, based on the fact he had had a decent League Two followed by League One loan spell. I'd have structured it so there were wage rises after x number of games played with performance incentives, but a bog standard League One salary for the most part.

Looking at his career, it probably would have been a bit of a swing and a miss in terms of how "good" he's turned out, but it wouldn't have wasted anywhere near as much money as other players we've had at the club, and at the end of the day, it looks like odds are decent he could be playing against us next season. 

Perversely (and far more ideally in this alternate reality), it's turned out that maybe he would just be one less League One signing we'd need to make and we could just extend his contract.

BTW DC, I'll be your DoF for next to nowt, I'll do it for the love of the club.

Call me baby.

I think also that it's worth remembering the chairman's comments about Liam Shaw and how the fans had said nothing last summer to tell him that it might be worth signing Shaw onto a contract so other clubs can't nick him

Where does THAT stuff that the chairman said about the fans fit into any of this now?

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

15 minutes ago, bobness said:

Meeting as S6

PR intern: "We're getting pelters on social media for letting Shaw go, what do we do about it?"

Chansiri/PR Chief: "Put out an official club statement to gain us some sympathy points"

5 minutes later...

BlindGlassEsok-small.gif

No one with any experience in football comms would ever put out that sort of statement unless they were forced to by DC.

• Like 2

Really strange scenario and i really don't know what to make of it all.
Gutted he's leaving because he has shown promise, how far he can go is unknown at this moment, he's raw but shown some really good glimpses.

He signed his first professional contract two years ago.

He should have been tied down long before this could've ever happened so why wasn't he?

He's been around the first team picture for a few years now, training with them etc, surely they'd have recognised what they had on their hands.
Did they really think he would be good enough to make the transition to the first team?
Has he just burst onto the scene and hit the ground running in a struggling team and taken them all by suprise?

Could he be another one that has shown so much promise early on he soon fizzles out like Sean Clare, Ash Baker and the countless others that left thinking they were better off.
Did the coaches believe he had so much promise?
If we were doing well in the league do Shaw and Urhoghide even get a chance to prove themselves?
Alex Hunt was the one coming through everyone banged on about now the tables have flipped.

To protect ourselves in the future we need to include a simple clause which is very much common practice (we had one in Pelupessy's which was activated at the end of last season) in that every young player contracted to the club can exercise to extend the current deal by a further year (gives more time to sort a contract or demand a fee) 

It happens at every club a up and coming youngster ends up leaving for peanuts compared to their value,

Ethan Ampadu left Exeter for Chelsea, Fulham have lost a eyewatering amount cash wise with Harvey Elliot and Moussa Dembele, look at any team and it happens.

In terms of where they are all at, at a similar age to Shaw they are more well known and have more than 24 professional games to their names.

Even through sales look at our neighbours they got 1.5M for DCL 2.5 for Harry Maguire now Manchester United captain.
If he ends up going on to the top then good luck to him fair play.

Are we just so pis*ed off with it because he's a Wednesday fan and we literally never bring any talent through?

Does it come down to Shaw's character? Moving for the money? Driven by progressing his career and thinking it's a good development move.

Do we have that kind of reputation where players don't to come here or sign longer deals? (worrying if so, especially when your own are leaving)

News travels fast in football and when you're missing payments for wages etc it doesn't look appealing to players.

It'd be interesting to hear the thought of the likes of Thompson and Bullen, people who have seen his development.

Same goes for Osaze Uroghide.

Overall it's completely our own fault for not protecting ourselves by implementing a simple contract clause, it's a massive wake up call to the club and something which should have already been in place but now they need to make sure it's in place.
What's done is done, really would've liked to have seen him stay and be apart of our first 11 next season continuing his development but so be it. 
Let's stop this nonsense as well about dropping him because he's leaving. He's a Wednesday fan, he will only want what's best for the club and i rather see him play while-ever there's still a chance of survival (slim)

Good luck to the Lad.

• Love 3

One of Katrien Meire's tasks was to sort out the contracts of the academy players, she left/sacked before this was put into place unfortunately, another chance missed. 

Edited by EBRA
  • Like 5

It’s Liam Shaw folks, not Kante. He’s not pulled up that many trees. We’ve played some poor sides this year and he was non-existent. The decision is purely money based. A 19 year old should be thinking opportunities and wanting to play regular, not money. He could be a regular in a league one side next year and gain valuable experience and help him develop. Not interested, let the lad move on, don’t play him
UTO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1