OFFICIAL CLUB STATEMENT REGARDING LIAM SHAW

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

"We are currently investigating this matter and will consider if there are any further steps available to protect the club’s interest."

There are

Make the club a place where players want to play, and at the same time make contract offers that they want to sign before any other clubs do

I agree

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, malek said:

This! 

Some people expect that only players should be loyal. It is supposed to go both ways. 

Chansiri refused to show any loyalty to Shaw or trust in his talent by refusing to offer him longer deal until it was too late. Why expect Shaw to be loyal after that?! Loyalty should be earned and we did nothing to earn Shaw's. 

apart from give him professional coaching from 12 year old

DC can do no right. Shaw has only just broken into first team. I refuse to believe that DC has gone against the manager at the time advice on whether Shaw should be offered a longer term contract. Monk was probably in charge when at the start of the season and Shaw was playing under 23. From Monks signings he could not recognise potential if it smacked him in the face. Monk never had any faith in our youth team and preferred signing non descript over priced players from 1st and 2nd division reserves. If the chairman has taken it upon himself to judge potential of our  youth over the manager i would be amazed. DC has once again been given shoddy advice and is paying the price for it literally. 

Its about time that we start to look at other reasons as well as DC for the reasons SWFC are failing atm. He can be blamed for lots of things but not everything is solely his fault

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

DC can do no right. Shaw has only just broken into first team. I refuse to believe that DC has gone against the manager at the time advice on whether Shaw should be offered a longer term contract. Monk was probably in charge when at the start of the season and Shaw was playing under 23. From Monks signings he could not recognise potential if it smacked him in the face. Monk never had any faith in our youth team and preferred signing non descript over priced players from 1st and 2nd division reserves. If the chairman has taken it upon himself to judge potential of our  youth over the manager i would be amazed. DC has once again been given shoddy advice and is paying the price for it literally. 

Its about time that we start to look at other reasons as well as DC for the reasons SWFC are failing atm. He can be blamed for lots of things but not everything is solely his fault

Stop and consider that DC has refused to surround himself with competent football advisors. If he had bought the club yesterday you might have point, but not five or six years on, sorry.

DC needing to be involved in all player dealings (despite knowing nothing about football!) is not the way to run a healthy club. But that's how DC wants it. All blame should be laid squarely on DC.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

absolutely pathetic, throwing toys out of the pram because we haven't done enough to secure a new contract with him. Get a fecking grip DC, your meant to be a business man and you've learn't fizz all in your time here. Getting beyond a joke this club. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Monk is the manager that brought him into the squad and gave him his first start.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Monk was probably in charge when at the start of the season and Shaw was playing under 23. From Monks signings he could not recognise potential if it smacked him in the face. Monk never had any faith in our youth team and preferred signing non descript over priced players from 1st and 2nd division reserves.  

Monk was the manager who had faith in him, recognised his potential and preferred him enough to give him his break in the first team

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Owlstalk Shop

25 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Monk was the manager who had faith in him, recognised his potential and preferred him enough to give him his break in the first team

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I still can't believe there are fans who will do anything other than blame DC for the mess we're in

It beggars belief.

A simple thing like having an extra year option on all youth players contracts could have avoided the whole situation entirely.

Katrien did it but then it stopped when she left

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pieman said:

It’s beyond belief mate. It extends to other fans who dare to try and make positive comments. You are insulted for actually supporting the team...

Not exactly. Just find it strange that some people still continue to support and back a man who has car crashed our club and potentially its future. Also worth remembering these supporters of DC are just "customers" and their money doesn't really count for much in his eyes. O and its usually their, alongside every other fans', fault for the mess he has created.

Why would you support someone who thinks so little of you in return?

45 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Not exactly. Just find it strange that some people still continue to support and back a man who has car crashed our club and potentially its future. Also worth remembering these supporters of DC are just "customers" and their money doesn't really count for much in his eyes. O and its usually their, alongside every other fans', fault for the mess he has created.

Why would you support someone who thinks so little of you in return?

No offence, but again your post makes assumptions and misses the point. The point being made is as a supporter, I support the club. If the club does something good, I will say so. Equally, I watch players and matches on a game by game basis. If an unpopular player has a good game, I will say so. If a popular player has a poor game (in my opinion of course), I will also say so. The problem is, with this new wave of social media channels, people merge points together and generalise and then attack other people for attempting to be positive about individual issues or topics. At no point have I said I support Chansiri - ever, during his tenure.

I think Chansiri has completely mismanaged SWFC and almost singlehanded carries the responsibility for our relegation to division 3. He is a stubborn, naive, idiot it would seem. However,  in the example above, that’s doesn’t mean I will accept a system which allows Scottish clubs to ‘poach’ our players without consequence and I will support my club, if it tries to address this injustice.

If Watford from England signs Shaw, they are required to pay fair compensation.

If Cardiff from Wales who play in the English leagues, but are in another country in UEFAs eyes, sign him, they have to pay compensation.

If Celtic sign him, another country from a UEFA viewpoint, who do not play in the English leagues, no adequate compensation is due.

Yet all three clubs exist in a single country, the UK, operating within the same markets and market forces. Equally, all three teams can qualify for UEFA competitions and are therefore in competition with each other - why therefore, should rules be different across UEFA or UK borders? It is totally wrong and needs addressing. I will support my club to do this, irrespective of how incompetent Chansiri is or how we managed to get OURSELVES into this position. Many wrongs, certainly do not make a right. There isn’t a single solution to stop this happening again. However, each one of them needs to be addressed. Chansiri, structure, DOF, the managers authority levels and UEFA rules...

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

However,  in the example above, that’s doesn’t mean I will accept a system which allows Scottish clubs to ‘poach’ our players without consequence and I will support my club, if it tries to address this injustice.

If Cardiff from Wales who play in the English leagues, but are in another country in UEFAs eyes, sign him, they have to pay compensation.

If Celtic sign him, another country from a UEFA viewpoint, who do not play in the English leagues, no adequate compensation is due.

Yet all three clubs exist in a single country, the UK, operating within the same markets and market forces. Equally, all three teams can qualify for UEFA competitions and are therefore in competition with each other - why therefore, should rules be different across UEFA or UK borders? It is totally wrong and needs addressing.

I agree it's  a bit of a mess.

If he left us and signed for another club within the jurisdiction of the English F.A  such as Watford and we had offered him another contract, which we had, then we would be entitled to compensation.

That would be a figure agreed between the clubs or failing that it would be decided by a tribunal.

Bear in mind he couldn't be approached by another club in England until a month before his contract expires at the earliest.

As it's an international transfer between different national F.A.'s, the level of compensation amount is a fixed rate set by FIFA. If he was going to another English club we might have got more compensation or less, we don't know.

Unfortunately it happens all the time that foreign clubs can take promising young players from clubs of another country with them having 6 months or less left on their contracts, for a relatively small amount of compensation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I believe Chansiri has only reacted so publicly, because yet again he has been caught with his pants down. He has come out with staggeringly stupid comments to the press regarding players that have shown huge promise since joining the club as little kids, some like Liam Shaw from as young as 8 years old! If the fans have been telling him to get them signed up, I cannot imagine that the coaches who have worked with these players, many of them since they were little boys as young as 8, have not done the same. For him to come out and say that these players have suddenly looked really good and only now we have realised that they were really good, yet teams from Scotland, Leicester etc have seen the potential and snatched them from under our noses is simply not good enough. The idiot actually insinuates that either the fans should have clamoured for these players signatures earlier, because nobody at the club actually knew how good they were! The man is an absolute clown and his press statement should just be signed yours total d!ckhead Dejphon Chansiri, because every single member of the staff at Sheffield Wednesday knows more about football than he does and these statements are his own personal cover ups, these statements are nothing to do with the FOOTBALL CLUB and everything to do with the stupid spoiled brat of an owner.

I can't see where he insunaties anything regardinging the fans and what does he do if the agent tells the player not to sign? 

Doesn't matter if DC has all the advice in the world to get him signed up, if they won't sign then there is little he can do.  I would think all the coaches were telling him to sign Clare from an earlier age as well. 

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

No offence, but again your post makes assumptions and misses the point. The point being made is as a supporter, I support the club. If the club does something good, I will say so. Equally, I watch players and matches on a game by game basis. If an unpopular player has a good game, I will say so. If a popular player has a poor game (in my opinion of course), I will also say so. The problem is, with this new wave of social media channels, people merge points together and generalise and then attack other people for attempting to be positive about individual issues or topics. At no point have I said I support Chansiri - ever, during his tenure.

I think Chansiri has completely mismanaged SWFC and almost singlehanded carries the responsibility for our relegation to division 3. He is a stubborn, naive, idiot it would seem. However,  in the example above, that’s doesn’t mean I will accept a system which allows Scottish clubs to ‘poach’ our players without consequence and I will support my club, if it tries to address this injustice.

Yet all three clubs exist in a single country, the UK, operating within the same markets and market forces. Equally, all three teams can qualify for UEFA competitions and are therefore in competition with each other - why therefore, should rules be different across UEFA or UK borders? It is totally wrong and needs addressing. I will support my club to do this, irrespective of how incompetent Chansiri is or how we managed to get OURSELVES into this position. Many wrongs, certainly do not make a right. There isn’t a single solution to stop this happening again. However, each one of them needs to be addressed. Chansiri, structure, DOF, the managers authority levels and UEFA rules...

You have got to learn to separate the man from the club though. The club does not make all the big decisions, it is not some special entity that has a mind of its own. White went for next to nothing, Hirst went for next to nothing, Claire went for next to nothing and now Shaw, probably the most promising of the lot, is going to go for next to nothing. There are five or six other very promising young players who could also go the same way, because nothing has been done about them either. Who do you think has made this club such easy prey? The idiot still counts Paixo as his trusted advisor yet some of Paixo's former associates (or still best buddies as far as we know) were responsible for at least two of our promising young players leaving for peanuts, so where does that leave things?  Are we going to wait for another foreign or Scottish club to pop in with their mini-cheques before we decide to do something? None of these events are down to some magical club entity, they are all down to individuals. I know absolutely nothing about how DC got his money, or what his other business interest may be, or how good he is at anything else in his life, but I do know what he told us when he first arrived and he has continued to prove that fact every season since then. He knows sweet FA (and sweet EFL) about football. I am not the kind of fan that is going to support any organisation that I know is wrong, but I dearly love my club and for what he is doing to my club I dearly dislike Chansiri and what he has done to our club. He is dragging it and all of us, by association, with him through the dirt. As far as I am concerned the sooner the actions of Chansiri and the actions of the club are separated the better. Bring on league 1, because it has been coming for a couple of years or more now and that will be nothing compared to where we could end up under this fool.

16 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I can't see where he insunaties anything regardinging the fans and what does he do if the agent tells the player not to sign? 

Doesn't matter if DC has all the advice in the world to get him signed up, if they won't sign then there is little he can do.  I would think all the coaches were telling him to sign Clare from an earlier age as well. 

"I heard from my people, they told me some fans say 'why didn't we try to sign him last year or before'.

"I believe no-one last year, or before in the summer, no-one talked about Liam Shaw. They just tried to talk about him when he is in the first XI and he is doing okay.

He started at the club when he was 8 and played many games at a higher age group before getting into our first team. Neil Thompson was the head coach for the title winning U23 team, so he knew how good these players were and I have heard lots of very good things about some of our young players just by going to a few of the games. 

Just now, Ante's Bubbly said:

"I heard from my people, they told me some fans say 'why didn't we try to sign him last year or before'.

"I believe no-one last year, or before in the summer, no-one talked about Liam Shaw. They just tried to talk about him when he is in the first XI and he is doing okay.

He started at the club when he was 8 and played many games at a higher age group before getting into our first team. Neil Thompson was the head coach for the title winning U23 team, so he knew how good these players were and I have heard lots of very good things about some of our young players just by going to a few of the games. 

The agents will weigh up the contracts the average to good will probably be happy to sign long term contract.  The very good will probably just sign a short term one to keep their options open.

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Right - let's stop with all the name calling 

Make a point - you make some valid points - but don't include any name calling - it's unacceptable

Sorry you are totally right. I am having an upsetting time at the moment on a number of different fronts and the lovely comments from the lovely man flipped my lid. I promise to go away and simmer down now. I apologise to any Owlstalk members that may have been offended by my overly passionate comments. 

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The agents will weigh up the contracts the average to good will probably be happy to sign long term contract.  The very good will probably just sign a short term one to keep their options open.

So they think they are so good that they do not sign say a 5 year contract, prior to playing in the first team when they are 16, 17, or 18? Does the club not have the right to say take it or leave it? Blimey if the player/agent think they are that good, they should be playing for Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea etc and if they are really good players they should be playing first team football somewhere when they are 17, 18 or 19 years old.

The player himself said that the club were sorting things out with his agent because he wanted to stay here and the next minute he's off to Celtic in the summer! Surely if we had sorted out a deal before then this could not have happened or am I missing something? As many others have said the precedent for our club was already set and some of us have done our homework with regards to what other teams offer their young players wage wise and what ridiculous wages we prefer to offer to older players that are past it. These things are not the fault of the players or their agents it is our approach to player recruitment, our approach to developing players and moving them into the first team and the over emphasis on paying older unfit players way more than they are worth.

20 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Sorry you are totally right. I am having an upsetting time at the moment on a number of different fronts and the lovely comments from the lovely man flipped my lid. I promise to go away and simmer down now. I apologise to any Owlstalk members that may have been offended by my overly passionate comments. 

No problem - I did think it was out of character

Owlstalk Shop