Attracting Players for Next Season

1 hour ago, Beauchief Owl said:

All of which makes me think the only strategy we have is to have no strategy. All short term knee-jerk stuff.

It’s pitiful it really is. Maybe, just maybe by sheer blind luck we might get a decent L1 team together. Moore does have good contacts in the game and was on the management committee of the PFA so there is a chance we might get the players we need. Just in time for Moore to be sacked by Chansiri on a whim!

Wednesday will be a very big club indeed in the Third.

And whatever wages we pay, they'll be more generous than a lot of teams at that level.

Add the Moore effect and you've got considerable pulling power.

If he could get players to go to Donny, then surely he can attract them here.

Think you are wrong, everyone starts at the same spot . We will be an attractive side to come to, Moore will have plenty of contacts.  There will be lots of players out of contract and i think we should be able to compete on wages. I hope Moore is allowed to choose the players and not the recruitment team

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Well yeah Paterson already edged out a mature Madine at Cardiff and he isn’t even a formally recognised striker 

Agree he’s fallen away, but I’m not sure he would be edged out by Paterson. Paterson isn’t a formally recognised striker because he has none of the attributes of a proper striker

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Agree he’s fallen away, but I’m not sure he would be edged out by Paterson. Paterson isn’t a formally recognised striker because he has none of the attributes of a proper striker

Well he was edged out by him and Paterson scored a few in the PL so he must be doing something right 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Well he was edged out by him and Paterson scored a few in the PL so he must be doing something right 🤷🏼‍♂️

Paterson tries hard but has very limited ability. If he'd been a good striker he'd have walked away with the match ball against Rotherham. I don't see him as a genuine target man or a prolific scorer even in L1.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Paterson tries hard but has very limited ability. If he'd been a good striker he'd have walked away with the match ball against Rotherham. I don't see him as a genuine target man or a prolific scorer even in L1.

Possibly, but I think he’s already done more for us at this level than Madine did, which is the context to my comment.

• Like 1

The main thing through all this thread for me is can moore pick the players that will be signed? If he is allowed to restructure the whole club as a ‘ club’ I have no doubt that the size pulling power and wages and Moore’s experience in this League will be enough to get us near the top of the league. My fear is that he won’t, the circus that is our recruitment will carry on and Moore will eventually loose patience and maybe even walk . Guess we’ll find out once first 1-2 players arrive and don’t forget we going to need nearly a full squad 

I'm confident that there are plenty of good players in League One, League Two and SPL who are affordable to us and would see even League One Sheffield Wednesday as an ambitious move in their careers and a step up, that would strive to prove that they are good enough to play for us.

Again, we can't afford to replace set of average Championship players with another one of average League One players as we don't want to change whole squad even if we manage to get promoted in next year or two. We need to spot players who can help us mount good push for promotion while showing potential to play Championship football in couple of years, or at least it should be a base of next seasons squad. But we must act quickly and with great purpose as young players that impress at level below will get picked by Championship clubs (like they picked Harry Pickering that we were very interested in). We probably can't afford to sign guy who scored 25 League One goals this season, but we must anticipate who is capable of scoring them next year or year after that.

Watching loads of lower league football, SPL and Premier League 2 I got list of some 10 to 15 players who caught an eye. And although not all on that least will turn into players we would want them to be they all have certain qualities that we would want in our squad going forward and potential to improve.

We already resigned Barry Bannan to probably make him our highest paid player for duration of his contract, and I'm scared that we will do same to tie down likes of Reach and Lees, giving us very little space to bring in fresh quality.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 07/03/2021 at 15:42, Beauchief Owl said:

In L1 Wednesday will be one of the most attractive clubs to play for no matter how bad we've been this season. Both Rotherham and Barnsley have gone down in recent years and found players of sufficient quality to make a quick return. DC will pay good wages re L1, the problem is our recruitment has been awful recently. Last summer we needed a CF and a LB, we still do, and now lots more as well.

Chansiri is our Chairman

His ineptitude counters and beats any positive move we could think of

The man is a complete and utter fool

Edited by quinnssweetshop
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, malek said:

I'm confident that there are plenty of good players in League One, League Two and SPL who are affordable to us and would see even League One Sheffield Wednesday as an ambitious move in their careers and a step up, that would strive to prove that they are good enough to play for us.

Again, we can't afford to replace set of average Championship players with another one of average League One players as we don't want to change whole squad even if we manage to get promoted in next year or two. We need to spot players who can help us mount good push for promotion while showing potential to play Championship football in couple of years, or at least it should be a base of next seasons squad. But we must act quickly and with great purpose as young players that impress at level below will get picked by Championship clubs (like they picked Harry Pickering that we were very interested in). We probably can't afford to sign guy who scored 25 League One goals this season, but we must anticipate who is capable of scoring them next year or year after that.

Watching loads of lower league football, SPL and Premier League 2 I got list of some 10 to 15 players who caught an eye. And although not all on that least will turn into players we would want them to be they all have certain qualities that we would want in our squad going forward and potential to improve.

We already resigned Barry Bannan to probably make him our highest paid player for duration of his contract, and I'm scared that we will do same to tie down likes of Reach and Lees, giving us very little space to bring in fresh quality.

Bannan could be a good player at that level, but I’m not sure Reach’s game would be suited

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Bannan could be a good player at that level, but I’m not sure Reach’s game would be suited

I don't doubt that both Reach and Lees would do a good job in League One, but I couldn't agree that they do it on 15 or 20k a week when those wages could help us repair our weak and unbalance squad.

• Love 2

On 07/03/2021 at 15:45, Captain Scarlett said:

garymegson Managed to find the likes of Dave Prutton, Rob Jones and Jose Semedo.  The players are there if you have the contacts and permission to bring them in.

I seriously doubt we have the money, the permission or contacts now to scout these types of players out.  Also  DC and his "advisors" would never sanction a manager getting his own squad assembled.

My thoughts entirely and add to that Llera, Buxton, Antonio , O’Grady. Any of them would walk into today’s team.

I don’t think the fact that we’re going to be in League1 will be what stops us attracting players. It’s whether we have the right people scouting, recruiting and signing them.

2 hours ago, malek said:

I don't doubt that both Reach and Lees would do a good job in League One, but I couldn't agree that they do it on 15 or 20k a week when those wages could help us repair our weak and unbalance squad.

This is the thing, they can be the best player but are they as good as 3/4 players that the salary they draw pays for? 

Add to that, they’re diminishing in value and quality whilst the 3/4 others it could pay for may be increasing. 

• Like 1

On 07/03/2021 at 16:00, bobowl said:

This is spot on, loans of young up and coming talent is the way forward. Chansiri needs to hire someone with really good football contacts( i know theres not a chance in hell this will happen).

Darren Moore should know some good players who will fit into his system. Chansiri & Stuffing man should let him get on with it. 

11 hours ago, malek said:

Care to share any of that list? 

On 07/03/2021 at 14:59, i used to be sc_owl said:

I think we are in real danger of dropping straight through League One because, the more I think about it, the more I think we will struggle to attract players.

When players are choosing clubs they will do a pro v con list, whether they actually write it down or just do it mentally.  They will think about the wages on offer, the stature of the club, the geographical location and the general impression of the club within the footballing world.

Let's face facts; our club's reputation is in the gutter.  We have struggled financially and players are reported to have had multiple issues with their pay.  We are not a fashionable club and as a city we are not as attractive as Greater Manchester, Liverpool and London.  We will not get the top calibre of player who is available for the Championship or League One.  Nor will we get the second tier of player.  We are going to be scraping the barrel for over-the-hill players seeking one last payday.  We will be left with players with injury or attitude problems; or players who are a pure gamble from the lower leagues.  

Taking the blue and white glasses off for a moment, I just don't see what we can offer players that our peers can't exceed.  We are a club with no stability at any level.  We have no direction or culture to sell to prospective players.  

Have a look at the locations of teams in league 1, I would say Sheffield is a better place than 90% of those teams. As for wages would you rather get paid 4k more a week even if it meant you waiting, if you even had to wait. 

It’s strange, most clubs who are relegated, from any division, look to have better players than most clubs in the division they are joining, but often there is no clear advantage. Ipswich for an example, had some good players when they dropped down, and were managed by coaches many on here suggested could do a job for us. They also have an excellent, and very productive youth system, all ingredients you would have thought might mean a short stay in that league. However, they remain in the third tier. Also free scoring Peterborough, constantly unearthing gems that after selling them on for big money, simply roll out another one. Traditionally bigger teams, such as Sunderland and Portsmouth, with all their travelling hordes, are still languishing in that division. 
As much as we all want us to build something solid if we do go down, it seems to me that the longer you remain in that division, the harder it is to get out. It’s almost as if we would be in a similar situation to when DC first took over, everything needing to be done sooner than later, but in this case, that might be the more prudent choice. Each year a, so called, bigger club remains in that division, the more they seem to be engulfed by lower league mediocrity 

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

Guest wilyfox
17 hours ago, gurujuan said:

How motivated would Bannan be in league one? Tudgay looked completely disinterested after we dropped last time. It’s all very well hoping their quality will show at a lower level, but only if they’re up for it - and on lesser wages. We’d be wise to clear the decks and rebuild so we don’t have a squad of players damaged by relegation, feeling sorry for themselves thinking they’re too good for league one.